welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Religion, Atheism, What-Have-You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Bunch of elitist, xenopobic knobs who think "not believing in god" is some grand intellectual achievement that puts them head and shoulder over the unwashed masses.

this is the thing that drives me crazy about those atheists. so many of the bigotries we've got today were reinforced if not established by religious institutions. so if you're going to make such a big deal of casting off religion, why keep all the really bad shit that came with it?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Whatcom is pretty awesome. I don't know about the shops, are you part of the horde that comes for our gas and milk? I'm mostly here for the outdoor life.

No, I'm part of that horde that comes for your power tools Smile

Grizzly Tools is the best. store. ever.

Also Point Roberts is pretty handy because I live close to it and just get online purchases shipped to a PO box there, then just pick it up bring it over the border myself. Customs usually doesn't care if it costs less than $50 and I save a ton on shipping fees. And the gas is cheap.

EDIT: I can also truthfully say I've run into more evangelical atheists than I have evangelical Christians. I don't have a problem with either of them, but it gets a little stale after a while.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, Point Roberts. That little nonsensical bump. We should give it to you, except I hear the grocery store and gas station make a killing (and pay taxes to WA).

Evangelical anything is annoying. Religious. Atheist. Cat lover. Runner. Vegetarian. Anything. Once you cross the line of being unable to talk about anything but X, or how Y current event relates or reminds you of X, you've lost the privilege of talking to me.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I'd prefer you didn't give us Point Roberts, it's too handy!

I'm sure the grocery store and gas station make a ton, it can take more than an hour to get through the border lineup on the Canadian side sometimes. I'm sure the two postal services there make a fair bit too.

Unfortunately I'm up in the mountains now, won't be back until springtime.

Dogen wrote:
Evangelical anything is annoying. Religious. Atheist. Cat lover. Runner. Vegetarian. Anything. Once you cross the line of being unable to talk about anything but X, or how Y current event relates or reminds you of X, you've lost the privilege of talking to me.

True dat.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:
Fun old saying: atheism is fine and dandy, until it becomes a religion.

That's quite an empty phrase. Atheism really isn't a thing. There's no content to be found in it, nothing to base ideas on.

It is a word we do not need.

Oh sure, since atheism signifies a non-belief. However I am sure you know what kind of atheists I am talking about. Yes, I speak of course about those geniuses that through their brilliant *reasoning* realized they believed in no God. Like I said I find it hilarious that they consider this a feat and quite sad about the elitist, looking down on people attitude it engenders.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:

That's quite an empty phrase. Atheism really isn't a thing. There's no content to be found in it, nothing to base ideas on.

Oh sure, since atheism signifies a non-belief. However I am sure you know what kind of atheists I am talking about. Yes, I speak of course about those geniuses that through their brilliant *reasoning* realized they believed in no God. Like I said I find it hilarious that they consider this a feat and quite sad about the elitist, looking down on people attitude it engenders.

While we're at it, let's lump in ideas like amorality, apolitical, apathy, atypical, and asexual while we're at it. They aren't really things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could also get rid of dark, since it's just the absence of light. Cold, because it's the absence of heat. Or maybe, sometimes it is useful to have words like that.

I do agree with the sentiment that being an atheist is not a reason to look down on people.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being tall is my excuse
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dianetics, with a dash of 'the secret'.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Feiticeira wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:

Do you not think this kind of behaviour/thinking is more representative of being a dick than of not taking comfort in the supernatural?

Darqcyde wrote:

While we're at it, let's lump in ideas like amorality, apolitical, apathy, atypical, and asexual while we're at it. They aren't really things.

Bart wrote:
We could also get rid of dark, since it's just the absence of light. Cold, because it's the absence of heat. Or maybe, sometimes it is useful to have words like that.

I do agree with the sentiment that being an atheist is not a reason to look down on people.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that antonyms are not helpful, but have you ever met a person who felt they needed a word to distinguish themselves from others who feel that astrology is a valid method for understanding our lives? After many years of reading Him's ideas about government has anyone here felt compelled to describe themselves as a non-anarchist?

Atheism is, it seems to me, even less helpful than those words would be because of the recent emergence of the claim that atheism is a religion itself, or a new form of dogmatism or a life philosophy. It simply isn't.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think saying atheism is becoming dogmatic is just shorthand for saying that many proponents of the idea that a deity doesn't exist are becoming dogmatic in their assertions. "Atheism" seems to have become a collective noun for "atheists," just like one can discuss both Christians and Christianity. I assume this switch is mostly due to it being kind of semantically linked to religious ideas by the nature of its opposition. That's just a guess, though.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Atheism as it describes a lack of belief is not really a thing. Personal philosophy, largely unimportant.

Atheism as it describes a (sometimes vehement) rejection of all forms of deism is a thing. The firm and unwavering belief that there is no God can lead to behavior damn similar to the firm and unwavering belief in any given god. Evangelism, intolerance, tribalism, general asshattery.

Quote:
Do you not think this kind of behaviour/thinking is more representative of being a dick than of not taking comfort in the supernatural?

Of course it is. But in this case it's a self-applied label for a certain subset of dicks. Just as many people use Christianity as an excuse to act like utter fuckwads, so too do some folks use atheism.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame r/atheism.

They apparently like to think they are brilliant for making "KKKristians" a term. None of the topics actually discuss atheism at all, just constantly talking about how to get back at/convert/disprove other religions.

I'll assume it's mostly people who resent being forced to go to church as children.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Being tall is my excuse

You can't use that as an excuse for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 6 of 45

Jump to: