welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-01-20: Gender Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are reading this completely wrong. It's not saying it's bad to play with dolls, or get married or wear makeup. It's just saying it's bad to force those ideals on people. They should get a choice. I never played with dolls as a child and still concider myself a functional woman, I'm not married either and I seldom ever wear makeup. And I'm happy. Feminists and Glossy are promoting freedom of choice, not the doctrine of society that says you are a bad person if you DON'T do this that and the other. It's not the dolls and marriage themselves that are bad you see. It's the fact that theres no option B. It's 'Girls are supposed to do this, they're supposed to wear pink and be ultra girly and laugh at all the guys jokes'. Which IS bullshit.
starkruzr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:
People are reading this completely wrong. It's not saying it's bad to play with dolls, or get married or wear makeup. It's just saying it's bad to force those ideals on people. They should get a choice. I never played with dolls as a child and still concider myself a functional woman, I'm not married either and I seldom ever wear makeup. And I'm happy. Feminists and Glossy are promoting freedom of choice, not the doctrine of society that says you are a bad person if you DON'T do this that and the other. It's not the dolls and marriage themselves that are bad you see. It's the fact that theres no option B. It's 'Girls are supposed to do this, they're supposed to wear pink and be ultra girly and laugh at all the guys jokes'. Which IS bullshit.

You have an evidently endless supply of patience.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsenSan wrote:

-"Women should NOT wear makeup and spend time getting ready!" That's fine. But remember that we men won't shave ourselves or use deodorant anymore.
-"Women should NOT get married!" What's this, some kind of hippie commune propaganda?
-"Women should NOT become sluts!" First of all, there are people who enjoy being sluts, men and women (although is waaaaay more difficult for men to do it), second, how-the-heck is this the next step after being married?

Sigh. Explain how maintaining personal hygiene, and shaving (thus making you not stab people in the face with your stubble) the same thing as painting all over your face, why there is a social pressure to find a girlfriend / boyfriend and to be married, and why it is socially acceptable to degrade a woman's persona into a sex toy...

Not to mention, there were some pretty good replies here.
The problem is that the closed-minded people are unwilling to comprehend these comics, and only those appreciate it who understand what it is trying to say.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succubus1982 wrote:

I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW, AT LEAST SOMEONE FUCKING GETS IT.

In other, slightly unrelated news, glad to see that I was right about why the sisterhood chooses to wear sunglasses, and right about Minnie having purple hair. :J yeehaw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the message.

I appreciate the message.

Not really willing to fight about it with the hateful today, though.
redshirt26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:

I would like to thank you for making this comic make some sense to me, after Miss Magenta is done kissing you that is.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of sad insecure half-men that come sliming out from under a rock any time there's a feminism strip on sinfest makes me a saaaad panda.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Succubus1982 wrote:

In other, slightly unrelated news, glad to see that I was right about why the sisterhood chooses to wear sunglasses, and right about Minnie having purple hair. :J yeehaw.

I just wish I could phrase all this as straight-to-the-point and effectively as you guys Very Happy
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mildly bemuses me how some people get so het up that they seem to forget that what we're seeing isn't the political belief system of an actual feminist organization. It's what one guy wrote and drew. These characters can't do or say or think anything that Tat doesn't decide for them -- doesn't command them -- to do and say and think.

Glossy's Sisterhood doesn't actually exist, okay? Get ahold of yourselves, people.

Sheesh.

On another note: Could what we're seeing on the screen be The Life of Fuchsia? That looks more like her than like any other known Devil Girl.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel wrote:
Raybans

BluBlockers!

You're probably not old enough to remember those commercials...
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleocatra wrote:
For those with reading comprehension skills different to mine. My interpretation of this comic is that the patriarchy brainwashes people into thinking there's only one possible option.

That girls play with dolls, that they want to put on loads of make-up and that they then want to get married to a guy and that they should always be sexually available.

While those are okay options for people who want them, the issue is that these are then brainwashed as the only options with no room for error without being othered.

So give me glasses to hand out Smile

I also like seeing why Glossie and the gang wear those glasses! Apart from looking cool that is.

Unfortunately that's not how it comes across but as simply pushing one agenda intead of another. I'm not usually a Sisterhood basher but this particular page does come across as an anvil drop from orbit. Also as a commercial. Although I'll admit that part may be deliberate.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my agreement with the sentiment of this comic springs forth an epic battle between my inner feminist and my inner and outer anti-ism-ists
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the problem with this is that isn't this kinda the parents job?

Back when I was a kid I used to watch cartoons with my parents all the time, they basically told me to think rationally about everything when it comes to stuff I see on TV. I remember watching road runner cartoons, and my mom and dad asking "now if you ran of a cliff in real life, what would happen to you?

It was the same when I was growing up. I asked if it was okay if I played with dolls along with my action figures, since most boys seem to never do that. They said it's your choice, and no one has control over you when it comes to those decisions.

So while I can understand in this style of comic with the "patriarchy" being an evil empire that is saturated in real life, rather than a vague idea or excuse, Monique saving Mini was needed, though I do wonder why it had to be her and the patriarchy, and not her family?
Mr. Chicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. Its fun that the first 8 panels could make a comic all by themselves.

Its so sad that this thread started with such a poor understanding of the meaning of this comic. So full of hate and arrogance. I dont wanto to discuss it, i get it. It is bad to force those ideals on people and they should get a choice. Not that the ideals are absolutly wrong, they are just one option.
Thats it.

On a side note, that cloud effect on the last panel. Perfect. So fluffy im gonna die.
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
I find the problem with this is that isn't this kinda the parents job?

The problem is that nowadays most of the child-raising is done by the media without supervision.

On another note, as someone said before THEY LIVE GLASSES! Cool
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: