welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the sobol award for unpublished manuscripts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: the sobol award for unpublished manuscripts Reply with quote

Quote:
The Sobol Award offers $100,000 for the best unreleased, agentless novel, with prizes of $25,000 and $10,000 for the runners-up and $1,000 each to seven others. The award was created by Sobol Literary Enterprises, a for-profit venture started by technology entrepreneur Gur Shomron, as "a venue to discover talented, unknown fiction writers and help them get the recognition they deserve."

Quote:
The Sobol Award Web site will accept up to 50,000 manuscripts, online only, with applicants required to pay an $85 entry fee. Winners will be announced next summer.

http://www.sobolaward.com/

from the site:

Quote:
The contest is open to all unpublished writers who do not have a literary agent. Submissions must be novels in English of at least 50,000 but no more than 300,000 words.

Quote:
We at Sobol want to receive and read novels of every kind under the sun, from literary mosaics to breathless Gothics, from wild Westerns to introspective fictional journeys.

The popularity of the genres really doesn't matter to us. We are on a treasure hunt for the undiscovered, the original.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you surrender rights?
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
do you surrender rights?

um...

Quote:
Dear Sobol Writer:

Below you'll find the representation agreement with the Sobol Literary Agency. The ten finalists of the Sobol Award will be represented by the Sobol Literary Agency (The Agency). The Agency may offer representation (on the same terms) to additional authors who reach the semi-final round of the contest. The Agency will represent only the manuscript entered to the contest, and will present it to publishers and other media entities (as detailed in the agreement below.) As a condition to qualify to be one of the ten winners, you'll have to sign the representation agreement below at the conclusion of Round 2 of the contest, expected to be July 2007. Not signing the agreement will disqualify your work from being selected as one of the top 10 manuscripts in Round 3 of the contest.

Quote:
Dear ________________:

By signing below, you appoint Sobol Literary Agency, a division of Sobol Literary Enterprises, Inc., to act as your sole and exclusive literary agents for the disposition of any and all rights in:

(i) your novel, which you have entered as a candidate for the Sobol Award; and

(ii) any other of your literary works which we may sell with your approval to the same publisher in the same contract (your signature on the contract will indicate your approval thereof)

(collectively, the Works)

in all media throughout the world, including without limitation book, audio, ebook, motion picture, television, stage and radio rights, merchandising rights, and computer rights.

We shall represent your interests to the best of our ability and will conduct all negotiations on your behalf in consultation with you. We will not sign any agreements on your behalf. We will present offers to you for your approval and contracts to you for your signature...

so, yeah kinda, but it doesn't look like they're taking complete advantage of you.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the only rights you surrender are those of "disposition." they basically hand you over to a proper publisher.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes me cringe and wince and squint...kind of a scrwingcet i guess.

but then i despise contracts that don't give me an obvious amount of control as well as an 'out clause'...and ones that make me think "...until the end of all time"
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I also am wary of the entry fee (that 50,000 entries times 85 bucks far exceeds the award totals), and the fact that sobol literary agency is a for profit enterprise.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep

reminds me HUGELY of poetry.com in that sense
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they let you know the names of any previous winners? so you could see if they actually got published?
rm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no previous winners. this is the first year for the award.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm wrote:
there are no previous winners. this is the first year for the award.

enter next year then?
Amilam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to slam this right out of the gate as publishing is really in desperate need of new ways of publishing and finding talent, but yeah accepting up to 50,000 manuscripts and the iffy contract doesn't raise my hopes. I'd second the notion to wait and see how it plays out, possibly enter it next year.
rm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. I was excited at first, since it appears to be a one of a kind concept and a nice way to introduce unknowns to publishing possibilities... but that's a lot of manuscripts and a lot of dough to shell out for probably nothing. and who are these people to think that they can convince publishing houses to take on a manuscript? "look, we gave it an award. it must be good."
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does seem to be a good idea - it is really hard for a new author to get attention. but without a track record, it is a little nervous-making.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I READ 50,000 MANUSCRIPTS AND ALL I PRINTED WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT"
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
it does seem to be a good idea - it is really hard for a new author to get attention. but without a track record, it is a little nervous-making.

Realistically, your better off dealing with someone legit like The American Screenwriter's Association or equivalent organization, and yeah I gotta agree with MT about this echoing Poetry.com.

Edit*

Like this ASA event where they actually tell you who the "industry people" specifically are. I mean yeah you're payin $199 dollars and have to be able to make it to san diego on between the 09/28 and 09/30, but you're chances of finding success are insanely better than any kind of bullshit "award" like rm posted above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: