Welcome to the Fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/25 still glossy in our hearts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Catel



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 355
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
that just leaves the question of "who the fuck is sister rosalyn"

Question
_________________
Blasphemy is a human right.
I don't believe in God, my religion prohibs it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 3583
Location: Sinfest's Help Desk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, uh.

Don't know who that is.

Sorry. Not exactly a Calvin & Hobbes fan.

umu;;;
_________________
Character Chart | Terminology Dictionary | Flashback Strips
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ktern



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 951

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tat seems to be, so
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 3583
Location: Sinfest's Help Desk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured from that one strip where Slick and Nique cosplay as the titular duo. But, other than that most references to the comic will be lost on me.

Curse my ignorance on the matter.

Either way, I guess that's good enough of an answer for me.
_________________
Character Chart | Terminology Dictionary | Flashback Strips
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2126
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
any reasonable person would care more about the names than the password

...you know which forum you're in, right?
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Zot the Wise



Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
I, uh.

Don't know who that is.

Sorry. Not exactly a Calvin & Hobbes fan.

umu;;;

Rosalyn is a recurring character in the comics. She's Calvin's babysitter. He hates her. She hates him. However, she's the only teenage girl with the womangrit to actually put up with Calvin (he's quite a terror) and consequently manages to charge incredibly high fees for her services. Which is the reason she does it: the money is too good. Calvin's parents can't get anyone BUT Rosalyn to babysit him and so they grudgingly pay her the ridiculous amounts she asks for.

The comics involving Rosalyn are usually about Calvin's latest plan to scare her off, although sometimes she's just collateral damage in one of his imaginary adventures. Needless to say, Calvin really makes her earn that money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zhuinden



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zot the Wise wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
I, uh.

Don't know who that is.

Sorry. Not exactly a Calvin & Hobbes fan.

umu;;;

Rosalyn is a recurring character in the comics. She's Calvin's babysitter. He hates her. She hates him. However, she's the only teenage girl with the womangrit to actually put up with Calvin (he's quite a terror) and consequently manages to charge incredibly high fees for her services. Which is the reason she does it: the money is too good. Calvin's parents can't get anyone BUT Rosalyn to babysit him and so they grudgingly pay her the ridiculous amounts she asks for.

The comics involving Rosalyn are usually about Calvin's latest plan to scare her off, although sometimes she's just collateral damage in one of his imaginary adventures. Needless to say, Calvin really makes her earn that money.


However, it's worth noting that there is ONE particular storyline when Calvin and Rosalyn actually get along, when he creates a new game called "Calvinball". But that is the one and only time. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LarsenSan



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:

I got no problem with eliminating prostitution. That's just wrong on all levels.
Even when is not imposed? What would you say to someone who works by her/his own will? What about male prostitution? And people had to resort to it because their sexual life tends to be poor (maybe because they're kind of ugly or poor social skills, advanced age...)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambaryerno



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
Well, let's get started then, shall we?

I got no problem with eliminating prostitution. That's just wrong on all levels.



The only problem with prostitution is when you start involving organized crime, child prostitution and human trafficking. There are women out there who do it because they actually ENJOY it, just like any other profession.

I say legalize it and regulate it. It will be far safer for both the women and clients, and that's a very lucrative source of revenue for taxation (some of those girls make more money in ONE DAY than I do in a week). Studies have also shown that countries with legalized and regulated prostitution have FAR fewer problems with human trafficking than those without.

Yours is actually the sort of attitude that makes it impossible for women in such a profession to get out of it again. Once you establish the position that prostitution is dirty and wrong, society begins to ostracize those women and look down on them, making it very difficult for them to find jobs in other sectors. Watch how fast a teacher or doctor would be fired the minute the masses learn that she used to turn tricks 20 years ago. God forbid we let that person near children.

Quote:

But porn... Tough call. "Sexual Perversion," more likely. Too many levels of industry involved. Not all operate on the same principle. Worthy of discussion. Heated arguments likely unavoidable.


Some of the most powerful producers in porn are, wait for it, WOMEN. For every Linda Lovelace, you have many Jill Kellys, Aurora Snows and Jenna Jamesons. Women who are in the industry by choice and move on from performance to production.

And anyone who doesn't think porn is exploitative of men as well probably has never actually watched a porno in their life. Ron Jeremy ain't exactly your typical male porn star. Most of them are built like Greek heroic statues, not to mention the industry's preference for size. You think that doesn't set unrealistic body images?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 3456

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as much as I enjoy the Sisterhood, I enjoy the Devil Girls more, so Tat's still got plenty of namin' to do. Wink

Miss Magenta wrote:
What happena my handle? wrote:
She could be in 2012-07-15: Playground, if she's the one with the pink hair.

See also 2012-11-25: Day In The Life 15 (Nana's Day in the Life). She's in the photo at the end.


She also appears in this strip, and this one.


I don't think anyone ever gave her a "fan name", though. I guess she could have been called "Magenta" or maybe Drilla (from Manila?) but now it's a moot point.

Incidentally, The Girl Formerly Known As Glossy's name comes from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthe

(giving her name that doesn't sound even remotely like "Glossy" may be Tat's way of, uh, I dunno, whatever)

And this is kind of similar to Tess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecmessa

Maybe the other Sisterhood members will also turn out to have Amazon-derived names.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 3456

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
XANTHE "GLOSSY" JUSTICE, QUEEN OF MY HEART U3U

that just leaves the question of "who the fuck is sister rosalyn"


Well, it also leaves the question for some of us to what the heck is she talking about? Smile

Fortunately, I figured it out:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4077

I think the far more pertinent question is:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2346

Who is Matrix One?
"You are Number 6."
"I am not a number, I am a free --"

Yeah, like anybody's gonna get that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
starkruzr



Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be an interesting opportunity for Tat to explore the differences in the feminist community regarding prostitution, porn, and "sex positivity," but I suspect it will never come to that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tinrac



Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Posts: 38
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: (>_<) Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
XANTHE "GLOSSY" JUSTICE, QUEEN OF MY HEART U3U

that just leaves the question of "who the fuck is sister rosalyn"


Well, it also leaves the question for some of us to what the heck is she talking about? Smile

Fortunately, I figured it out:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4077



Wow, that`s just...wow. That`s some pretty ace sleuthing there Mate. I am highly impressed.

Ronald wrote:
Incidentally, The Girl Formerly Known As Glossy's name comes from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthe

(giving her name that doesn't sound even remotely like "Glossy" may be Tat's way of, uh, I dunno, whatever)


Tat`s way of messing with your miiiiiinds.
_________________
And lo, therefore was the shitstorm summoned from the Abysses of False Civility in which it had briefly hidden, and there was much torment and despair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 3456

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambaryerno wrote:
Holocauxt wrote:
Well, let's get started then, shall we?

I got no problem with eliminating prostitution. That's just wrong on all levels.



The only problem with prostitution is when you start involving organized crime, child prostitution and human trafficking. There are women out there who do it because they actually ENJOY it, just like any other profession.

I say legalize it and regulate it. It will be far safer for both the women and clients, and that's a very lucrative source of revenue for taxation (some of those girls make more money in ONE DAY than I do in a week).


And some of them barely make enough to live on.

I don't oppose the legalization of prostitution, but some women become prostitutes because for whatever reason (how should I know?) they have no legal options to make money, they hit rock-bottom, they're desperate, and prostitution is there. Legalizing prostitution wouldn't necessarily help women like that because then there'd just be something else at rock-bottom. Unless I'm wrong.

***

Back to the strip, it strikes me as at least faintly interesting that Xanthe, who's about as tall as Slick, is the "boss" of Tess, who seems to be about as tall as 'Nique. I don't think any other recurring human female character is as tall as 'Nique, AFAIK they're all Devil Girls or Lady Liberty (who's a, I dunno, an embodiment of an abstract concept OSLT).

Thinking about female characters reminds me of Ariel. I guess Tat's mostly lost interest in the strip's two angels, who haven't played a prominent role in a long time. Tsk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holocauxt



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 348

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsenSan wrote:
Even when is not imposed? What would you say to someone who works by her/his own will? What about male prostitution? And people had to resort to it because their sexual life tends to be poor (maybe because they're kind of ugly or poor social skills, advanced age...)?


Ambaryerno wrote:
The only problem with prostitution is when you start involving organized crime, child prostitution and human trafficking. There are women out there who do it because they actually ENJOY it, just like any other profession.

I say legalize it and regulate it. It will be far safer for both the women and clients, and that's a very lucrative source of revenue for taxation (some of those girls make more money in ONE DAY than I do in a week). Studies have also shown that countries with legalized and regulated prostitution have FAR fewer problems with human trafficking than those without.

Yours is actually the sort of attitude that makes it impossible for women in such a profession to get out of it again. Once you establish the position that prostitution is dirty and wrong, society begins to ostracize those women and look down on them, making it very difficult for them to find jobs in other sectors. Watch how fast a teacher or doctor would be fired the minute the masses learn that she used to turn tricks 20 years ago. God forbid we let that person near children.


Bold statements, but jump to conclusions. Clarity of thought required: prostitution, organized or no, has lower standards than the porn industry. More health risks. Little to no accountability. Do not wish to see women ostracized for involvement, rehabilitation and reintegration better solutions. No reintegrative shaming, blame should not fall on them.

Not saying that the porn industry is any better, mind. Amateur pornography also pose same risks. Maybe even more if left unchecked and unmonitored. Child porn and voyeurism definitely need to be eliminated. Professional pornography has better accountability, though.
_________________
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group