welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the subject of flame wars...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: On the subject of flame wars... Reply with quote

Okay, so, apologies. Let me start over.

Hi! My name is Jason Yungbluth, (Death Ray if you prefer) and I am ABSOLUTELY here to whore my comic book in a comic readers forum!

Feel better?

Hey, I read Sinfest too, so get the rod out of your ass if you think that mine is the greatest crime since the Holocaust. On the other hand, I have never won any prizes for my tact in the material world, much less the land of elves and fairies, and I have no problem conceding that point.

So Dogen,et al. I stand vanquished, my goat gotten. But having gotten your own so easily, it could not be more than a pyrrhic victory.

(In any event, my arrival here was never about you. I repeat: starting over.)

So, those who chose to hold me in contempt, which is its own flattery by the way (a kind I will not extend to any of you), fire away. Better still, ignore my posts, which I will make as often as I choose. They will often contain cartoons, since I know this crowd appreciates good cartoonists or I wouldn't be here.

My cartoons are different from Tats, of course (love to meet him). If they aren't your cup of meat, that's fine. Go your own way.

Anyway, here's one of them:

I enjoyed our talk.

-Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAY JASON COULD YOU DO US A FAVOUR AND MAKE MORE THREADS?

also, VOTE ONE Weapon Brown as the BEST Steampunk comic book series ever!
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, as far as the comic goes: pretty painfully long set up for a gag that is less shocking than it should be. You make a lot of noise about how dark and edgy you are, but again, your skills as a writer can't carry it through. You stretch in to 9 panels what you could have done in 4, but don't manage to wring any comedy from the awkwardness of it all.

The punchline feels totally strained, and also completely undeserved. It wasn't a shock, and left me feeling nothing. Plus your big grotesque cartoony style feels weirdly lifeless -- when all the family are looking down at Clarissa and then the next panel is her looking brutally unimpressed it SHOULD be funny, but it just feels flat, and lacking in energy. The tension & conflict between the happy clappy family and the cranky eyed stare of Clarissa, but it just gets stretched so much further than it actually has room for by the time you get to the punchline you've already a) guessed what it is going to be and b) gotten bored.

It's like you want to be edgy with your "untouchable comedy subjects", but you don't have the passion for it.

Why are you posting here? And more to the point -- why do you make comics? Why, Jason?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: On the subject of flame wars... Reply with quote

and, finally...

Death Ray wrote:
Okay, so, apologies. Let me start over.

Hi! My name is Jason Yungbluth, (Death Ray if you prefer) and I am ABSOLUTELY here to whore my comic book in a comic readers forum!

Feel better?

uhh... what? its not like we've ever thought you're here for anything else. Admitting what we already know doesn't help anyone, except maybe you. So I guess I'd answer that one by asking you the same thing: do you feel better, Jason?

Death Ray wrote:
Hey, I read Sinfest too, so get the rod out of your ass if you think that mine is the greatest crime since the Holocaust.

what? Did you miss some words in here, or is this a stab at comedy?

Death Ray wrote:
On the other hand, I have never won any prizes for my tact in the material world, much less the land of elves and fairies, and I have no problem conceding that point.

So Dogen,et al. I stand vanquished, my goat gotten. But having gotten your own so easily, it could not be more than a pyrrhic victory.

mmmmmm

Death Ray wrote:

Yes, clearly, althought I'm not sure you understand the concept of 'starting over'.

Death Ray wrote:
So, those who chose to hold me in contempt, which is its own flattery by the way (a kind I will not extend to any of you), fire away. Better still, ignore my posts, which I will make as often as I choose. They will often contain cartoons, since I know this crowd appreciates good cartoonists or I wouldn't be here.

You're not contemptible, you're boring.

Death Ray wrote:
My cartoons are different from Tats, of course (love to meet him). If they aren't your cup of meat, that's fine. Go your own way.

Anyway, here's one of them:

IMAGE REDACTED

I enjoyed our talk.

-Jason

look, buddy, I think the issue, that you can't quite get your head around is this: who the fuck are you? Who the fuck are you to come in to an established community, and, with no attempt to join that community, start waffling on about yourself? The forum is essentially for Tat's comics, but he clearly doesn't give a fuck what we talk about, nor does he give a fuck that you're spamming up our forums. We give a fuck that you're spamming up our forums.

If you gave a shit about anything other than some of the worst marketing I have ever witnessed on the internet, or gave a shit about starting over, you would stop posting your horseshit, tired 'shock' cartoons and try and join a conversation. You know, a conversation that you didn't start, that isn't about you.

I've been in the arts for years and I have met a lot of people like you -- people who are passionate about their own art, but rarely other people's, and have such a huge chip on their shoulder that they alienate everyone around them, and then throw their hands in the air and say, "well I don't expect you plebs to understand!".

Just... shit dude, get your fucking shit together.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So, those who chose to hold me in contempt, which is its own flattery by the way (a kind I will not extend to any of you), fire away. Better still, ignore my posts, which I will make as often as I choose.

You didn't "get my goat," Jason. You didn't do something to buck the system. You're not one of the cool kids that likes to break the rules and riles up Old Man Dogen. You're just someone no one likes. There's no "victory" here, for me or for you. No starting over. This is just how we respond to you, and your work. When you post, this is how it is.

Also, you can lay off the whole "your contempt is flattering" thing. You're not a super villain. We already have a guy who does that melodramatic twaddle... and he actually does it better than you.

Jesus Christ, you can't even write better than BlizzardWolf. Fuckin' hell.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat hat.

DAT HAT.
Death Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Dat hat.

DAT HAT.

I carry a wand, and I VOTE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted] since i found out clarissa has her own entire comic
Death Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten wrote:
[deleted] since i found out clarissa has her own entire comic

Now I want that post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of this comic? Please tell me it isn't supposed to be funny. I would like to believe that it has some sort of altruistic message behind it, maybe trying to bring awareness to a hard hitting issue like child molestation, but if I had to put my money on it I would say that its just trying to get some shock value.

I shudder to think of the kind of person who actively reads a comic about a child getting raped repeatedly by her father, let alone the sick fuck who writes it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it say something that he's using a 14 year-old comic?

Hey, look at that. I unintentionally made a funnier joke about pedophilia than ol' stun gun made on purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, actually you both suffer from a strained delivery and overbearing smugness. Thanks for explaining the joke though, that always makes them funnier.
Death Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this some sort of "LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU" and you're just going to keep spamming up the forums?

1. You're disrespectful. How many artists do you know come into communities and ignore what the people are telling them and just spam them with their comics over and over to try and market themselves? And then ask yourself how successful this strategy is in getting people interested.

2. Your comic sucks. Every single piece of shit panel you've put up sucks. You're not funny, clever, edgy, witty, "dark", or whatever else you think you are for posting a comic about rape and molestation of kids.

3. Get help. Either you've been molested yourself and you're presenting your issues through the comic or you're just a piece of shit that needs his head checked. Either or.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact the pages are in the wrong order really hammer home how little you give a shit about achieving a quality product. Maybe go and be 'controversial' on your own fucking forum, buddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: