welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: 2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged Reply with quote

Patriarchy blockers, showing the truth or vilifying men?
KDX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matriarchy Blockers Engaged: Translation Engaged: Sexually empowered woman = Slut, not a real woman.

Feminism, taking the choice out of being a woman since its inception. Just as bad as the Patriarchy. Either way Nique can't win. If she chooses to not shake her ass, she's a prude, and "unfun" in the eye of chauvinists. If she does choose to shake it, she's a self-depreciating sell out according to the misandrists.

Harsh.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipshit blockers engaged: translation engaged: hurrrrrrrr false equivalency

wait a minute you're the guy with the creepy serial killer conception of love and sex relations, well, okay, that explains it
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:Sigh:

Who should play 'Nique in a live-action version? I'm thinking we should try to find a young Christa Miller type.
Random Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged Reply with quote

sammich wrote:
Patriarchy blockers, showing the truth or vilifying men?

No matter which one you say is the answer, someone here will accuse you of being full of it.
Psiwrite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responding to the forums again, Tat, nicely done Very Happy

And I'm suddenly nostalgic for the Zelda Ocarina of Time "Lens of Truth"...that was a trip...
joandark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, concerned man is wrong. I've actually been really impressed with how Tat had managed to let 'Nique hold on to the goofy/tells-it-like-it-is/relatable side of her character, while evolving her political revolutionary side to it's current state. If that makes any sense. People with an issue with the strips political message, I think, are just to hung up on strips like Sundays to appreciate ones like this:

http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2012-06-19.gif

or this:

http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2012-04-04.gif

She still a silly comic strip character. She's just also way into feminism.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, nice.
Canopus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modern antithesis to X-ray Specs.
Raal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
wait a minute you're the guy with the creepy serial killer conception of love and sex relations, well, okay, that explains it

Hahaha looks like I missed out on something here

KDX wrote:
Feminism, taking the choice out of being a woman since its inception. Just as bad as the Patriarchy. Either way Nique can't win. If she chooses to not shake her ass, she's a prude, and "unfun" in the eye of chauvinists. If she does choose to shake it, she's a self-depreciating sell out according to the misandrists.

Not sure if trolling or just...
Eather way, for your comment to make any sense, you'd need to say misogynists, not misandrists. Which would be true for some individuals, but not for feminism(well 1st wave feminism maybe, dunno), feminism is about granting women the same choices as men have. So she'd be free to shake her ass as much as she wants, but if she doesn't want to for any reason, thats still not our business.
king rat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd to me, though I have been off a while.

Monique's initial and follow up shows have ALWAYS been feminist, quite justifiably so to counter some of Slick's.

Her current slant has been been hardcore anti Patriarchy. I'm assuming this has been falling solidly into any material she's been releasing recently.

So, I guess, what I'm saying is...

why is the message of a man who is enjoying the poetry of an empowered woman, who might actually be forwarding the same agenda, being marginalized? A man who's concerned that the work toward a change in the actual status quo might be smashed down?

Not all violent change can be accepted, but look how much has actually changed in the last century of constant work!
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again, it should be kept in mind that all of this is being written and drawn by a man. It's not an actual feminist organization viewpoint. For all we know, Tat no more intends us to take Minique seriously than he intends us to take Seymour seriously.

I miss 'Nique's more light-hearted, happy-go-lucky characterization too, but Tat's changed/developed her character -- heck, changed/developed the entire strip -- to the extent that, if she went back to being that way, it'd seem forced and (even in the context of fiction) artificial. For better or worse, Sinfest is no longer "a strip about nothing" that can spend over a week having Slick and 'Nique wander around town engaging in random wacky hijinx. Fortunately, We'll Always Have Archives.

Precisely why this apparently also means that it's no longer a strip that includes Angels is another matter entirely...
LadySunami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the glasses can somehow tell with that intent a line is written? They're clearly magical! The implication that they are designed to make men out as douchebags seems a bit silly to me.

It'd be nice if there were goggles/glasses that really could tell legit nice guys from "nice guys." (And that could do the same when it comes to females too of course.)
king rat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Although, I was quite in agreement with Tat's message in feminist work at first, but some of it has taken a curious turn.

It may be some people's opinion, goodness knows, but to my view, it's quite a hardcore shift!

To be fair, relationships, other things, can cause life view shifts.

Just the same....

Tatsuya, you know the type of humor you started with, that irreverent humor.

To ALL fronts.

PLEASE don't forget that, it's kept me going through more hardship than I'd care to name.

PPs Thanks!
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Maybe the glasses can somehow tell with that intent a line is written? They're clearly magical! The implication that they are designed to make men out as douchebags seems a bit silly to me.

It'd be nice if there were goggles/glasses that really could tell legit nice guys from "nice guys." (And that could do the same when it comes to females too of course.)

What makes you think they're not intended to show you the true feelings behind the expressions people make? There's nothing in this comic that suggests it makes all men look like douchebags, just that this guy is disguising his objectification of 'Nique as an appeal to being "fun."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: