welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, i was wrong there, you didn't join...you just returned and chimed right in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it as positive that you do admit that you don't know about me. It's better than the alternative. But that doesn't change the fact that you are judging me(And several other posters) over very superfluous and ridiculous shit.

I mean, I did say that feminism wasn't the problem at all here. I even specifically wrote that 'Nique's big change happened in the environmentalism stage, it's just more notorious now. Ronald took the hard job of pointing out several instances where 'Nique has different attitudes than she currently does in strips where sexuality isn't explored at all.

I feel that from this topic you are just reading the things that are convenient for your point of view.

I'm also not interested at all in meeting you irl nor amused about the idea. Don't take it personal, but you didn't give me reasons.

You commie.

Last edited by Leohan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how is this version of 'Nique so horrendously different from the 'Nique who picketed on Uncle Sam's lawn and tried to unionize the devil girls

i mean it's sort of suspicious that you choose to go back to the earliest parts of the archive and ignore the stuff in between, where this character shifts and changes gradually over the course of, y'know, thirteen years

Last edited by ShadowCell on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if anything I said gave you the impression that I wanted to meet you irl rather than go away forever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Roland took the hard job of pointing out several instances....

I'm sorry? Who is Roland? Do we have a Roland on this forum? Will the real Roland please stand up? Or perhaps you meant RONALD. If you're going to sympathise with another useless poster at least spell his name right Rolling Eyes

Leohan wrote:
You commie.

This is the second time you've said that. Is this supposed to be some sort of insult? Calling people 'commies' makes you sound like some old war-veteran lunatic (or those people who claim to have been in every war but never have). Infact you know what it reminds me of? This guy. I'm going to call you 'Fish' from now on Smile
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just mocking Monkey's habit of judging people's ideas without knowing anything about them and without any sort of discernible evidence of those people having the ideas that he attributes to them. Me calling him a communist makes about as much sense as him calling me an anti-feminist so I'm putting some perspective into how ridiculously he is behaving.

I'm cool with you calling me Fish, though, if you really want to.

Also edited the other post. Sorry Ronald

Last edited by Leohan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
so how is this version of 'Nique so horrendously different from the 'Nique who picketed on Uncle Sam's lawn and tried to unionize the devil girls

i mean it's sort of suspicious that you choose to go back to the earliest parts of the archive and ignore the stuff in between, where this character shifts and changes gradually over the course of, y'know, thirteen years

True, but I think were more worried that her personality has basically become ONLY a mouthpiece against the Patriarchy, I mean in the few times she has shown up this year she has said, "Yo. Sure. Relax. Cool cap." And that Cool Cap could have been said by Slick, Crim, Any-other-character. Any time she has more than a few lines in public it was something about the Patriarchy or dealing with a lot of cocks round here.

Note: I decided to start in august last year and go through with every comic that includes Monique, she usually only used to start a conversation with someone else and never say anything else, or says a line that could have been used by any other character. I'm also only counting where she is not the only person in the comic, when she IS alone she kinda gets her normal character.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so very disappointed in all of you.

well, not all of you

several of you
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
I'm just mocking Monkey's habit of judging people's ideas without knowing anything about them and without any sort of discernible evidence of those people having the ideas that he attributes to them. Me calling him a communist makes about as much sense as him calling me an anti-feminist so I'm putting some perspective into how ridiculously he is behaving.

You know, I try not to be too judgmental (well, to a point... but after that point... anyway), but at this moment you have 189 posts. If you don't think we can tell a thing or two about you by now, you're just delusional. Do I know what your favorite color is? No. Do I get a sense about how you feel about feminism? Totally. Not just from what you say, but also how you say it.

I don't have the same hard feelings that Monkey and ShadowCell do - I save those for special people - but I can see where they're coming from.
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's just go with it and tell what my ideas on the matter are.

Personally, I am kinda neutral about feminism. I can sympathise with the general idea of gender equality but I believe that some of its concepts are not so accurate. So why I'm not an anti-feminist I couldn't feel comfortable saying that I'm a feminist as a matter of fact. That said, I do respect the fact that some people here adhere to the concepts I disagree with, so I wouldn't like to bring them up.

Important thing here, though, is that all of this trivia about me has absolutely bull to do with what I was saying about 'Nique's character development.

Cheers.

Edit: Also!

Super Saiya-jin Ragnarok

LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how anyone can not be a feminist...

Of course, when I think feminist I think any individual that adheres to the idea men and women are equal. I can completely understand why someone would decline getting involved with the feminist movement. (I think more focus needs to be put on de-shaming "feminine" pursuits. The "real men don't do X" nonsense is really irritating. Sadly, I'm not the feminist movement's boss.)
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Of course, when I think feminist I think any individual that adheres to the idea men and women are equal. I can completely understand why someone would decline getting involved with the feminist movement. (I think more focus needs to be put on de-shaming "feminine" pursuits. The "real men don't do X" nonsense is really irritating. Sadly, I'm not the feminist movement's boss.)

The whole gender-role things confuses the hell out of me. Baking is a hobby of mine, but a number of people have told me it's a woman's hobby. At the same time, I come from a family that made it's bread and butter (oh ho!) for 3 or 4 generations as bakers. When did putting dough into an oven become gender-specific?

Same goes for gardening.

It seems that a lot of these gender associations that people make are for things that historically have been done by men, or by women and men. So, like, what the shit?

It's currently 3AM for me and I'm really tired, so this post probably isn't overly coherent. The thesis I was going for was "Gender roles are fucking dumb, especially because a number of perceived "womanly" roles have been traditionally done by men, or by both women and men".

*Ducks back into the discussion subforum before something bad happens*
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much what LadySunami says applies to me. While I do have that general belief, I feel a bit uncomfortable associating my ideas to those of the feminist movement.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Saiya-jin Ragnarok wrote:
I'm not booing feminism and I for one still think its a good idea that he posted those strips from the archives. He was able to make it easy to reference past examples of 'Nique's behavior while still staying on the same page. It didn't hurt anyone. On the contrary it made it more convenient for the discussion of the journey of the character regardless of which viewpoint you have.

Thank you. Smile
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the perhaps erroneous impression that you're trying to start an argument. Please be advised that I almost never engage in arguments. I'm no good at arguing.

Succubus1982 wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Well, I tend to forget yours less than 30 seconds after I read them. What does that prove?

That you're self-involved and have no time for anything that isn't about you or from you. But fine you continue to ignore my posts and I'll ignore yours.

I didn't say that I ignore your posts, I said that I tend to forget them. There's a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: