welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:

For instance, this right here is my favorite strip of this comic that I absolutely love. It's about 'Nique and Slick mocking each other, then sharing their problems and working them out together with some humor, finalizing with probably the sweetest final panel in Sinfest:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3099

That's probably my favorite strip too. I'm a bit of a sentimental sap.

But yeah, I do have to echo your criticisms. I really miss the friendship Slick and 'Nique seemed to have. They may not have always been civil towards one another, but they seemed to genuinely care about one another's well being.

The strip hasn't lost those kinds of relationships entirely of course, I love getting a chance to see Lily and Orange grow closer. It just hurts to know that apparently Slick's become little more than a vessel for evil and his friendship with 'Nique has essentially evaporated at this point.
LarsenSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
dipshit blockers engaged: translation engaged: hurrrrrrrr false equivalency

False equivalence: perfect trump card, use anytime in a feminism-related discussion. Rejects opponent's opinion even when he/she/it is right.

Seriously you are all made from the same mold. And it sucks.
lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would suck for you, since you're wrong if you're agreeing with KDX's ignorant comment.

Modern feminism explicitly rejects the virgin/whore dichotomy.

If you just hate false equivalency as a debate tactic..... offer a rebuttal. Explain to your "opponent" why it's a true logical equivalency.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we aren't.

Most of the people here are genuinely good people who want others to elevate themselves in such a way that they treat everyone fairly and put aside a lot of the gender roles and expectations that society has foisted on us so as to be welcoming to those who don't generally fit within those roles.

I'm less charitable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
For instance, this right here is my favorite strip of this comic that I absolutely love. It's about 'Nique and Slick mocking each other, then sharing their problems and working them out together with some humor, finalizing with probably the sweetest final panel in Sinfest:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3099

I agree with what else was said, that the relationship is definitely down. However, I feel this is more of a writing approach to drive them apart while they both go through their own plots. Basically, they were getting too close to the point everyone was expecting something to happen, and Tat wasn't ready to write that yet.

Think along the lines of the Friends TV show with Ross and Rachel, how the show for the longest time kept teasing them getting together...when they finally kind of did, shortly after it broke them apart largely to the point for awhile they had absolutely nothing to do with one another besides random moments.

To some point, that's kind of the stage Sinfest is in. With no reason to see it's popularity waning that Tat needs to keep the relationship able to be resolved quickly, we have to have different plot points to explore if he still wants to play around with the "will they or won't they" part of the relationship. It's like real relationships (with some added drama of course...yay fiction!), people go through stressful times. I agree I miss the relationship, but I think it'll be more brought about through the plot to make them more sincere characters in the process.

The same for Nique being more goofy and trying stuff on. I think she's just going through some stuff. She'll feel better after and can be more upbeat again. Sometimes people change to lose an upbeat personality like that, but usually only after traumatic events. But my wife had parts of her life where she was less energetic due to events, only to now days be jumping around singing while we decorated for a party yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lol hits it pretty square on the head. If you don't like being charged with false equivalencies then stop making them. If you hold an irrational position then naturally someone who holds a more rational one will always have the "perfect trump card," whereas if your position is rational then being charged with a logical fallacy is less of an impediment (you can easily argue against it).

So, if you believe that modern feminists necessarily view sexuality as wrong, which they don't, then you should examine your argument and see why you keep getting trapped by more logical arguments.

Also, people in general should remember how they get spanked (like when they continually claim all feminists view sexuality as wrong) and try to make better arguments the next time rather than the same one over and over. That might keep you from hearing the same counterargument over and over, too.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
I guess it would suck for you, since you're wrong if you're agreeing with KDX's ignorant comment.

the best/worst part about it is that modern feminism, for all its disagreements and fractures, is pretty much entirely about choice. that's the whole point of stuff like making contraception more widely available and opening up combat posts to women in the military and Escher Girls and on and on and on.

for mouthbreathing misogynists like KDX and Larsensan to go around saying otherwise just says more about them than about anything else.
LarsenSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
lol wrote:

the best/worst part about it is that modern feminism, for all its disagreements and fractures, is pretty much entirely about choice. that's the whole point of stuff like making contraception more widely available and opening up combat posts to women in the military and Escher Girls and on and on and on.

for mouthbreathing misogynists like KDX and Larsensan to go around saying otherwise just says more about them than about anything else.
Now I'm a misogynist? HAHAHA. Nah, just kidding, is not even funny. It's the most stupid thing I've been ever called. If anything I consider myself a true "equalitier".

Most feminists I've ever known are radical ones that view everything as an attack to womanhood and eschew all your arguments as "false" and "sexist". Fortunately I've known a couple of true feminists who are great people, you can have deep and entertaining conversations with them and reject the ideas of radical ones.

And, what's an "Escher Girl"?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the fuck made you the judge of what is and isn't "True Feminism" bro?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsenSan wrote:

http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:

http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/
Haha, that's funny. And sexy.
LarsenSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Who the fuck made you the judge of what is and isn't "True Feminism" bro?
Non-radical one.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's cute how LarsenSan calls himself an "equalitier" when he thinks the stuff they put on Escher Girls is "sexy"

not fooling anyone, but still, he seems to think it does and it's adorable. i bet he thinks Santa Claus is real too.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what's even cuter is that he thinks he can judge who is and isn't a "feminist" when he doesn't understand a damn thing about feminism and couldn't actually tell you anything about it.

the proof of which is that he can't actually point to any examples of what he's talking about. he'll claim he can, but he can't.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsenSan wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
lol wrote:

Now I'm a misogynist? HAHAHA. Nah, just kidding, is not even funny. It's the most stupid thing I've been ever called. If anything I consider myself a true "equalitier".

Most feminists I've ever known are radical ones that view everything as an attack to womanhood and eschew all your arguments as "false" and "sexist". Fortunately I've known a couple of true feminists who are great people, you can have deep and entertaining conversations with them and reject the ideas of radical ones.

If you really trust in what you are saying you shouldn't be so defensive. Not an accusation, just an advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: