welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Feb 2013 - Homophobic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGBTQA, I believe?

The Q would stand for queer, and A either being asexual or ally. But, yeah. They're there.

I don't know about an I being there, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhhhh

LGBTQA?

usually "queer" is used as a catch-all
or an insult, but it's being reclaimed

I think the Q might be for for "questioning"
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked internet. Miss M. had it right. A is for Allies and Q is for Questioning. It does become more involving, but honestly LGBT is far more catchy...
lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen LGBTQIQ and LGBTQIA around my campus. Looked them up, and apparently both are used but largely in academia. It's an attempt to be more inclusive.

LGBT is by far the most common of course.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Checked internet. Miss M. had it right. A is for Allies and Q is for Questioning. It does become more involving, but honestly LGBT is far more catchy...

I've seen the A tacked onto support groups who, while they themselves may or may not be LGBT, are supportive of LGBT rights and equality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think the A stands for asexual.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two As! Really I'm not sure you need an A for allies. If you're talking about the rights of the individuals, then once you've got all of the non-straight, transgendered, curious, and non-heteronormative people defined by their own letter then allies are people who already have the right to live how they want to live (straight, cissexual, etc).

I guess if you're not talking about for whom you're fighting for rights, but using it in some other context, it might make sense to include allies... but my anecdotal experience has always been that we just call ourselves allies of the LGBT community.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even outside the context of the acronym it seems like the ace community just gets overlooked by... nearly everybody.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably true. Our puritanical society is more concerned with judging your sex life than your lack of one. If you're putting things in other people's places, there's someone with an opinion about it. If you're not putting anything anywhere, what's to judge?
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part is to not roll your eyes or be rude when people consistently react in exactly the same way every time it's mentioned. Nobody knows anything about it, really, and it gets really tiring having to educate people every. single. time. It's not their fault, though. It just is.

I shudder to imagine trying to explain it to someone who actively wants to have sex with me. Hence chasing off all the hopefuls by being intimidating as hell.

So yeah, I get to avoid the worst of the judgment. I should just be grateful I don't have hate thrown at me. I think the hardest thing to be right now may be trans*. Not to say the rest is a cake walk, but damn, trans* people get a lot of shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: