welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 Feb 2013 - Fembot
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: 10 Feb 2013 - Fembot Reply with quote

yeah, real girls have minds of their own.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh.

neat!

wait.... what exactly are they making these robots out of, anyway?
king rat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since she was a manufactured item and not actually a person before being brought into the Reality Zone, shouldn't she have

A) shorted out herself

or

B) simply collapsed, being a glorified RealDoll and all?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this explains why we never saw her again after Slick first bought her.

I don't think she became real though, I think she just gained a kind of sentience she didn't have before... She's still a robot, just a sentient one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dangers of dating robots are, according to Futurama, that we will all start dating robots (because they are 'perfect') and consequently we'll stop procreating. What's more, all of civilization is just an attempt to impress the opposite sex (or the same sex.) We don't need to impress robots, so all advances in technology and the arts will cease.
According to an episode of Futurama, anyway. Were such a thing a reality though... they might be right.

Since the effects of the Reality Zone have never left its boundaries up to now, the Fembot will probably return to being a mindless automation upon leaving the Reality Zone. Unless Tat decides it shouldn't.
Vancore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

king rat wrote:
Since she was a manufactured item and not actually a person before being brought into the Reality Zone, shouldn't she have

A) shorted out herself

or

B) simply collapsed, being a glorified RealDoll and all?

Or Milton just makes them really... real...
Maynar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, yeah.

http://vimeo.com/12915013
Zot the Wise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... the activities Slick used the Fembot for say a lot about what he really wants. Libido aside, he didn't just want some sexdoll. He wanted a genuine girlfriend. Of course the sisterhood was only too eager to ride past and be a buzzkill. What's-her-face was right though. Slick knew it too. He just wanted to pretend for awhile, I suppose. Love hasn't been very kind to that poor kid.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zot the Wise wrote:
You know... the activities Slick used the Fembot for say a lot about what he really wants. Libido aside, he didn't just want some sexdoll. He wanted a genuine girlfriend.

All of that is true, but there's something in particular that I feel is the most important thing of this strip:

Deep inside, Slick wanted something real.

He has gone through an incredible lot of character evolution to get to this point. He is kind of a living contradition: He is a wannabe pimp, at a surface objectifying women and a man who likes to show confidence. But when you get to know him more deeply, he is an insecure man who fails at and really needs to be loved.

Freaking fascinating character.
dec7m2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am wondering why did fro chicks words have such an impact on slick?
Zot the Wise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dec7m2 wrote:
i am wondering why did fro chicks words have such an impact on slick?

Because she was right. Slick was lying to himself, acting out a happy relationship with a soulless machine that did whatever he told it to. It wasn't real, even though he wanted it to be. He's had no luck in love with real women, so he turned to a machine shaped like one that would behave as if it loved him.
Slick took the Fembot to the Reality Zone because he couldn't lie to himself any longer. I doubt he actually knew what would happen. Most likely he hoped that the relationship he previously acted out would become a reality.
joandark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Didn't notice her hugging the air in panel 12 until I looked again. Made me laugh quietly to myself.

2. Please tell me she isn't going to be recurring. It's not that I'm prejudiced against robots or anything, it's just that we already have enough wandering characters who's subplots need closure. For instance, I don't think we've so much as seen the zombie since November.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he wanted to take time to get to know her before shifting from "sexy mode" to "sex mode."

IMHO it's not that Curly had much impact on Slick. The little smokestack over his head in Panel 12 indicates that she just plain ticked him off (hardly a difficult feat for the Sisterhood, as oodles of forum posts can testify), and that was enough.

Upon giving it almost no thought, he decided to right then and there prove her wrong. Unfortunately, it turns out she was right instead.

Except if Slick and the Bot reunite, then Curly will be wrong. There seems to me to be almost zero chance of that, though.

Yet again we're left with the question, if Slick considers the Reality Zone "reality," then what does he think he lives in?
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
1. Didn't notice her hugging the air in panel 12 until I looked again. Made me laugh quietly to myself.

2. Please tell me she isn't going to be recurring. It's not that I'm prejudiced against robots or anything, it's just that we already have enough wandering characters who's subplots need closure. For instance, I don't think we've so much as seen the zombie since November.

And we haven't seen "Mint" the ronin Devil Girl since long before that.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: