welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

15 Feb 2013 Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo

nice title, that's one of my go-to obnoxious sequel titles as well. that or 'the legend of curly's gold'.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had someone flip out on me because I said no (random stranger asking if he could have some of my chips O.o). It was weird.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
1. How does she still have free will outside the reality zone.

Because the creator of the Sinfestiverse says so. Sinfest Fembots work however he wants Sinfest Fembots to work. It's a comic strip, remember?

As I've pointed out several times, only two confirmed Fembots/Androids have been seen in the strip prior to developments over the last year or so:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2252
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2504

There's no evidence that either of them lacked free will. Sure, one of them ran down but, hey, who doesn't now and then?
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Rothide wrote:

Because the creator of the Sinfestiverse says so. Sinfest Fembots work however he wants Sinfest Fembots to work. It's a comic strip, remember?

True, but, once again, when brought out of the reality zone, things go back to how they are to begin with. I think fushia not being a pile of rubble, orange not being charcoal, and the bat fork are good examples. It's usually good practice to not change established ideas just to make something work.

Better way in my opinion, would have been to have slick get frustrated that the controls weren't working, and smash the controller himself, sending it into autopilot mode. It answers why she would still have it outside the zone.

Either way though, I'd suggest if it was real to never go into one, something more dangerous might come to life, then not be able to be stopped outside.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raal wrote:
Since fembots weren't made to think for themselves in the first place and are very likely kept less intelligent than their insecure owners, "no" is a pretty good start I believe.

A fair point, but my heartburn with her saying "no" is that, in doing so, she's tacitly accepting that she actually has any "owner" other than herself; that seems quite at odds with both the very idea of free will, and the supportive views of women Tat has developed and presented over the evolution of Sinfest.

I admit there are times I think Tat takes the feminism a little too far in striving to prove his point, so that what comes across seems more like a call for the Matriarchy than a reasoned point about equality, but this strip is not one of those. Here, I think Tat hasn't gone far enough. Her simple response of "no" in lieu of refuting any possibility of ownership at all, leaves the Fembot as someone who could be owned by another--as a slave on the run, in other words, instead of as a truly free individual. And that implication, that she might even only possibly have any rightful owner other than herself, strikes me as sadly wrong.

No slave can ever be free, unless she frees herself, first. And no free beings can ever be enslaved if they do not accept captivity and shackle their own minds from within.
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo

nice title, that's one of my go-to obnoxious sequel titles as well. that or 'the legend of curly's gold'.

Thought it fit more dealing with a robot.
Score_Under

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Master wrote:
"Talk to the hand, because the central processing unit is not currently taking new directives from third party applications."

Talk to the hand, because the REPL ain't listening
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you should put the date in the title, like everyone else, so it's easier to sort out the threads when we're looking for something. Very Happy
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rogue

I hope she sticks around Very Happy
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Feb 2013 Fembot 2: Electric Boogaloo Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

i don't know that she has free will, her "thought" processes all seem to be programmed. now, whether 'no' was in her initial programming is another question.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I had someone flip out on me because I said no (random stranger asking if he could have some of my chips O.o). It was weird.

Okay so when I was in college we'd play D&D and it was like an adventure into learning about the plethora of different ways people can suck at socialization and there was this one guy who would order entire pizzas and eat them all himself (methodically dumping all of the toppings into the box and just eating the bread part) and if you asked him for a slice of pizza he'd say no in a really nasty way and then act like you were scum of the earth forever, BUT this did not stop him from begging food off of literally everybody else.

He was basically the worst.

Anyway this was supposed to be a story about relating to someone flipping out when you refuse to share chips but halfway through it I remembered I was actually too scared to ever say no.
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readin the strip fo rthe first time Fembot's answer included the third panel. It could be paraphrased as 'let me think about it...' so to me her response seemed sassy enough.

As for free will... She is in auto-pilot mode and her remote has been destroyed so, if there are no other methods to control her, she basically has it. It remains to be seen how smart she is.
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Okay so when I was in college we'd play D&D and it was like an adventure into learning about the plethora of different ways people can suck at socialization and there was this one guy who would order entire pizzas and eat them all himself (methodically dumping all of the toppings into the box and just eating the bread part) and if you asked him for a slice of pizza he'd say no in a really nasty way and then act like you were scum of the earth forever, BUT this did not stop him from begging food off of literally everybody else.

He was basically the worst.

Anyway this was supposed to be a story about relating to someone flipping out when you refuse to share chips but halfway through it I remembered I was actually too scared to ever say no.

You have some of the most awkward stories. Didn't you have any positive experiences with men growing up?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Didn't you have any positive experiences with men growing up?

As I recall it, growing up was seldom a positive experience at all. Much more fun just to be a kid!
;-p
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You have some of the most awkward stories. Didn't you have any positive experiences with men growing up?

I've actually been staring at this for a while feeling kind of concerned and failing entirely to come up with something that's even half as interesting as the horrible stories.

The only really good untainted memories involve hanging out with relatives. Eh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: