welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feb 19, 2013 Penis.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StateOfBedlam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 19, 2013 Penis. Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Quote:
"Matriarchal Action Movie" doesn't sound anything like "stereotypical 'chick flick', but with allusions to menstruation." Is sounds like "Patriarchal Action Movie", but with the sexes reversed (something that a hypothetical society might be produce).

Actually, there was something about a hypothetical society very, very early in the strip's run and what you described does sound like something that hypothetical matriarchy would produce. I really don't know what to make of those three strips, though.

Darcyde isn't necessarily wrong either. With the matriarchy the way it is now, they probably would do it very "woman empowerment" style...IF it was Xanthe and crew producing it. However, this goes with the idea of Tat and the process of social conditioning. Just as the world is conditioning men, it is also conditioning women, meaning that it teaches them to follow stereotypes.

Yes, but it'd be profoundly unusual to me that they were the same stereotypes we have in our society (but it'd be a parody anyway, so that may not matter). What Darcyde described wasn't so much "woman empowerment" as just plain giving women decent characterization.

Heretical Rants wrote:

That is funnier than I was imagining it, I suppose.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 19, 2013 Penis. Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, but it'd be profoundly unusual to me that they were the same stereotypes we have in our society (but it'd be a parody anyway, so that may not matter). What Darcyde described wasn't so much "woman empowerment" as just plain giving women decent characterization.

I don't understand which one you are referring to; was it the version that Darcyde stated or the one I stated? But my point is this: there would be no characterization in the Illuminati sense. Characterization adds depth, and that just wouldn't fly if you are trying to lock people into tiny boxes. Just as the Patriarchal movie is all about guns and explosions (the perfect stereotype of a 'guy movie'") the Matriarchal would be best mirrored as a "chick flick" (every romantic/romantic comedy you have EVER seen).
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, "I HAVE BOOBS" would be Patriarchal Action Movie 3 and it would parody how bad Hollywood is at characterizing women
StateOfBedlam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 19, 2013 Penis. Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
I don't understand which one you are referring to; was it the version that Darcyde stated or the one I stated?

Oh, sorry, I meant yours. I meant that if it's supposed to be an action movie from a "matriarchy" it'd be odd that they were the same stereotypes. What Darcyde described is just non-sexist.

Quote:
Just as the Patriarchal movie is all about guns and explosions (the perfect stereotype of a 'guy movie'") the Matriarchal would be best mirrored as a "chick flick" (every romantic/romantic comedy you have EVER seen).

I wouldn't call a parody of stereotypical "chick flicks" a Matriarchal Action Movie. I wouldn't even call it a Matriarchal Movie, because a parody of "chick flicks" would still be parodying the notion of femininity produced by our society, not a hypothetical matriarchy.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Feb 19, 2013 Penis. Reply with quote

Oh, alright. I see what you both are saying. I agree and that's what I meant to convey.
Zot the Wise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic seriously tempts me to change my avatar to that last panel.
Smilomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the seventies all over again, all men need to apologize for their gender.

Wink

Curiously, it's not as much women today who bring it up in heated discussion, it seems to be primarily young guys who see all the stereotypes and need to apologize on behalf of their gender.

I'm somewhat surprised that this gag is still running, it stopped being funny a long time ago, although that's just my opinion.
I guess old fans just stick to old habits and hope it'll turn around one day.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, nobody is asking you to apologize for being a dude

so why on earth do you think you have to?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how rediculing action movies equates to asking men to apologize for their gender (or their penises, if applicable), no.

How the fuck people are making that leap from A to sausage, I don't know.

Maybe "A, therefore B, therefore hibiscus, therefore epic meal time, therefore sausage, therefore this comic is asking me to apologize for my gender"? Is that the logical progression here?
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick flicks aside, have you guys seen the movie Salt? It's basically a stereotypical guy action movie but a female actress won the part when the male lead backed out. And it comes complete with damsel in distress husband that has to be rescued from the bad guys half the movie. All of which is played straight.
the7thcircuit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: old sinfest Reply with quote

I miss old sinfest all this 'feminism' vs 'male' stuff is getting soooooo LAME

WE GET IT ALREADY JEEZ

Are the rockefellers funding this comic now the same way they funded actual women's Lib back in the day ? (check out Aaron russo, an old friend of rockefellers if u don't believe me)

srsly this comic isn't even that funny anymore (even kind of bashes Christians now instead of seeming like a pro-christian comic, See: spoon me jesus and even devil boy having a 'good side' despite hanging out with demons and still being devil's fanboy) kind of "equal rights" BS is this comic ON NOWADAYS?!!

sry for the rant, no I take that back, I'm not sry, I'm tired of media making people feel bad for HAVING DIFFERENCES

THE HECK HAPPENED SINFEST YOUR BALLS FALL OFF?!
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you always this stupid, or is it a once a month during every full moon kind of thing for you?

because omg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not even a logical response just a lame borderline cliche insult very typical

I stand by my point this comic used to b daily reading for me for literally the last 7-8+ YEARS but now its gone downhill like virtually everything else with this 'script' they're pushing

whatever,its just a comic I know, IRL feminists just wish they had a penis anyway so YOU 'deal with it' Razz
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they're just jealous because they don't have penises?

i mean if that's the case then i totally understand. i have to admit it is pretty cool. having a penis, that is. most of the time, anyway.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, and the7thcircuit goes and brings us Poe's law
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: