Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-02-24: Fierce mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Eiden wrote:
I see nothing in what I am saying that comes into conflict with that at all. Does it bear repeating for any specific reason?

I meant to hit edit rather than reply?

Ah, ok. Got you.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, this strip doesn't even imply that the Fembots intended to kill anyone, let alone that they actually did so. It's even less "incriminating" than I remembered it being. Where are people getting this stuff, anyway?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The human mind is a deep, dark, fascinating, and often thoroughly delusional place. It helps to bring a friend along.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Imply? Yeah, the long claws do imply that at least one of them intended to, at least, harm one of the scientists.

On the other hand, we have empiric evidence of the fact that the attempt failed, so no, they killed no one.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Well... Imply? Yeah, the long claws do imply that at least one of them intended to, at least, harm one of the scientists.

Uh, actually, those are called "fingers."

And there's lots of room between harm and kill.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long claws, sharpened fingers, gives the same, really.

And yeah, there is quite a lot of room indeed, but I don't think is't accurate that never was a killing intent implied. It's really the first place my mind goes to, even if later I can see alternatives.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
I don't think is't accurate that never was a killing intent implied. It's really the first place my mind goes to

Well, no offense, but that's you, then, isn't it? It never occurred to me that the bots were going to kill anyone.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I say let's analize it.

Something that I think we can both agree on is that harm was meant to be delivered, and the position in panel 19 suggests that the right hand would deliver such harm, since that is typically the position one takes when attacking with your hands: Getting the max amount of room between the attacking hand and the target, so that the hand can gain more speed as it reaches the body to be harmed.

Now let's check out that attacking hand: It doesn't feature a fist. It's wide open. To top it, panel 18 clearly shows that the Fembots can have (or perhaps have by default) very sharp fingers. If she didn't intend to punch the guy, what other kind of harm could have been delivered with the right hand?

I think that the options would be an open palm strike or using the sharp fingers to slash or pierce. I'll concede that the first option is not rebutted anywhere in the comic, but figure this: If it was the intention to deliver a non life threatening strike, what would be the meaning of being shown the sharp fingers in panel 18? Clearly Tat wants to put things at stake.

So if we go with the slashing or piercing... Yeah, there still can be superficial damage there, just like with swords. But I think I can be forgiven for automatically assuming a killing intent. Most sword slashes from 'fierce' people won't be so controlled as to think "I want to harm... But not to kill."

If you disagree at any point with this line of thought, tell me so we can discuss it further. Cheers!
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, humans typically have fingernails. and long fingernails are frequently considered sexy, so i am not surprised that fembots would be equipped with them. but fingernails tend to be a bit on the flimsy side, so it's hard to, say, stab someone with them.

so i'm figuring she was prepared to scratch, maybe even claw, but that would be unlikely to result in fatalities.

and i know you are going to leap up and say oh, but robots! made of indestructible metal! but if you are making a robot that is supposed to be soft and squeezable and pleasurable to touch and be touched by, and that is also supposed to be like a human female, wouldn't you make it of something a bit softer? plastic of some sort, i would think.
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point, really.

Yes, one could suppose that they are only long fingernails, sure. However, why are they so emphasized? Let's say that this one doesn't count, after all there's only two panels that feature the fingers like that and they are not THAT sharp. But take a look at the following one, panel 13:

Don't you think that there's a HUGE difference between the shapes of those fingers and the regular ones that Sweaterbot features? And to top, panels 7 and 11? I see no fingernails. I'll stand by my statement: I think that those are just sharp, metallic fingers, which, if this argument continues, I will proceed to call claws for convenience because I'm tired of saying "sharpened fingers".

I do have to ask, though, wth the designers were thinking when they added that.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
I do have to ask, though, wth the designers were thinking when they added that.

Well, presumably a fembot is a rather expensive appliance with, initially, a limited autonomy and a programmed loyalty to her "proper owner." Perhaps Milton and his team included claws as a theft-deterrent system?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gives 'stand by your man' yet another meaning, i guess.

i see panel 13 as more emphasizing the flexing of the fingers, because yeah, she is preparing to do some clawing. but i think the only reason fingernails don't show up in the other panels is because they aren't important to the image there. i mean, he doesn't even draw all four fingers....you can hardly expect that he would then put in details like fingernails.
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I guess that it could be considered a detail, but in any case, it's obvious that the details' there to show that some serious clawing was going to happen. At this point it turns into an "Are those claws or just your regular fingernails?" discussion.

...Miss M, is there a number of instances in Sinfest of fingernails being drawn? Because if there was ever a panel requiring that detail, it's panel 11 above
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
...Miss M, is there a number of instances in Sinfest of fingernails being drawn? Because if there was ever a panel requiring that detail, it's panel 11 above

Sure is. Frequent instances wherein the strip requires a touch of realism - ergo reality zone strips, sinfest night strips or and instance similar - fingernails are often to be seen.

Instances wherein fingernails are seen:

There are other instances but those are the ones I remember what to search for...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't count the RZ comics because, well, radical change of style. But yeah, I guess that while there have been fingernails before Tat is not all that consistent in his stylistic choices. One could argue that it doesn't always apply.

Thanks either way, Miss M!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: