welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Opinion of the 85th Annual Academy Awards is Important
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangit, all these images are huge.

Whatever, it's my thread.

Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
What I did like about Django and the concept: they used the word nigger. It showed the terrible punishments that happened. If anything, things were more brutal but one would be hard pressed to come up with more terribleness without doing historical research. That... might make me a terrible person but I think that is a good thing.

There's a morbidity to his work that I have found off-putting in the past. But I appreciate that he seems to be trying to deal with some substantial social issues lately.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Kitty wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
What I did like about Django and the concept: they used the word nigger. It showed the terrible punishments that happened. If anything, things were more brutal but one would be hard pressed to come up with more terribleness without doing historical research. That... might make me a terrible person but I think that is a good thing.

There's a morbidity to his work that I have found off-putting in the past. But I appreciate that he seems to be trying to deal with some substantial social issues lately.

it's not so much the morbidity but the seeming fetishism in gruesomeness that has put me off. That said, I agree with appreciation in dealing with a subject, that while is a continuation of said gruesomeness, actually tackles of subject of substance.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fetishism and gruesomeness are totally the perfect nouns here. Kill Bill vol. 1 was basically him jerking himself off onto the audiences face for hours on end.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarantino the man is yes, some sort of ridiculous loud mouth clown child in a leather tie, but SHIT I love his movies.

I still haven't seen Django but I LOVE Ingloroious Basterds, even if the Aldo Raine plot is so idiotic it kind of drags down the AMAZING Shoshana plot. COME ON -- that opening scene is fucking INCREDIBLE. Watching that man mountain slowly cave and Hans Landa primp around it is just beautiful film making and writing and directing and cinematography. The scene in the underground bar! The dining room scene! Cat People as Shoshana puts on warpaint! The Morricone!

I really fucking love what he does. A lot.

OKAY ACADEMY AWARDS, I kind of watching it on and off but my hihglights were

JENNIFER LAWRENCE FALLING DOWN -- I've been kind of ambivalent to her right up until she recently said some crazy things about Meryl Streep, and it was just the best little tumble.

Barbra Steisand has WEIRD LONG FINGERS AND LONG NAILS LIKE IN A HORROR MOVIE

Kristen Stewart was so incredibly high on painkillers, I love her inability to annunciate.

wall hi thar giant Michelle Obama floating head.

SHIRLEY BASSEY! she looked very lost but also knocked Goldfinger out of the PARK. Some people said Adele was a bit off but I thought she was a corker. Her dress weirdly blended in with the backdrop though, so from a distance it looked like she was wearing some sort of unflattering disco sack, but then when it was close up it was like BOOM I AM CLINGY AND AMAZING.

I missed out Rusty singing. Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban look like partially melted novelty candles.

Seth McFarlane was a profoundly shit house host. Jesus Christ, he was just... awful.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban look like partially melted novelty candles.

I just lost my shit. xD
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Well, not only do I avoid anything Tarantino touches like the plague (I really despise his style), every time I've seen a person of color talk about it, they're reactions are anywhere between miffed to full on offended.

Very much this. I actually liked Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction... other than that I can't stand him. Too much reliance on blood, gore and shock value. Inglourious Basterds was just plain awful. Not even going to bother with Django.

Life of Pi is a fantastic movie though, glad that it garnered an award for the director.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

It's pretty ridiculous to have a portrayal of someone engaged in part of the slave trade and have them not used the word nigger. Sugar coating horrors in history is a horrible crime, and grossly inaccurate portrayals do just that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, about the awards: I didn't see most of the movies, however Brave was spectacular and definitely was better than Wreck-it Ralph, I'm not saying I liked one more than the other, but the "better" piece isn't always the one you like the most.

Also, since I like to ask knowledgeable people about things:

Samsally: did you see Anna Karenina? It won for Achievement in Costume Design. what was your opinion of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Well, not only do I avoid anything Tarantino touches like the plague (I really despise his style), every time I've seen a person of color talk about it, they're reactions are anywhere between miffed to full on offended.

Like LaVar Burton, for example. He doesn't actually say it's bad, now that I read it again. Still gunna pass, personally.

Burton loved it. He just didn't think it was realistic. It certainly was no roots. (which it indeed isn't.)

Literally everyone I've spoken to about the film has had nothing but praise. Criticism in the press and by others seems to miss the point rather a lot.

(I think you're smart in passing though. It is still heavily Tarantino.)

Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Burton loved it. He just didn't think it was realistic. It certainly was no roots. (which it indeed isn't.)

Literally everyone I've spoken to about the film has had nothing but praise. Criticism in the press and by others seems to miss the point rather a lot.

I used to never want to state my opinion for fear that people I respected would disagree and hate me or be a jerk about it.

This conversation has been an eye-opener. If the people I respect aren't assholes, they're gunna be okay with me not liking a director's work.

I guess what I mean is thanks for being cool, everybody.
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Snorri wrote:

I used to never want to state my opinion for fear that people I respected would disagree and hate me or be a jerk about it.

This conversation has been an eye-opener. If the people I respect aren't assholes, they're gunna be okay with me not liking a director's work.

I guess what I mean is thanks for being cool, everybody.

I had a pair of friend in undergrad who had a falling out over the movie Kill Bill. It was the dumbest thing I had ever seen.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fallout, an actual fallout, over a movie?!? That is stupid. A movie might be contentious and lead to big arguments and a temporary feeling of damn I have a dumb friend but no movie is important enough for that to last.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I can understand that is if the movie brought up some moral issues that the two friends both found important and could not agree upon. Art starts conversations - conversations reveal stuff about your friends that you may or may not feel comfortable with.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time imagining what that extreme moral disagreement could be out of Kill Bill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: