welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-25-2013: Dudebro Tears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:

I didn't say it was. I said it could be interpreted to imply that. Wink

Ah, apologies! I misunderstood. =)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Pretty sure Monkey is 100% aware of what misanthropy means, as it was central to the point he was making.

Its funny how people assume that because I swear at them I must not understand big words.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smilomaniac wrote:
I'm from Denmark, I lived in the Balkans at the start of the war.

I haven't made anything up, the fact that you can't fathom that there's a world outside the US is just proof of how patheticly naive you people are.

What the FUCK does this have to do with anything? Sounds like some spoiled, rich, over-privileged asswipe trying to have street cred. Regardless of how it's meant to sound, it's coming off like bragging. Also, you're the idiot who's assuming people here have little or no interactions, experiences, or exposure to viewpoints outside of the US.

Fuck man, where's Willem when you really him.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Pretty sure Monkey is 100% aware of what misanthropy means, as it was central to the point he was making.

Its funny how people assume that because I swear at them I must not understand big words.

While I encourage you to continue doing so and being yourself...in most conversation anyone that does swear freely, I honestly do immediately think of as less intelligent. Because it's simple sensationalist language people can get behind.

Granted, the difference is HOW people curse...You do often try to curse with some gusto and creativity, I'll give you that. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
The term Mary Sue needs to die soon. I never really thought about the sexist perspective (in the circles I frequent most of the pointed out Mary Sues are male) but people calling characters Mary Sues are harmful to storytelling as a whole, same as the term "Speshul little shnowflake" (needs to die even sooner.)

Writers today are fucking afraid of making a character that feels unbalanced. It's the main concern in writing because hey, you can call characters bad, but at least it's not a Mary Sue. Well fuck that shit. Mary Sues have their place in the world, where idealized, beautiful and charismatic characters are needed. (Anyone remember Galadriel? Belongs to this one critically acclaimed series of books...)

I, myself, have written a few. Not ashamed. There are no wrong or right characters. There are just characters that are well or badly written.

It's a shame we got off on other shit throwing, because I genuinely agree with this point and think it would have been more fun to discuss.

I do agree that the concept of whether something IS or ISN'T a Mary Sue has become so prevalent that readers immediately bash anything that could be a Mary Sue if they dislike the story. It's easy to have one and have a good story. For instance, if Xanthe has been pretty standard in being correct, it's because she's for something correct. On the other hand, while she's manifested some change in the comic, MOSTLY she's simply been in plots where they are fighting the Devil. It's not that she's constantly winning, just that she's fighting. In fact, I feel like if people aren't focused on WHAT she's doing, they'll often see she's played for laughs.

Like this strip. Xanthe coming in wasn't meant to be mean...It was played on an earlier joke. The fact that she so seriously plays it "straight" and un-emotional is the humor. It's the same humor this strip has always had. Only reason people bash it are the few that hate feminism and won't believe there's still a joke there that they refuse to find funny.

If anything IS ruining the comic for me, it's stupid dudebros coming in here complaining about it to such an extent that when I read the comic, I first think of what people are going to say about the character before the joke. =P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comics confirms what we already know.
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
misandry isn't even a fucking thing. any perceived misandry is usually the results of society condemning feminity and idealizing masculinity, trying to keep people locked in gender roles that they may not even want to fit into. but they do anyways because otherwise they are condemned. they are condemned for being who they are most comfortable with being.

yeah, shit people will exist regardless of gender, and race, and all of that! but that doesn't mean that oppression isn't suddenly a thing that doesn't exist. like it or not. don't even play.

I think misandry is a thing, but it ought to be recognized as blowback from misogyny, which is essentially what you're saying. I think it's more interesting and accurate to say that folks who cry about misandry don't actually know what they're talking about, because instead of trivializing a problem-- as petty as the double standards are, they do, in fact, exist-- it acknowledges them, but highlights just how much those "enemies of misandry" have lost sight of things if that's what they've focused on.

To clarify things further, refining the idea of misandry exposes these people as bitter misogynists, and I think it takes away a lot of their self-righteousness and perceived justification for being mean to females. I hesitate to use the term, but it takes a lot of power out of the term; similar to the whole "reverse racism" thing. Yeah, there are some serious problems that shouldn't be ignored, but the folks who look at JUST those things are racist and now we have license to call them as much while agreeing that their grievances are legitimate. They have, by their own admission, no reason for their own hostilities towards progressive philosophies.

Sorry if I took a while to get to my point.

I love you.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of like this: There are women who espouse misandry, and there are women who are feminists, but many folk, especially those with misogynistic leanings, tend to think that all feminist (or any feminist) are also misandrist; two different ideas convoluted together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I like both Xanthe and Slick in this strip.

Xanthe plays it completely straight and I can't help but snicker at Slick's expression.

On another note, how long would a full tank last her?
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
Homeslice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
It's kind of like this: There are women who espouse misandry, and there are women who are feminists, but many folk, especially those with misogynistic leanings, tend to think that all feminist (or any feminist) are also misandrist; two different ideas convoluted together.

Sadly, many of the people who wish to advocate for changes for men refuse to work with feminist for specifically this reason.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Sadly, many of the people who wish to advocate for changes for men refuse to work with feminist for specifically this reason.

bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
Now that I think about it, does Xanthe have some sort of dudebro tears detector? She just kinda showed up when Slick was whining.

i love this idea. it could be her superpower - sorta like spidey sense, except she just senses whining.

which would explain why she seems so sour. wouldn't you, if you could hear all the male whining there is in the world?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also! i have an idea for a new category for the next sinnies: newby who goes from zero to swearing at the stupidity of other posters in the fewest posts.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Homeslice wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

bullshit.

You haven't seen a MRA who doesn't want to work/be associated with feminist?

Or all the people saying that those who fight for gender equality should have a name other than feminism?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would strongly hesitate to say that MRAs are actually interested in "gender equality"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: