welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-02-26: Misandry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the longest time I used to think that butthurt was meant to refer to sitting in your chair for so long it began to pain you, as I would frequently do that. I'm really disappointed that isn't what it refers to, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
For the longest time I used to think that butthurt was meant to refer to sitting in your chair for so long it began to pain you, as I would frequently do that. I'm really disappointed that isn't what it refers to, though.

LOL

It still can with the magic of punctuation Miss Magenta.

"You're butt-hurt."
"Your butt hurt."

Razz

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a counter-question.

Given that this forum isn't a gender studies course, and no one here is compensated for any time spent looking up articles, or references to scientific studies to prove a point, why is the onus on any regular poster here to educate people whose sole contribution to the forum was to complain about the feminist tones in what began as a handful of strips until we learned Tat's computer was also fueled on dudebro tears.

As a follow up.

Imagine this forum like a big room where a bunch of people who kind of know each other to know each other well are hanging out. Many different conversations are going on and then suddenly some stranger barges in and takes a dump in the middle of the room (where taking a dump is an allegory for expressing a patriarchal intolerance for any insinuation that women might not be treated entirely equally by society).

What obligates anyone to be polite to this dude who left a big steaming dookie in the midst of our nice conversations when really what they would like is to yell for them to fuck off out of here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
KDX wrote:
So, regards and goodbye from this former Sinfest Reader.

my favorite part about all of this is that no matter how many of you quit reading sinfest, even if YOU specifically quit reading, there are going to be PLENTY of more people who will decide to pick it up in your absence. maybe some BECAUSE of the feminism. i have noticed plenty of people who have gotten into it because of the feminism.

so you know what? you and your readership is not important to him, and definitely not important to anyone here. not nearly as important as you make yourself out to be. nobody has the time or patience to deal with your close-minded and ignorant shit anyways. which is just fine by you, right?

Xanthë wrote:
(Hysterical feminazgul banshee)

This is something I can relate to heavily.

Guess who is in fact back in part because of the new(er) feminist angle.
Go me!
Cool
Arkhron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point, Monkey McDermott. Now I understand you better, thanks.

And god forbids me to be in your scope some day! XD

Be compassionate
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering...

Does the term 'grammar nazi' invoke Godwin's law?

On one hand yeah, it compares people with strong, loud feelings about grammar with the nezi party.

But on the other hand it's so engrained in popular culture that it's effectively the best term for those people.

What do you think?
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably does, references to Nazi-Fascism shouldn't be used so casually.

I prefer the term grammar police myself.

You can be a good cop (correcting someone to help) or a bad cop (correcting someone to belittle them).
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
bitflipper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

I'll tackle both of those with a single answer: from what I've seen, most Sinfesters are willing to begin from the assumption that just about any dickweed is actually more human than troll, and thus can be educated. Although, I must admit, after said dickweed has managed to prove us wrong in that assumption, there's no-one like 'Festers for coming up with some really creative insults and put-downs.

Either way, the result is generally entertaining.
Adyon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

I'll tackle both of those with a single answer: from what I've seen, most Sinfesters are willing to begin from the assumption that just about any dickweed is actually more human than troll, and thus can be educated. Although, I must admit, after said dickweed has managed to prove us wrong in that assumption, there's no-one like 'Festers for coming up with some really creative insults and put-downs.

Either way, the result is generally entertaining.

I like that too...Giving someone the benefit of the doubt at first is always indicative of good character. While people could take the "haters gonna hate" high ground and not fight after, I do enjoy the good trouncing people give shortly after they've proved to be just as bad as they originally seemed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't actually answer my question though.

Why is the ONUS on any regular poster to educate someone?

It doesn't matter if regular posters exist who don't mind doing it, extracurricular activities are always nice.

The real answer is: There is no onus. There is also no obligation to be polite.

It's nice when people are, but you've got to realize that entering into a new community as an unrepentant combative asshole gets you treated like one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true. If you walked into a party and said, "This is some shitty music, and you all look ridiculous," you'd probably be treated... unwelcome. I wonder why people don't feel the need to engage social graces on the internet. Probably the same reason they become raging assholes: anonymity + audience = raging fuckwallop.
firezdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the sake of strengthening public discourse it's best to be nice. If you treat me civilly and I continue to be an ass, the record is there for everyone to see.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Butt-sore" and "dude-bro" Reply with quote

welp time to jump in and say something

firezdog wrote:

So the way I see it, calling people "dude" and calling people "chick" are on a par, along with implying that people are gay or else have been anally raped, and all of these are a part of a culture we want to get rid of. In short, as the cliche goes, if you use your enemyies' weapons against them, you become the very people you're fighting against.

social justice culture is becoming a weird mirror of the habits of those they act against, but not because they're adapting the same crap as the people they're rallying against. Though, I gotta say, for being so vehemently against derailing, they have become non-self-aware masters of the art themselves.
firezdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sam --

Maybe, if the culture of injustice is as deeply ingrained as people say, simply being aware of it won't be enough to free us from these sorts of behaviors. We slip back into them like so many bad habits -- which would be, in effect, what they are.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I agree with the argument that language, and what language we use, is important, because it does also shape how we think. I think there's an Oglaf comic about that, actually...
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: