welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mar 7 2013 -- Victim Blaming 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good example, people point out that they're tired of trying to give you the "101 treatment" on a subject and you continue to poke at them about it.

You're so hung up on the whole equality issue that what you aren't getting is that men and women do not receive equal amounts of menace, harassment, attention, and disregard for their wishes on a subject. The root assumption is that it's perfectly fine to go bother a woman reading on the bus for example and if you're rebuffed it's because "she's just a frigid bitch" or something similar. This is not at all similar to a male experience and this fact makes it somewhat annoying and offensive when people continue trying to shoehorn "but men!" into the conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbows are tricky because you have to have the right amount of 'just rained' moisture in the air, but then the sun has to have a chance to shine through it. I think that's where a lot of people miss out, it gets too cloudy to get the proper lighting.

North Dakota sucks in a lot of ways, but its super random weather does get us a decent amount of rainbows when it isn't freezing our asses off.
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
That's coll, I'm surprised you went along with it. I will bask in my newfound power of ending discussion.

I don't nearly see enough rainbows where I live. There's all this rain in the pacific northwest, so why not rainbows every day? :/

Can't help you there, dear, no rainbows in Europe either. I suggest it's a conspiracy.

Also, do I have your permission to use a time-machine and go back before your declaration of topic-changes-to-rainbows and converse with Monkey?

The line above this isn't a joke.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
That's coll, I'm surprised you went along with it. I will bask in my newfound power of ending discussion.

I don't nearly see enough rainbows where I live. There's all this rain in the pacific northwest, so why not rainbows every day? :/

Can't help you there, dear, no rainbows in Europe either. I suggest it's a conspiracy.

Also, do I have your permission to use a time-machine and go back before your declaration of topic-changes-to-rainbows and converse with Monkey?

You won't like where the conversation goes man, my patience is tissue paper thin with this topic. Walk away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

You won't like where the conversation goes man, my patience is tissue paper thin with this topic. Walk away.

Please, please, pretty please stripey (*puppy eyes*), can I go play with the other child on the playground? The slide seems soooooo fun!

Seriously, dear Monkey we are talking online in a forum of a webcomic . By default nothing you or any other of us are capable of doing in here can be considered intimidating.

'Walk away'....meh....
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

When I went to Italy I saw lots of rainbows! Of course, it was raining like crazy for whole days, so that might have influenced.
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

When I went to Italy I saw lots of rainbows! Of course, it was raining like crazy for whole days, so that might have influenced.

Aha! So the Italians are abducting all other European rainbows...the plot thickens...this conspiracy is greater than I originally anticipated.

Jeeves, my tinfoil hat!
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Please, please, pretty please stripey (*puppy eyes*), can I go play with the other child on the playground? The slide seems soooooo fun!

Seriously, dear Monkey we are talking online in a forum of a webcomic . By default nothing you or any other of us are capable of doing in here can be considered intimidating.

'Walk away'....meh....

Who said it was meant to be intimidating, I was just informing you of the state of my patience for the endless string of "but menfolk!" arguers that have cropped up around here and saying what I wanted you to do. I'm not sure why you felt you should be intimidated by that, i mean it's everyones right to engage others in conversation how they want to right? You were just arguing that earlier. How you don't HAVE to engage, when people say generally negative or intimidating things to you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Geareye wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

'Walk away'....meh....

Who said it was meant to be intimidating, I was just informing you of the state of my patience for the endless string of "but menfolk!" arguers that have cropped up around here and saying what I wanted you to do. I'm not sure why you felt you should be intimidated by that, i mean it's everyones right to engage others in conversation how they want to right? You were just arguing that earlier. How you don't HAVE to engage, when people say generally negative or intimidating things to you?

100% agreed. On a side note your first and your last line disagree on whether what you said attempted to come across as intimidating or not. But fear not, you are free to be incosistent. Your keyboard, your rules.

Bigger side note: Group a, group b in a society. There is a power imbalance and group b has more privilages in most aspects of the social life and group a has more privilages than b in only a few aspects. Now, for every individual of the society there are two options: solidarity and war. If you choose solidarity you fight to solve every unbalanced situation, no matter for whom it is privileged. Your choice, more power to you. If you choose war, you fight for only the interests of the group you belong to. Your choice, more power to you.
Hint: Only one of the choices enables you to be able to complain about violation of your rights in social gatherings that don't consist of members of your group only without becoming laughable.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for showing us why abstracting away from social problems is stupid, Geareye.
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
thank you for showing us why abstracting away from social problems is stupid, Geareye.

You are welcome. Apparently though, being shown something and being able to see it is two different things.

The problem is that if a logical deduction stands, then it is true. Can't be helped, it is and will remain true, regardless of how we feel about it. Can it be that we can't even fathom the possibility of it being true in actual life even though we see the theory behind it? Sure. However, our feelings are not what decides truth. But it's alright, the beauty of the situation is that we will keep our original ideas regardless, because humans are weak creatures to begin with and with age they also lose the ability to see beyond their noses.

Wasn't this thread about rainbows?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a logical deduction is true if it stands! that is why we know that the moon is made of green cheese. because, see, if Huey Lewis says it's hip to be square, then the moon is made of green cheese. Huey Lewis says it's hip to be square. therefore the moon is made of green cheese.

thank you also, Geareye, for helping is demonstrate why logic that is absent of any soundness is useless.

maybe you're better off talking about rainbows. you don't seem to have a any idea of what you're talking about when it comes to anything else. mostly you seem to just be trying to get as abstract as possible to hide your real opinions, with the consequence that, if we take what you say on face value, you are saying essentially nothing.

Last edited by ShadowCell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Geareye wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

'Walk away'....meh....

I'm just a newbie, so I'm not a god of the forums or anything, but here is some advice based on my observations:

Monkey is worlds better at arguing than you are, as is Shadowcell. I'd suggest that if you want to argue with them, you should quietly supplicate yourself and try not to be annoying.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me sad you missed me in my prime, stripeypants. I used to argue too, but I burnt out and now I mostly just derail threads for fun.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Rainbows are tricky because you have to have the right amount of 'just rained' moisture in the air, but then the sun has to have a chance to shine through it. I think that's where a lot of people miss out, it gets too cloudy to get the proper lighting.

North Dakota sucks in a lot of ways, but its super random weather does get us a decent amount of rainbows when it isn't freezing our asses off.

That explains it, probably. Sad The only good that I think came out of Twilight is the idea vampires would live up here. Because the sun stays away so much, they probably could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 32 of 35

Jump to: