welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy International Women's Day...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just absolutely disgusting.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

article by a Tahrir Square rape victim that deserves to be read (trigger warning and all)
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prevent Another Steubenville: What All Mothers Must Do for Their Sons wrote:
When Max was just a few months old, I sat cross-legged on the floor with him in a circle of other mothers. The facilitator for our "Mommy and Me" playgroup would throw a question out to the group, and we would each volley back an answer.

"What quality do you want to instill in your child? What personality characteristic would you most like for your son to be known for?" she asked.

One by one, the mothers answered. "Athletic," "good sense of humor," "brave," "smart," "strong."

The answers blended together until it was my turn to speak. I looked down at the tiny human wiggling around on the blanket in front of me with his perfectly round nose and his full lips that mirrored mine. I stroked the top of his very bald head and said with confidence: "kind."

I want my son to grow up to be kind.

The eyes of the other mothers turned towards me. "That's not always a word that you hear used for boys," one said. "But yes, you're right... so I guess, me too." At the end of the day, we wanted our tiny, fragile, helpless baby boys to grow up to be kind. Strong, resilient, athletic, funny... but above all else, kind.

Article goes on to discuss some ins and outs of what how we can avoid perpetuating rape and rape culture in the new generation. Objective, not focusing on the question of, "what do we do now?" Highly worth a read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-simon/prevent-another-steubenville-moms-of-sons_b_2896131.html
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a parent, I have to say it is not just a mother's responsibility. Both parents need to teach their children respect and empathy, as well as to stand up for those that can not and for what they consider right. This applies to girls, as well as boys.

There is a pervasive sense of entitlement, not just in this country, but that seems to be true for most humans. The reality is that none of us are entitled, no matter what gender we are, what race, what faith we practice, our orientations, our IQs, our athleticism, or any of the other myriad ways that we humans like to consider ourselves superior to one another. In the end, we're all humans and we should treat each other as such.

It is fine to say we need to teach our sons to respect women and such, but what we really need to be saying is we need to teach our children to respect all humans (really, all life, but that is leading things in another direction).

There is more I could add but thankfully, my son wants my attention so I'll leave it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: