welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-03-18: Patriarchal Bromance Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
slick's always a bit taller in strips like these. see a select few sinfest nights strips, the reality zone, the patriarchal action movie strips, and the sensitive dudebro movie strip.

so it comes as no surprise to anyone, and thus does not need to be called upon. it's nothing new.

yeah, but in those he's also more realistically drawn. here he's just gangly. and squig is his normal self.

just really struck me, is all.
ktern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
That is a rad bromance.

whoaaaaoaaaaoaa caught in a rad bromance
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fake account wrote:
Mr. Meddler wrote:
Why am I suddenly reminded of 'Ted'?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Waynes World movies, the Bill and Ted movies, the Clerks series and any movie involving a stag party. I haven't seen American Pie or Harold and Kumar, but they probably count.

I had terrible taste in movies when younger. I still do, come to think of it, I just don't watch as many.

Forgot the classic example, Top Gun.

Check out Lord Of The Rings...
Spam & Frito alone on those chilly nights, sharing a blanket, then Goddam turns up & breaks up the fun.
Legolam & Gimlet had a thing going on, too.
Eorache has a few scenes with Arrowroot [son of Arrowshirt]. He goes back to doing manly things, and ends up with Liv Tyler.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:

Check out Lord Of The Rings...
Spam & Frito alone on those chilly nights, sharing a blanket, then Goddam turns up & breaks up the fun.
Legolam & Gimlet had a thing going on, too.
Eorache has a few scenes with Arrowroot [son of Arrowshirt]. He goes back to doing manly things, and ends up with Liv Tyler.

I see you've read "Bored of the Rings" By Harvard Lampoon. Funny stuff!
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I don't need to watch Hollywood movies anymore. I can just stare at this comic.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fake account wrote:
Mr. Meddler wrote:
Why am I suddenly reminded of 'Ted'?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Waynes World movies, the Bill and Ted movies, the Clerks series and any movie involving a stag party. I haven't seen American Pie or Harold and Kumar, but they probably count.

I had terrible taste in movies when younger. I still do, come to think of it, I just don't watch as many.

Forgot the classic example, Top Gun.

Um wow, there's some good examples here, but you're way off about Clerks.
I get this feeling you missed a lot in the movies. Dante and Randal don't count, because, while they are are buddies, both movies are about Dante's struggles and his attempts to overcome them. Randal is really used as a mirror to force Dante to look at himself.

Jay and Silent Bob, now they are a different story. They seem to fit the Bromance trope what's being portrayed in the comic, but in Clerks they aren't really the focus of the movie. If anything, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is where we see them in a Bromance, but guess what? Lampshade hanging i.e. it's played to an extreme for laughs. Actually Smith mocks and subverts a lot of tropes in most of his films, like in Dogma, where he gave us the term "hetero life mate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBwvcA4eB1I&feature=youtu.be&t=2m35s

You also shouldn't cite movies you haven't seen and don't know the plot of, it's disingenuous and doesn't help the conversation. On that note, American Pie doesn't fit as a 'hollywood bromance'.

Better examples of hollywood bromance would be Wedding Crashers, Road Trip, The Fast & the Furious, Bad Boys, Mallrats (hint: it's not Jay and Silent Bob), and even Pixar's highly lauded Monster's Inc.

Just because a movie has some guys who are friends and they do some dumb shit doesn't automatically make it a 'hollywood bromance film'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kjralon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
redshirt26 wrote:
Also, that pose looks more romantic-y instead of "I am going to use you because you are a thing"-y.

Except, look at the last panel. Slick has abandoned the Fembot in exactly the same way that Squig has thrown away his girlie magazine--just things to be used and discarded.

Slick may be capable of romance, but it's not going to happen until he starts seeing people as people.

Sad That part made me really sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: