welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/29 senseless violence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleocatra wrote:
Also lol at the concept of someone beliving that it's an equivalent of 'nique thinking that perhaps someone could like her instead of just her body, with her disliking the fact that people just like her for her body. It's not really a fantasy to hope that people actually respect and like you, rather than just seeing you as a fantasy and not a whole person.

Question: If a future strip had a highly similar conversation, BUT between Slick and Squig and referring to Monique, would that be aceptable and relevant? Especially if the 4th panel stated that Slick should try hitting Monique?

Role reversal is an interesting test for the validity of a potentially sexist argument. For all the Ninja theatre implied violence in the past, the idea of Slick hitting Monique is repellant. Yet Monique is talking about hitting men, and this is acceptable?

Monique yearns to be liked for who she is. So does Slick. However, Slick has been rejected since the strip started, he's grown used to it. Monique's problem is more recent, and raw. Does that excuse her discussion of violence? Not in my book.

I'd like to see a confrontation where they Both ask "Why can't you just like and accept me for who I am?" But that's not likely to happen any time soon.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:
cleocatra wrote:
Also lol at the concept of someone beliving that it's an equivalent of 'nique thinking that perhaps someone could like her instead of just her body, with her disliking the fact that people just like her for her body. It's not really a fantasy to hope that people actually respect and like you, rather than just seeing you as a fantasy and not a whole person.

Question: If a future strip had a highly similar conversation, BUT between Slick and Squig and referring to Monique, would that be aceptable and relevant? Especially if the 4th panel stated that Slick should try hitting Monique?

Role reversal is an interesting test for the validity of a potentially sexist argument. For all the Ninja theatre implied violence in the past, the idea of Slick hitting Monique is repellant. Yet Monique is talking about hitting men, and this is acceptable?

Monique yearns to be liked for who she is. So does Slick. However, Slick has been rejected since the strip started, he's grown used to it. Monique's problem is more recent, and raw. Does that excuse her discussion of violence? Not in my book.

I'd like to see a confrontation where they Both ask "Why can't you just like and accept me for who I am?" But that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Odd, it didn't occur to me for a second that 'Nique was talking about Slick. I thought she was just talking about her audience, generic guys in general.

I don't see how 'Nique could possibly doubt that Slick likes her unless her memories of the past twelve years or so have been erased. For much of that time, 'Nique and Slick were depicted as best friends. They've hugged, they've danced, they've bonded, they've consoled each other, they've confided in each other, they've made each other laugh, they've played along with each other's whims, they've mocked and snarked at each other in the way that only good friends can get away with.

The way some people insist on presuming the worst about 'Nique really does get quite tedious. IMHO.
ktern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay if we're actually having this conversation: the joke in today's comic is that 'nique is taking mint's advice wrong, i.e., this hypothetical violence is not being presented as a correct or acceptable solution

can we go back to being silly now
tricksterson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Monique visits violence on Slick and it's shown as a positive thing I'm afraid I'll have to join the anti-Sisterhood forces. Note that even the Sisterhood has only comitted violence against the Devil and his minions.
Geareye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think that Monique isn't refering to Slick who has shown that he's an actual friend to her, but to other 'generic' men. And this is exactly where Monique's mistake lies. These men have only interacted with her -as far as we know from the comic strips- superficially, so the only interest they can have in her is a superficial one.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, how DARE you all!? There is nothing wrong with drawing the hand like a shadow puppet. It is called "economy of lines" and it keeps the image from being overpowered with detail. The human eye is able to make the distinction and instantly draw upon pattern to tell that the fingers are separate. You should all be ashamed! SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME! >Sad

For example: check out "Legschilla" at the near bottom page of this link.

http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=356

Honestly. Don't make me tell on you to your mothers! >:O
Jonin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we fall to the extreme(referring to the comic).

Good good, use your aggressive feelings girl. Let the hate flow through you.
fake account

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:

Legschilla may be cute, but Liefeldchilla is absolutely hysterical
Gibson22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fake account wrote:
Gibson22 wrote:

Legschilla may be cute, but Liefeldchilla is absolutely hysterical

To me, it kind of looks like Gilbert Gottfried. XD
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:
Role reversal is an interesting test for the validity of a potentially sexist argument.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot really, no

unless you live in some kind of magical world where there isn't any social and cultural difference between men and women
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what we've been seeing for the past few months, it would probably have been more accurate if 'Nique had said she used to think that guys respected as a performer.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just imagine if there was no implied distinction between those fingers. Imagine having hands like that. And imagine yourself gesticulating with hands like that.

Imagine it. You could no longer flip anyone off, and would be forever forced to rely on Mr. Rogers to do it for you.
Geareye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
SA_Penguin wrote:
Role reversal is an interesting test for the validity of a potentially sexist argument.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot really, no

unless you live in some kind of magical world where there isn't any social and cultural difference between men and women

I think exactly the lack of existence of such a magical world is why SA_Penguin finds a role-reversal through a work of fiction to be interesting to him/her/I_don't_know.

What exactly SA_Penguin means by 'sexist argument' is puzzling to me, though. Do you refer to a question regarding the nature of sexism in general, or the nature of sexism in regard to male-priviliged societies?
cleocatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktern wrote:
okay if we're actually having this conversation: the joke in today's comic is that 'nique is taking mint's advice wrong, i.e., this hypothetical violence is not being presented as a correct or acceptable solution

can we go back to being silly now

But if women talk about slapping some sense into a man then why is it bad when I talk about punching them WAAAHHHH

If the sisterhood could extract dudebro tears from the internet...
Gibson22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
But just imagine if there was no implied distinction between those fingers. Imagine having hands like that. And imagine yourself gesticulating with hands like that.

Imagine it. You could no longer flip anyone off, and would be forever forced to rely on Mr. Rogers to do it for you.

I long for the day when Mr. Rogers can't flip me off anymore. ;_; I don't think Mr. McDermmot realizes how much of an advantage he has in an argument when my childhood icon is flipping me the bird in each post, as if Mr. Rogers himself is looking at me in harsh judgement... T_T

...I'm going to find a corner to cry in really quick. Please. Carry on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: