welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No such thing. [4/3/2013]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancore wrote:
sammich wrote:
Sleaze was present at the angry mob, but that didn't mean he was actively participating in it or agreeing with it and Xanthe didn't attempt to disambiguate that.

Yes! Always look on the Bright side of... No... no... um no.. sorry.

Its going to take a lot more work then saying "Hey I wasn't a part of that" to make things better.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If he wasn't a part of the mob (Sleaze was, of course, but Slick wasn't), why does he need to make things better? That would make it a misunderstanding and you don't make misunderstandings better, you talk them out and both parties come to an understanding instead.
Yrvani

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammich wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If he wasn't a part of the mob (Sleaze was, of course, but Slick wasn't), why does he need to make things better? That would make it a misunderstanding and you don't make misunderstandings better, you talk them out and both parties come to an understanding instead.

What is it you call allies who turn their back on you when you face a battle?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRAITOR

TRAITOR IS THE WORD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I was right, despite the fact that it was Sleaze that was staring at her, she thought it was Slick.

That's definitely going to cause some issues in the future. More along the lines of Xanthe accusing Slick/being mean to him and Slick having a 'WTF' face on him.

Slick isn't the kind of person to sit down and talk shit out so I really don't see this ever getting any better, not until someone figures out that Slicks alter ego Sleaze is running amok.
Yrvani

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Ya, I was right, despite the fact that it was Sleaze that was staring at her, she thought it was Slick.

That's definitely going to cause some issues in the future. More along the lines of Xanthe accusing Slick/being mean to him and Slick having a 'WTF' face on him.

Slick isn't the kind of person to sit down and talk shit out so I really don't see this ever getting any better, not until someone figures out that Slicks alter ego Sleaze is running amok.

The only one who has to realise this is Slick. Sleaze is his misogynic self, the parts of him he doesn't realise are sexist. He has to battle them, face them. Most likely the only thing that can make him face them is some feminist philosophy.
Vancore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammich wrote:
Vancore wrote:
sammich wrote:
Sleaze was present at the angry mob, but that didn't mean he was actively participating in it or agreeing with it and Xanthe didn't attempt to disambiguate that.

Yes! Always look on the Bright side of... No... no... um no.. sorry.

Its going to take a lot more work then saying "Hey I wasn't a part of that" to make things better.

There are Very strong indicators that Slick is Sleaze and not a separate person aside from mirrorworld (It seems many people still see them as separate). Split personality is probably a better term for it.

Xanthe's reaction today speaks volumes that something broke her armor, was it really the DudeBro attack, something she is prepared to deal with, or was it something a little less obvious but even more hurtful, because she let her guard down in that area.

Anyways I think were coming to a point in the story where this issue will be addressed more firmly but knowing Tat anything's possible.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED ROTHIDE IS DISCUSSING THE CONCEPT OF MALE ALLIES THROUGH THE LENS OF HOME IMPROVEMENT?!
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Xanthe. I've never been pelted with anything but I know how heartcrushing it can be.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED ROTHIDE IS DISCUSSING THE CONCEPT OF MALE ALLIES THROUGH THE LENS OF HOME IMPROVEMENT?!

Wait how does Tim The Tool Time TAylor factor into this? Or his more competent and awesome counterpart, Al?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, are we really turning this into another slick vs xanthe thing or can we just accept that sleaze is a douchbag and douchebags make people feel like shit
MelancholicIdealist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a certain point of view, Slick did help her, since her escape rockets were powered by his misery.

Additionally, I have trouble feeling sympathy for her because of stuff like the above.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have trouble feeling sympathy for her because she has an engine that runs on salty water?
diagram12345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
This statement "no male allies" is pure b/s, considering Tat himself is a man, and most people here keep pushing the ideas of feminism are guys.

I don't agree with their views but that doesn't matter.

Also why did she see Slick? It's like getting mugged by a masked robber or a stranger and seeing your neighbor or your boyfriend every time.

I think Xanthe has issues.

Your statements are confusing. It's obvious in the strip that Xanthe is hurt and upset, and thus is generalizing because of it.

And she saw Slick because he's standing there. In the crowd.
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small essay, it eventually becomes relevant to the strip:

It's not something I do a lot, really, in Sinfest of otherwise, but for very long I have shipped Slick and 'Nique. I really would like it if that worked, and mind you, it's not really about the characters, but about what the ship would represent, namely, personal growth.

One of the main topics that I perceive in Sinfest is the battle between good and evil. Not only in Sisterhood or Jesus against the Devil, but the battle against yourself. Fuchsia is a prime example of that struggle, as is Tat himself, to a level. But Slick had been, for the longest time, strictly between good and evil.

He wants to change, though. He wants to be good. And his main muse had always been 'Nique. While at first he strived to be a pimp and a womanizer, he eventually realized that he didn't needed that. He needed 'Nique. And if he wanted her that wouldn't work. I think we all can agree that it let him get past that stage of his life. However, it never quite sufficed. For every step he took, Nique took three. In the feminist era of Sinfest she is more unapproachable than ever: Slick may try to change, but 'Nique is effectively too good for him. He could take the easy path. Lots of women are more approachable than her at this point. But it wouldn't mean a thing. He is Sinead O'Connor and nothing compares to 'Nique. And if he does get her, his change will need to be real. He is not a good liar.

He would also win his personal inner battle between good an evil, this proving that he, and by proxy everyone, can change for the better. And much like Criminy before him he would morally defeat the Devil.

Like a boss.

So what I'm getting at is, I never understood why certified Sinfest analyst Miss M could ship him with anyone else, let alone Xanthe, who does not only have nothing in common with him but also has, for the longest time, been so flat a character that the RZ would have turned her to paper. At this point I realize that I've been doing the same thing for years.

I approve of Slick x Xanthe.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by Leohan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE CHARACTER MAKING A STATEMENT OF NO MALE ALLIES IS CLEARLY FALSE AS THE PERSON WRITING HER IS A MAN ALLIED WITH HER, HE SAID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: