welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/8/2013 - misguided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlurpeeMoney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate this strip. It takes a big person to admit when they've messed up, and I think it's really good of Tatsuya to do so publicly. While some people don't like the direction the strip has gone in the last few years, the only reason I keep reading is because it's clear that Tat has been growing as a person, and his opinions on some major issues have been changing. It's interesting to watch someone's art evolve around that.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
Intervention wrote:

Feminism doesn't bother me the least bit, him trying to convince us that the old Sinfest was awful and the people who enjoyed it are simply bad influences in his otherwise zen-like fandom tick me right off.

I think that's an ...unnecessary interpretation?

You can realize that some of the earlier strips are problematic and still like them.

It's not about the strip being "awful" or people who like it being "bad influences" just.. enjoy the stuff while acknowledging the problematic bits.

I'm sorry but hasn't "being problematic" made it so much fun back then, and so boring and bland now?
This is why a guy talking on TV for 12 hours with a monotone voice about boring mundane things is not fun, and a wacky guy doing crazy stunts and throwing pies in the face of passers-by IS funny.
Things out of the social norm are fun.
Tat has just shown he has caved in to political correctness - and that is the norm. He's not a.."rebel" anymore, he's not asking the dangerous questions anymore, he's not going against the wave - be it good or bad it's up for debate, at least he tried.
Religion? He made fun of it.
Racial issues - he made fun of them too.
Feminism he used to make fun it too.
It was a bundle of laughs and forced us to watch things from a totally different and sometimes unexpected perspective.

Not anymore.
Now he claims that was "misguided".
The same thing brainwashed people, the people who've lost all hope, all raison d'etre say about their once passionate ideals: Oh i was young and foolish".
Y

:/

It's like the rape joke example I gave in an earlier comment. You can make fun of a thing without it being problematic.
And PC is just another word for "not being a deliberate asshole to others"
So, well, I'm sorry you can't see a way that something can be both non-problematic and interesting. That's... tragic, really. I hope the damage remains limited to yourself and not the hapless individuals who may socialize with you.
crayven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
Intervention wrote:

Feminism doesn't bother me the least bit, him trying to convince us that the old Sinfest was awful and the people who enjoyed it are simply bad influences in his otherwise zen-like fandom tick me right off.

You can realize that some of the earlier strips are problematic and still like them.

It's not about the strip being "awful" or people who like it being "bad influences" just.. enjoy the stuff while acknowledging the problematic bits.

I'm sorry but hasn't "being problematic" made it so much fun back then, and so boring and bland now?
This is why a guy talking on TV for 12 hours with a monotone voice about boring mundane things is not fun, and a wacky guy doing crazy stunts and throwing pies in the face of passers-by IS funny.
Tat has just shown he has caved in to political correctness - and that is the norm. He's not a.."rebel" anymore, he's not asking the dangerous questions anymore, he's not going against the wave - be it good or bad it's up for debate, at least he tried.
It was a bundle of laughs and forced us to watch things from a totally different and sometimes unexpected perspective.

Not anymore.
The same thing brainwashed people, the people who've lost all hope, all raison d'etre say about their once passionate ideals: Oh i was young and foolish".
Y

It's like the rape joke example I gave in an earlier comment. You can make fun of a thing without it being problematic.
So, well, I'm sorry you can't see a way that something can be both non-problematic and interesting. That's... tragic, really. I hope the damage remains limited to yourself and not the hapless individuals who may socialize with you.

Why you keep bringing up "rape" into this?
You're comparing a light-hearted fun strip with rape. How is that one the level?
Besides i keep hearing these "rape jokes" ? What jokes CAN be made about rape anyway? I seriously would like to hear one because i have never heard any until now.

I get the feeling you're trying to inflate this thing out proportion by putting it side by side with a serious issue, and that's dishonest.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
Intervention wrote:

Not anymore.
Y

You're comparing a light-hearted fun strip with rape. How is that one the level?
Besides i keep hearing these "rape jokes" ? What jokes CAN be made about rape anyway? I seriously would like to hear one because i have never heard any until now.

I get the feeling you're trying to inflate this thing out proportion by putting it side by side with a serious issue, and that's dishonest.

Wait, what? Those were just the most accessible examples of problematic versus non problematic jokes based on the same subject that came to my mind. I don't even understand your reaction here. I guess I could find some having to do with racism, too if that would make you more comfortable, though I don't really agree that racism is not also a "serious issue" nor do I think that it's "light hearted" so actually I kind of think you are the one being dishonest in that regard.

And people make jokes about rape all the time, pretty horrible ones, too, so if you're unaware of that, or unaware of the "because humor!" apologism that is rampant for ALL SORTS of blatantly problematic shit then maybe you should re-think your opposition to "political correcntness" AKA "not being a dick"
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAKING A JOKE POST WAY TOO SERIOUSLY check

Shit guys I'm like really close to winning a fridge

Edit: oh shit I forgot EVERYTHING IS FEMINISM'S FAULT. because y'now, people can't make their own decisions, it's all part of a grand movement that's brainwashing and corrupting us (especially if it's equality, those bastards)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mildly surprised that the rape joke conversation got started, actually.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some kind of internet rule where in every discussion rape must somehow inadvertently (or NOT-SO inadvertently) get mentioned? Whenever I stay in a forum long enough it ends up popping up somewhere. O_O

Funny thing is, I am statistically supposed to run into comparisons to Nazi and Hitler by now, but it hardly seems to happen in these forums.

And I was expecting Bob Barker to present the fridge, but that is even better.
crayven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
crayven wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
Intervention wrote:

Not anymore.
Y

Wait, what? Those were just the most accessible examples of problematic versus non problematic jokes based on the same subject that came to my mind. I don't even understand your reaction here. I guess I could find some having to do with racism, too if that would make you more comfortable, though I don't really agree that racism is not also a "serious issue" nor do I think that it's "light hearted" so actually I kind of think you are the one being dishonest in that regard.

And people make jokes about rape all the time, pretty horrible ones, too, so if you're unaware of that, or unaware of the "because humor!" apologism that is rampant for ALL SORTS of blatantly problematic shit then maybe you should re-think your opposition to "political correcntness" AKA "not being a dick"

Umm..no. I am not opposed due to "because humor" , i am opposed because i haven't really heard anyone actually say a rape joke in my life.
Perhaps you are hanging with the wrong crowd if you do.
And how was the black bible or whatever was it called strip "racist" ?
And how was it any different than any other comical portrayal of stereotypes Tat's been doing throughout the years?

Being opposed to political correctness doesn't make one a "dick" ( talk about political incorrect language ).
I just happen to have a larger perspective.
It is political incorrect to criticize muslims in Europe, yet when they do stupid stuff they deserve to be called out.
And this is jsut one example. Respect for other groups shouldn't mean they are immune to criticism ( this on PC ).
PC is Tat not doing comics that are fun, that are "omg outrageous", it's too "sanitary".
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:

Funny thing is, I am statistically supposed to run into comparisons to Nazi and Hitler by now, but it hardly seems to happen in these forums.

MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I am not. Although I am surprised & delighted by Cactuar's drawing (and now yours, suddenly).
Gibson22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
I am not. Although I am surprised & delighted by Cactuar's drawing (and now yours, suddenly).

I wish I had a nice, fancy tablet like all the cool kids. ;_; That's it. I'm buying one tomorrow.

Or is that hand-drawn and scanned? If so, hot diggity-dang, HR and Cactuar, you guys are HELLA fast. O_O

I guess you could say he was the toast of the party? Eh? EH??

It seems like mine was dropped a few times though. ;_;

Last edited by Gibson22 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Cactuar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

I wish I had a nice, fancy tablet like all the cool kids. ;_; That's it. I'm buying one tomorrow.

Or is that hand-drawn and scanned? If so, hot diggity-dang, HR and Cactuar, you guys are HELLA fast. O_O

Mine is hand drawn and scanned. I have a tablet but I'm not so good sketching directly onto the computer like Miss M. (alas!) I have much more speed and precision working with the pencil and paper, so I mostly use my tablet to color scanned pics.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:

FUCK YES

I LOVE YOU CACTUAR
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you turn household appliances into hitler you have to use an actual feature of the appliance for the moustache

like the ice dispenser

It's trying to say 'heil' but it can't stop vomiting ice cubes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: