welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/8/2013 - misguided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2039
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:


It's trying to say 'heil' but it can't stop vomiting ice cubes

Mang, I know THAT feeling.
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Valerie



Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 263

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh. I really like this. <3

Edit: Read the first two pages of this thread. It's hilarious how people are all "IT USED TO BE EVERYONE GETTING MADE FUN OF EQUALLY, WAAAH." Really? How often did Tat make fun of white people, straight people, or men versus how many times he made fun of women and minorities? Go ahead, tally it up. One example isn't going to cut it. What you really mean is, "He made fun of people that you're not supposed to make fun of! It's brave to make fun of oppressed people! Yay, Old-Tat!"
_________________
Men and patriarchy aren't interchangeable.

Chat About
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guu



Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlurpeeMoney wrote:
I really appreciate this strip. It takes a big person to admit when they've messed up, and I think it's really good of Tatsuya to do so publicly. While some people don't like the direction the strip has gone in the last few years, the only reason I keep reading is because it's clear that Tat has been growing as a person, and his opinions on some major issues have been changing. It's interesting to watch someone's art evolve around that.


If "growing up" means turning your strip into an orgy of self-flagellation and childishly naive political correctness, then sure. Funny, though. In all these recent strips about The Man and how all men are patriarchal beasts, I haven't seen a one that backtracks on his treatment of Sarah Palin as a pig. But then, the rules are pretty subjective, I guess. Or maybe I just missed it.

This "growth process" we've been seeing is not healthy. It's a cry for help and forgiveness where only the former is necessary. I find myself wishing he'd change the name of the strip to Percy and Pooch for a bit, just to give him time to get his mind straight and stop beating himself up for no reason.

Oh, and "rape jokes" can be funny and such jokes can be made without serious commentary on the actual acts themselves. In other words, when George Carlin asks us to picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd for comedic effect, who is seriously thinking he is advocating rape itself? Ludicrous.

Tat- get some help, man. Your old jokes were sometimes funny, sometimes offensive, and sometimes both. You've lost sight of the biggest virtue in your strip- that nothing is off limits if you can make it funny. Draw. Laugh. Delight. Smirk. Move On.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambaryerno



Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Oooooh. I really like this. <3

Really? How often did Tat make fun of white people, straight people, or men versus how many times he made fun of women and minorities? Go ahead, tally it up.


It'd probably take a week or two to count them all up, seeing as probably 75-80% of Slick's strips make fun of straight white males to some degree. And if you include Squig as an anthropomorphic representative of a white man himself (think middle-class white stoners) you'd need to include his, too. And what about Crim?. Oh, and the antics of the Resistance in the Matriarchy strips made fun of men as much as it did women.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2840
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guu wrote:
SlurpeeMoney wrote:
I really appreciate this strip. It takes a big person to admit when they've messed up, and I think it's really good of Tatsuya to do so publicly. While some people don't like the direction the strip has gone in the last few years, the only reason I keep reading is because it's clear that Tat has been growing as a person, and his opinions on some major issues have been changing. It's interesting to watch someone's art evolve around that.


If "growing up" means turning your strip into an orgy of self-flagellation and childishly naive political correctness, then sure. Funny, though. In all these recent strips about The Man and how all men are patriarchal beasts, I haven't seen a one that backtracks on his treatment of Sarah Palin as a pig. But then, the rules are pretty subjective, I guess. Or maybe I just missed it.

This "growth process" we've been seeing is not healthy. It's a cry for help and forgiveness where only the former is necessary. I find myself wishing he'd change the name of the strip to Percy and Pooch for a bit, just to give him time to get his mind straight and stop beating himself up for no reason.

Oh, and "rape jokes" can be funny and such jokes can be made without serious commentary on the actual acts themselves. In other words, when George Carlin asks us to picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd for comedic effect, who is seriously thinking he is advocating rape itself? Ludicrous.

Tat- get some help, man. Your old jokes were sometimes funny, sometimes offensive, and sometimes both. You've lost sight of the biggest virtue in your strip- that nothing is off limits if you can make it funny. Draw. Laugh. Delight. Smirk. Move On.


Dude, we already covered the SELF-REFLECTION = CUTTING YOURSELF part on the bingo card.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dasein



Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hit hard. Tatsuya, if you ever read this: Sinfest has grown up with me as a teen to a young adult in the same way that Calvin and Hobbes grew up with me through my preteen years. I can feel the soul in this work.

And as for you children who naively mistake a reflexive awareness of implicit structural prejudices and a sense of hermeneutic justice for mere "political correctness", grow up. If Tatsuya was afraid of criticism as you say, then he would be cowering from you right now. He isn't, so clearly you haven't figured it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you realize things you've been saying or doing are offensive, the guilt doesn't go away - but not doing those things anymore and educating other oeople sure helps.

Why the guilt?

Imagine that one day you wake up able to see someone else's viewpoint. You realize they are being constantly degraded, and that they have to deal some pretty awful, extra crap from others that you don't. Incidentally, this is the same kind of crap you've done and laughed at before.

The next day all is back to normal. You can choose to try and justify, or you can choose to fix your behavior. Either way, you'll feel guilt over how you have behaved.

One of the weirdest things is the second realization - that not only did your words and actions hurt people, but you presented tourself as a stupid person. Really stupid. Immature. Thoughtless. Whiney. Egotistical. Failure.

And guess what? You can't time travel back to any of those moments and pop in just to say, "Hey, FYI I do grow as a person in the future." Nope, to many people, you're just a small tick on the 'bigoted things I habe had to deal with list.'

Also, Blaxploitation Funk Bible was not funny. It was racist. Its humor comes solely from stereotypes about black people. That kind of humor is also lazy, which is near as unforgivable in comedy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6114
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



man, Tat does like three or four strips about how he thinks his older stuff was immature and dependent on nasty stereotypes, and we have a whole parade of whining slobs complaining about "parades of self-flagellation."

Sinfest has been the way it is now for years. the real question is, if you think it's just a "parade of self-flagellation," why are you still reading it? you know what the comic is about now, you know how it operates, and you know it's not changing anytime soon. yet you keep coming back. whatever displeasure you derive from it now is solely your own fault. in fact, constantly coming back and whining about how what he does his comic about is probably just motivating him to keep doing it. obviously you're actively furnishing him with new material. see above.

so, maybe Menage a 3 is more your speed. go read that. be happier. exercise the power of the free market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3348

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this strip and for some reason my first thought was:

"Oh, he's having a midlife crisis. I finally understand what's going on here."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
I saw this strip and for some reason my first thought was:

"Oh, he's having a midlife crisis. I finally understand what's going on here."


What makes you think he's having a crisis?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3348

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Ronald wrote:
I saw this strip and for some reason my first thought was:

"Oh, he's having a midlife crisis. I finally understand what's going on here."


What makes you think he's having a crisis?


I'm not sure why. That's why I said "for some reason." That means I don't know what the reason was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:


man, Tat does like three or four strips about how he thinks his older stuff was immature and dependent on nasty stereotypes, and we have a whole parade of whining slobs complaining about "parades of self-flagellation."

Sinfest has been the way it is now for years. the real question is, if you think it's just a "parade of self-flagellation," why are you still reading it? you know what the comic is about now, you know how it operates, and you know it's not changing anytime soon. yet you keep coming back. whatever displeasure you derive from it now is solely your own fault. in fact, constantly coming back and whining about how what he does his comic about is probably just motivating him to keep doing it. obviously you're actively furnishing him with new material. see above.

so, maybe Menage a 3 is more your speed. go read that. be happier. exercise the power of the free market.


maybe we can produce a song.

"Tat's never going back.
So get out while you can."

It might help the point stick a little.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arkhron



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 266

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

four pages later I still think this strip is sweet as hell.
_________________
Be mellow

Be compassionate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6564

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I'm too late with the popcorn.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WHITEZ check

SELF-REFLECTION = CUTTING URSELF check

BUT MY FREE SPEECH hmm still missing this one. come on guys, I need that bingo.

Oh nooooo we really do need a Sinfest Comments bingo card, for realsies.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we could just cordon it all off into one thread. Except what would I do with my time?

QUICK SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT MISANDRY BECAUSE OTHERWISE I WILL HAVE THE TIME TO REALIZE MY BRAINWASHING HAS MADE ME INTO A FUNLESS DRY HUSK OF A HUMAN BEING WHO NEVER HAS FUN ANYMORE.

OH SMILES, WHERE HAVE YE GONE?
ONCE I WAS A GLEEFUL RACIST
AND NOW I SEE THE SHIT STORM
POURING DOWN OH GOD WHY.

IF I FORMAT MY WORDS RIGHT
IT LOOKS LIKE POETRY
OH GOD MY ANGST, MY CREATIVITY
IS DEAD - LIKE GOD.

I HAVE REFLECTED. I AM CONSUMED.
THE FEMINIST HOARD HAS EATEN ME,
AND I AM BECOME BORING.


I will now weep tears. And eat my brainwashed food.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group