welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/8/2013 - misguided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I?

You're over here defending pretty blatantly racist comic strips. You're claiming "its just a joke" and clearly if you don't laugh at it you don't have a sense of humor.

Gosh it's almost like being a racist but its not....because....reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Have I?

You're over here defending pretty blatantly racist comic strips. You're claiming "its just a joke" and clearly if you don't laugh at it you don't have a sense of humor.

I grow tired of this.
Here's my channel on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/user/cr4yv3n?feature=mhee
do these comments make me look like a racist?
No i haven't made several accounts to fool you, yes they are from racists everywhere that i have met and bashed accordingly.
No i am not a racist, and yes i think the strip was funny.

And the comments are spread over my long activity a sign i haven't "reverted" recently. I always hated racism and opposed it.
This is just nuts to come here and be accused of the very thing i fought against !
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't reinforce it if you're fighting against it chief.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are multiple misguided, and straight up wrong, ways white folks decide to interpret racism. Racism can be best understood in this way: it is a current and historical system of power relations, meaning one race has social, political, and economic power over another. This system exists in institutions, social divisions, access to opportunity, lived experience, and the actions/thoughts of individuals. Simple dictionary definitions (written by white folks) are exactly that: simple, and therefore insufficient. Racism is not judging any person based on their race, it is one race having dominance over another and limiting social opportunities of members of the dominated race by classifying them as inferior. If white folks question which race has maintained dominance in the US, we only need to consider how many white male presidents we have had, how many white male Supreme Court justices we have had, how the constitution was written by white men at the exclusion of people and women of color, and how federal and state legislation continues to work to our benefit. The legacy lives on, even if the historical moment is “over.”"

from http://whiteseducatingwhites.com/2012/08/17/racism-101-this-shit-doesnt-go-in-reverse/

stuff like the blaxploitation comic perpetuates negative stereotypes about black people and thus contributes to a system in which black people are seen as inferior and inherently different from whites. that's why it's racist. that's why laughing at it and finding it funny is racist- it's contributing to a broader system of inequality. it seems like a little thing, but little things, microagressions, add up to form a hostile culture towards anyone who isn't a white male.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:

"He's not a.."rebel" anymore, he's not asking the dangerous questions anymore, he's not going against the wave"? Can you be any more dense?

Can he be any more retarded?

Who the hell do he think the artist is?

HE'S THE GODDAMN TATSMAN.

Can you people utter a phrase without swearing for once. First time i came here i started insulting - shame on me.
Now i came and controlled my every word to not go overboard and i am viciously attacked for - the irony - my freedom of speech.

Also your post is 2/10 funny.

"You people" is a great phrase to use. Continue to do so.

If I engage in a debate with you about why racist comics are not funny, it won't be worth it. If I have a breakthrough with you, several more people will show up right after or in the middle of it. They won't have been keeping up, and then they have to be educated too. After finishing with them, there will be more. And more. And more.

I think educating people is important, but in this case pointless and exhausting. I'd rather talk about food or write stupid poetry or exchange gifs. If you aren't here for that, learn to live with it, because Tat isn't changing what he's writing to cater to your interests and people here want to swear and shout and not deal with you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Have I?

I grow tired of this.
Here's my channel on youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/user/cr4yv3n?feature=mhee
do these comments make me look like a racist?
No i haven't made several accounts to fool you, yes they are from racists everywhere that i have met and bashed accordingly.
No i am not a racist, and yes i think the strip was funny.

And the comments are spread over my long activity a sign i haven't "reverted" recently. I always hated racism and opposed it.
This is just nuts to come here and be accused of the very thing i fought against !

Not going to listen to those. To say, "The blaxploitation comics are not racist" is saying, "Stereotypes are not racist." And that's silly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Rothide on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Wish we could just cordon it all off into one thread. Except what would I do with my time?

QUICK SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT MISANDRY BECAUSE OTHERWISE I WILL HAVE THE TIME TO REALIZE MY BRAINWASHING HAS MADE ME INTO A FUNLESS DRY HUSK OF A HUMAN BEING WHO NEVER HAS FUN ANYMORE.

OH SMILES, WHERE HAVE YE GONE?
ONCE I WAS A GLEEFUL RACIST
AND NOW I SEE THE SHIT STORM
POURING DOWN OH GOD WHY.

IF I FORMAT MY WORDS RIGHT
IT LOOKS LIKE POETRY
OH GOD MY ANGST, MY CREATIVITY
IS DEAD - LIKE GOD.

I HAVE REFLECTED. I AM CONSUMED.
THE FEMINIST HOARD HAS EATEN ME,
AND I AM BECOME BORING.

I will now weep tears. And eat my brainwashed food.

Okay, even if you don't sagree with the sentiments expressed, this is seriously funny.

As for the strip being referenced I didn't really see anything offensive until the last panel, then yeah. Of course I'm intellectual elistist white trash (yes, I manage to be both, also a floorwax and a dessert topping) so what doi I know
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
"There are multiple misguided, and straight up wrong, ways white folks decide to interpret racism. Racism can be best understood in this way: it is a current and historical system of power relations, meaning one race has social, political, and economic power over another. This system exists in institutions, social divisions, access to opportunity, lived experience, and the actions/thoughts of individuals. Simple dictionary definitions (written by white folks) are exactly that: simple, and therefore insufficient. Racism is not judging any person based on their race, it is one race having dominance over another and limiting social opportunities of members of the dominated race by classifying them as inferior. If white folks question which race has maintained dominance in the US, we only need to consider how many white male presidents we have had, how many white male Supreme Court justices we have had, how the constitution was written by white men at the exclusion of people and women of color, and how federal and state legislation continues to work to our benefit. The legacy lives on, even if the historical moment is “over.”"

from http://whiteseducatingwhites.com/2012/08/17/racism-101-this-shit-doesnt-go-in-reverse/

stuff like the blaxploitation comic perpetuates negative stereotypes about black people and thus contributes to a system in which black people are seen as inferior and inherently different from whites. that's why it's racist. that's why laughing at it and finding it funny is racist- it's contributing to a broader system of inequality. it seems like a little thing, but little things, microagressions, add up to form a hostile culture towards anyone who isn't a white male.

Omg that link is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Aww, stick around grampa!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Wish we could just cordon it all off into one thread. Except what would I do with my time?

QUICK SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT MISANDRY BECAUSE OTHERWISE I WILL HAVE THE TIME TO REALIZE MY BRAINWASHING HAS MADE ME INTO A FUNLESS DRY HUSK OF A HUMAN BEING WHO NEVER HAS FUN ANYMORE.

OH SMILES, WHERE HAVE YE GONE?
ONCE I WAS A GLEEFUL RACIST
AND NOW I SEE THE SHIT STORM
POURING DOWN OH GOD WHY.

IF I FORMAT MY WORDS RIGHT
IT LOOKS LIKE POETRY
OH GOD MY ANGST, MY CREATIVITY
IS DEAD - LIKE GOD.

I HAVE REFLECTED. I AM CONSUMED.
THE FEMINIST HOARD HAS EATEN ME,
AND I AM BECOME BORING.

I will now weep tears. And eat my brainwashed food.

Okay, even if you don't sagree with the sentiments expressed, this is seriously funny.

As for the strip being referenced I didn't really see anything offensive until the last panel, then yeah. Of course I'm intellectual elistist white trash (yes, I manage to be both, also a floorwax and a dessert topping) so what doi I know

I'm guessing you're Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, then, because you can use that stuff for anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey, Stripeypants, don't get tired arguing with this guy.

Remember:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2135

Be compassionate
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Monkey, Stripeypants, don't get tired arguing with this guy.

Remember:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2135

Haha, no worries. When I get tired, I'll bring out an amazing food related topic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things on today's discussions:
a) if someone can laugh at a joke, the joke is potentially and ultimately funny. Humor isn't a matter of popular vote.
b) whether jokes -or comic strips in this case- that rely on problematic stereotypes are necessarily problematic is up to debate. One could say, for instance that a joke involving black stereotypes doesn't actually make fun of black people ,but instead is used to indirectly make fun of the people using these stereotypes in real life, by showing how absurd/ridiculous/whatever these stereotypes were. One could make the case that that's irrelevant , because no matter what the intention was, the joke puts together 'laughs' and 'stereotype' and subconsciously reinforces the idea that this stereotypes are something 'amusing'. However, unless one could prove a definite link between the two, the debate wouldn't be settled so easily, if only for the simple reason that some people just don't want to let go of some jokes that some other people don't like and feel they might -quite possibly, but stil not 100% proved- promote said stereotypes.
c) Tat will write and draw what Tat will write and draw, he's successful at what he does and your objections to his ideas have all been adressed by Monique in the famous strip. You can debate the issues if you wish, but don't expect to affect Tat's working-process. Thatt would be catastrophic to the comic, by the way.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, if you want my two cents, I find blaxploitation and/or political incorrectness as an art style, which people will argue that its either perfectly fine or horribly racist, or land in a position between those extremes.

Now this probably isn't the same thing, and please call me out on it if it is not, but remember the artists that made "art" that was Mother Mary in human feces or the Christ on the Cross in a jar of urine? There were many arguments on the validity of the art and whether it was acceptable or not.

I don't have a strong issue either way. Though I will say that I always thought the "blaxploitation" strips were just making fun of the art style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: