welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Devil went down to Georgia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibson22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

Has it really happened? I managed to post a comic first! O_O

By the way, the western Devil looks freaking RAD.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I hear of "Django" I think of the web framework, not the movie. I'm not very up-to-date on movies.

I would totally watch that Djustice movie, though
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. On the one hand, that outfit is super hot. On the other hand, she normally looks like she's 12 yrs old. But on the other hand, that hat is awesome. But on the other hand, skeevy pedo feelings.

Well, crap.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I am super out of date. I haven't even HEARD of "Django." But after reading the story idea I really want to check it out now. AND now I have a hankering to watch some westerns. Gotta start with "Tombstone."
Maynar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:

Has it really happened? I managed to post a comic first!

You did. 8:48 to Darqcyde's 9:06.

Well done, I gave up on the idea a long time ago.

Now I just relax und vatch der blinken lights.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

Maynar wrote:
Gibson22 wrote:

Has it really happened? I managed to post a comic first!

You did. 8:48 to Darqcyde's 9:06.

Well done, I gave up on the idea a long time ago.

And it's not "blinking" lights, per se, but try THIS out! Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVJsPpg1-8
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:
Hrm. On the one hand, that outfit is super hot. On the other hand, she normally looks like she's 12 yrs old. But on the other hand, that hat is awesome. But on the other hand, skeevy pedo feelings.

Well, crap.

Rest assured that no matter what her age is, she'd probably rather set you on fire anyway.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

D-man, considering most people think with their brains, not their skulls, your statement is rather pointless... How would one make that association anyway?

"Dang, that's one submissive skull. Clearly this skeleton will be a wonderful addition my undead army. The last thing I need is another undead uprising."
ktern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scientific knowledge in the west just ain't that great

also why does panel 2 make me ship it harder
Hydra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the devil's hairstyle and goatee.
Suits him.
Hydra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
D-man, considering most people think with their brains, not their skulls, your statement is rather pointless... How would one make that association anyway?

"Dang, that's one submissive skull. Clearly this skeleton will be a wonderful addition my undead army. The last thing I need is another undead uprising."

Back in the days before neurology, they thought you could determine personality by bumps on the skull, where the brain was enlarged.

Which is bull, but not 100% wrong. The hippocampus of taxi drivers is typically enlarged, to the point of taking over nearby systems (which doesn't affect their function).
But still, size of brain regions != personality
Tank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:

I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but both the film, and subsequently the strip, are referring to the outmoded field of Phrenology. It was based on a few assumptions, which as listed by Franz Gall, the primary popularizer of the concept, were,
"- The Brain is the organ of the mind
- The brain is not a homogenous unity, but an aggregate of mental organs with specific functions
- The cerebral organs are topographically localized
- Other things being equal, the relative size of any particular mental organ is indicative of the power or strength of that organ
- Since the skull ossifies over the brain during infant development, external craniological means could be used to diagnose the internal states of the mental characters"

While it was pretty quickly discredited by subsequent research into brain function, it did do a few things right. It was a distinctly materialist understanding of the mind in an era when such a belief was extremely radical. It also developed the idea that different regions of the brain are responsible for different cognitive functions.

Of course, after it became popular science in the mid-19th century, it was used inappropriately to confirm the prejudices and beliefs of individuals living at the time, for instance that the European race was superior, or that women were better suited for engaging with religious material while men were more capable in the arts and sciences. So it goes.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil went down to Georgia Reply with quote

Hydra wrote:
LadySunami wrote:

Back in the days before neurology, they thought you could determine personality by bumps on the skull, where the brain was enlarged.

Which is bull, but not 100% wrong. The hippocampus of taxi drivers is typically enlarged, to the point of taking over nearby systems (which doesn't affect their function).
But still, size of brain regions != personality

And your hippocampus doesn't press against your skull... and there's no correlation between, say, brain size and intelligence...
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:

Well, crap.

She looks a lot older here though. Maybe these are the adult versions of Xanthe and Slick?
jrdelirio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
She looks a lot older here though. Maybe these are the adult versions of Xanthe and Slick?

My take has always been that Slick, Lil'E, Crim, Xanthe, etc. are just "chibi" caricatures of short-statured young-adult characters (after all they have their own houses). Xanthe's image, IMO, gets perceived as extra-infantilized by her usual appearance on a ride that's designed to resemble a child's Big Wheel (foot pedals at the hub of the very large front wheel) rather than a grownup's road trike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: