welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-11: Being a Booth Babe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue went to the same school as Jesus right? Did her parents work very hard to get her there? Are they now dissapointed Blue still decided to work for the Devil?
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Maybe it's because I'm not in the USA, but I only just "got" the mansion reference - being a dig at Hugh Hefner and the Playboy mansion.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Blue went to the same school as Jesus right? Did her parents work very hard to get her there? Are they now dissapointed Blue still decided to work for the Devil?

We don't know for sure if that's "in-continuity" or not (Blue's over two thousand years old and attended a school more or less identical to a 21st century school? where do you even start?).

Even if it is, she wasn't a Devil Person at the time, so it might be entirely moot.

We know too little about Blue herself for me to be even remotely interested in learning about her parents.

That said, if Blue was a peer of The Son of God, what on earth does that imply about who she's the Daughter of? One of the Semitic pagan gods that the Judeo-Christian God "supplanted"? Surely a school where you can earn a halo doesn't let just anybody in.

Now I'm wondering if Ezekiel and Ariel attended that school...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm not in the USA, but I only just "got" the mansion reference - being a dig at Hugh Hefner and the Playboy mansion.

Poor girls are gonna be homeless soon. The playmate mansion, which is next door, is being sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of ironic that a strip so removed from the themes so many people gripe about so much has received so little commentary so far. Wink

Instead of thinking that Fern's been co-opted by The Patriarchy (or what the heck ever), 'Nique's probably just concerned that her new pal works for The Devil. Patriarchy Shmatriarchy, 'Nique's been anti-The Devil almost from the start, and IMHO, to The Devil, The Patriarchy (if one buys into that notion) is simply a means to an end, namely, you know, EVIL. He no more cares about men than he cares about women. He's come a long way from Ezekiel and Ariel making him look like a total stooge every few months or so.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people are still ignoring this strip, which arguably gets back to some of the strip's more basic themes, while the Django knockoff gets more and more comments. Shrug.

Moderately interesting -- well, to me, anyway, and what, the rest of you are paying me for my commentary or something? Wink -- to compare today’s strip to what we’ve seen of ‘Nique’s original attitude toward Booth Babedom:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3042
(oh, the eyes; so expressive)

Sunday strip
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3043
(it’s so strange to remember how earlier strips implied that Fuchsia was Baby Blue’s “superior officer,” not the other way around; also, “Yah”? anyone else have trouble imagining the Blue of today using the affirmative of “Yah”? it’s so ...frivolous)

Back then it didn't seem to occur to her that the Devil Girls wouldn't enjoy the job, she was just saying that it wasn't not for her.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who wants to keep their job will make it look like they love their job. I'm always all smiles when helping a client when inwardly I wish they'd quickly leave so that I can return to be an asocial introvert in my email inbox.

I was also all smiles when I cleaned toilets at a local warehouse when inwardly I hoped everyone would suddenly feel the need to go home as soon as they walked through the door so that they didn't mess up what I cleaned barely 10 goddamn seconds ago.

I doubt the average consumer can see if someone is truly happy or just faking it, because you've become so used to how to do your job that it's easy.

So I think Nique couldn't possibly have known if Blue and Fuchsia were happy or not. And maybe they were, who knows? At that point they thought this was the best they could get back then.
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, BB's change is really understandable. Fuchsia obviously made her happy, and she left her for a human, the kind of people that they used to have fun mocking and tempting, without even saying goodbye.

It's quite tragic in a way. They obviously still care about each other. But in Fuchsia's case she has to choose between being with BB and being with Crim, as well as being free.

I'm sure that this will be explored later on. As I said, lots of things have been happening lately. It's a good time to be a Sinfest fan.
Valerie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:

I never noticed that before. o_o Thank you for pointing it out.

Chat About
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting look here into the, shall we call it, motivation structure that Big-D uses to keep his minions in line. Booth Babe? Hey, at least it's not the Hell Hole! Hell Hole? At least it's not the Bomf District! Bomf District? Be a good little object, do what is expected of you, and maybe, just maybe, you'll get out of there one day. Stick and carrot all together.

A completely constructed relative hierarchy of progress that still only ends as far as being part of the super-patriarch's household, and treated well only so long as you stay in line, (but at least you get a warning!) and mostly because your entire purpose is to make him look good. And hey, there are always worse alternatives, so it's really kinda not all that bad, right? (Do I need a sarcasm tag on that last bit?)

Not like they have their own lives, selves, or even homes. Not like their entire quality of life isn't subject to what the patriarchy thinks of them, what it's willing to bestow on them, and how well they fulfill its demands.

There's almost a 101 on "benevolent patriarchy" wrapped up in this.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs to me (as it's probably long since occurred to everybody else) that Tat's current "radical feminist" approach is, to some extent, nothing less or more than an outright reversal of the strip's original approach, when stereotypical "masculinity" held sway.

Slick referred to himself as a "pimp" every few days or so. Squig called women "trophies." 'Nique was regularly treated as a "sex object" and seemed perfectly okay with that. There was no "political correctness" at all.

Tat isn't just re-creating himself, he's satirizing himself.

As comedian Harry Anderson once said: "If you can't laugh at yourself, you've never seen what you look like sleepin'..."
Arkhron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
An interesting look here into the, shall we call it, motivation structure that Big-D uses to keep his minions in line. Booth Babe? Hey, at least it's not the Hell Hole! Hell Hole? At least it's not the Bomf District! Bomf District? Be a good little object, do what is expected of you, and maybe, just maybe, you'll get out of there one day. Stick and carrot all together.

A completely constructed relative hierarchy of progress that still only ends as far as being part of the super-patriarch's household, and treated well only so long as you stay in line, (but at least you get a warning!) and mostly because your entire purpose is to make him look good. And hey, there are always worse alternatives, so it's really kinda not all that bad, right? (Do I need a sarcasm tag on that last bit?)

Not like they have their own lives, selves, or even homes. Not like their entire quality of life isn't subject to what the patriarchy thinks of them, what it's willing to bestow on them, and how well they fulfill its demands.

/clap. I would give you a cookie if I could.

Be compassionate
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Rune wrote:

/clap. I would give you a cookie if I could.

Aww, thanks! Not that I'm just in it for the cookies or anything Wink
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_Penguin wrote:

I'm not really sure that's what it is, but OK. Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: