welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/12 kill all men
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until serious complaints arrive despite the comic explicately acknowledging the thought is bad/evil.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique thinks a bad thought
And then off to Fern's room for a pillow fight.
Wink
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the concept of "Kill All Men" leaves male children untouched. They would grow up to be the world's new supply of men. There are (I'm guessing) enough sperm banks in the world that procreation wouldn't be a problem in the interim. Plus, obviously, around 50% or so of such procreation would invariably result in male babies, more future men.

So really, Killing All Men would be a strictly temporary solution.

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
BUT WHAT IF IT HAD BEEN SLICK WHO WALKED THROUGH AND YELLED KILL ALL WOMEN SURELY THERE WOULD BE SOME BLEEDING HEARTS CRYING MYSOGNY BECAUSE YOU SEE IT IS ALL EXACTLY THE SAME I HAVE A PENIS

No, there wouldn't.

(1) Slick wouldn't need to yell any such thing because Slick is already chock full of bad thoughts that he regularly tries to overcome. If anything, the detector would probably play music as if he was The Devil's millionth customer OSLT.

(2) Slick is a fictional character whose views we are already well aware we are not necessarily intended to agree with. Just like all of the other fictional characters, including the fictional version of Tat himself.

Incidentally, the obvious implication from this strip is that 'Nique thinks the sentiment "Kill All Men" is a Bad Thought. It's a thought she doesn't like.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in Panel 2, Fern's carrying her lunchbox with her tail?

Tank wrote:
Being unfriendly seems more neutral than bad. Devilcorp might want to upgrade their detectors. Or, you know, get some real security. You'd think the big guy could afford some extra muscle.

I think the implication is that being unfriendly is the worst thing that Fern can imagine herself being, which is kind of cute.
Reader1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... she went in... o.0

Miss Magenta wrote:
She's not going in to see the devil, she's going inside the mansion because a friend invited her inside.

i don't care who it is thats doing the inviting, if you're asked into the closest place to hell on earth it should be a no brainer to decline the offer... then again when i think about how easy getting out of hell appears to be, considering the number of characters that have done it: slick, foosh, squig, storytime, crim maybe i'm just overreacting.

lol wrote:
How long before someone complains that Monique is a misandrist?

i want to, her thoughts have been kinda out there lately

while her words in today's comic could be seen as just a means of entrance into the mansion this comic really shows her true feelings, beating vs killing... hmmm. in the past few comics both nique and glossy have made blanket statements against men. i'm not going any farther than that with it though because i'm willing to wait a bit while tat brings this all together. he's polarized the two characters that represent feminism farther than ever. while it's true that not all men are good it's insane to believe all men are misogynists, just noticed crim and lil'e were absent from the guys at the hell hole in the last sunday strip. if he's pushing things this far i can't help but think that theres something that he's trying to get at. whatever it is i hope it involves slick and nique making up, i like them as friends/other :)

p.s. could someone think up a couple you might be a dudebro if statements as examples?
The other thing Im wondering is if many of you have seen a lot of prejudice against women? Ive never had much of that go on around me so Im curious
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, did we already know that you have to think bad thoughts to get into Stately Devil Manor? That seems kind of pointless. If some "good" dope wanders into the place, The Devil has made it impossible for him/her to escape. I guess he doesn't make corrupt-the-"good" deals in his home office.
sammich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Meh, I think we're far enough along that zygotes made like the cloned sheep would happen before the species ended.

Actually, no. We're a long way from human cloning, much less being able to sustain the population with it, though there would no doubt be an immense amount of resources thrown at it if all men were dead.
Salpta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to get meta, but is Tat saying that man-hate is bad/evil too?

I'm reading this as him trying to say that after harping on misogyny for a while, he's throwing a bone to the misandrist -screaming crowd. eg: He's saying gender hate is bad.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salpta wrote:
Not trying to get meta, but is Tat saying that man-hate is bad/evil too?

I'm reading this as him trying to say that after harping on misogyny for a while, he's throwing a bone to the misandrist -screaming crowd. eg: He's saying gender hate is bad.

He wouldn't be wrong.

Maybe this will make Monique realize that her current approach is incorrect?

Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Nique's current approach in context with that comic (seriously, are you talking about her stage thing?) and how is this incorrect in context of hating a gender?
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
What is Nique's current approach in context with that comic (seriously, are you talking about her stage thing?) and how is this incorrect in context of hating a gender?

Hey, be fair, wanting men dead doesn't necessarily mean that you hate them. Wink
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Hey, be fair, wanting men dead doesn't necessarily mean that you hate them. Wink

Oh I want men dead all the time. They make a nice carpet. Cool
Valerie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:

Is she? She knew it was bad to think that, at least.

Tank wrote:
Being unfriendly seems more neutral than bad. Devilcorp might want to upgrade their detectors. Or, you know, get some real security. You'd think the big guy could afford some extra muscle.

Nah, being unfriendly and not being friendly are two different things, like the difference between not liking something and disliking something.

You probably are right that the place needs better security, though. Razz

Reader1 wrote:
lol wrote:

i want to, her thoughts have been kinda out there lately

[snip]

The other thing Im wondering is if many of you have seen a lot of prejudice against women? Ive never had much of that go on around me so Im curious

I dunno, I think Monique is just really mad and talking out of anger. I feel like it'll pass soon enough, she just needs to vent a little first. That doesn't mean it's okay for her to be a jerk; I just don't see it being permanent.

If you're not a woman, that second part could be hard to explain, but I'll try to give you a few small examples from my own life real quick:

1. My grandmother insists that I should have taken my husband's last name instead of keeping my own. (My husband, by the way, doesn't mind one way or the other.) Others have also told me that I should have taken his last name, these others not even being in my family/friends, but coworkers. One of them said that he would never marry a "girl" who wouldn't take his name, and the other said that he thought I just didn't want people to know I was married. (How often are men pressured to change their names?)

2. My father thinks that we should never have a female president because women are too emotional. He said that she would get into a fight with her husband and start a war. He said this directly to me, his female daughter.

3. Every time that anyone has ever used "girl/girly" as an insult. "You throw like a GIRL," or "I can't believe I lost to a GIRL," or "Did you know that Bob likes My Little Pony? Like a GIRL." (DOUBLE WHAMMY, since that last one is blatantly misandrist as well. Why shouldn't a guy like My Little Pony?)

4. Go to any Youtube video that stars a single person and scroll down to the comments. Youtube comments are always hateful, but there's a distinction between the videos starring men and the videos starring women. If it's a man, they'll talk more about his ideas and what he's talked about in the video. "You're a fucking moron," things along those lines. If it's a woman, the tide will be turned more toward her looks and sexual availability. She might not have mentioned sex once in the entire video, but there will be comments along the lines of, "Whatever, you're just a stupid whore," or "You're so ugly my dog wouldn't fuck you," etc.

Hope that helps. It seemed like a genuine question.

Chat About
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this strip is actually meant to say "Chillax, dudebros. Wanting to kill men or to harm them all is not a positive though and 'Nique is smart enough to notice that. Now can you stop complaining about that other strip?" It's not like this message will get to everyone, though.

Also Fern is so cute I could die.
Hydra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I think she's lying about being unfriendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: