Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! The only thong that really happens now is if I lean on my elbow while laying down, it might hurt. Other than that, I can lift things pretty normally.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why leaning on an elbow would cause thong to happen.
Maybe I don't hang out with the right people.

Anyway, busybodies are working up a frothy mouth-lather over a same-sex couple in a new Nick cartoon. Oddly I can't find anything from them about Gravity Falls or Steven Universe.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trans Man: **Goes about shopping in a normal fashion**

Random Person (from some distance away.) OMG ARE YOU TRANS??? MY DAUGHTER IS TRANS. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR SURGERY BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO GET A FLAT CHEST LIKE THAT TOO!!

Did happen to a local person recently, but thankfully not to me. I'm just in awe of that person's cluelessness.

Absynthe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Random Person (from some distance away.) OMG ARE YOU TRANS??? MY DAUGHTER IS TRANS. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR SURGERY BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO GET A FLAT CHEST LIKE THAT TOO!!

Did happen to a local person recently, but thankfully not to me. I'm just in awe of that person's cluelessness.

Addressing this from a very meta standpoint, and not to diminish the experience of the trans person to whom this happened, I'm kind of happy that this exchange could even take place.
It's awkward if not flat-out disrespectful, and has all kinds of problems with respect and identity and outing and probably twenty other issues I don't even recognize, but... (and this is where a lot of people will say "nothing good comes after but...", and they're often right) progress isn't a lovely linear smooth transition. This is awkward and potentially quite offensive and also. maybe, somewhat of a bridge. It's also a sign of the awkward fucked up fumbling begining of trans being a topic of more mainstream recognition, and eventually, acceptance.
Maybe I'm being way too hopeful, and I truly hope it wasn't traumatic for the trans person at the receiving end, but (oh god, 'but' again) I can be hopeful in that the parent asking the insanely rude question is honestly trying to help their child.
Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absynthe wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Addressing this from a very meta standpoint, and not to diminish the experience of the trans person to whom this happened, I'm kind of happy that this exchange could even take place.
It's awkward if not flat-out disrespectful, and has all kinds of problems with respect and identity and outing and probably twenty other issues I don't even recognize, but... (and this is where a lot of people will say "nothing good comes after but...", and they're often right) progress isn't a lovely linear smooth transition. This is awkward and potentially quite offensive and also. maybe, somewhat of a bridge. It's also a sign of the awkward fucked up fumbling begining of trans being a topic of more mainstream recognition, and eventually, acceptance.
Maybe I'm being way too hopeful, and I truly hope it wasn't traumatic for the trans person at the receiving end, but (oh god, 'but' again) I can be hopeful in that the parent asking the insanely rude question is honestly trying to help their child.
Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist.

I don't agree with you at all that this is in any way a good thing. It's nice that she ended up asking for a well-meaning reason, but what she did was wrong. She outed a trans person loudly in the middle of Wal Mart. That is hella dangerous, as well as uncomfortable. There has been a backlash against trans people here because recently a ten year old law clarifying we have rights was reinforced and strengthened, and people who have no idea the legal stuff is not a completely new law are losing their shit. It is mostly safer here for trans people, but that's a fašade, and we always have to keep in mind that there are transphobes lurking.

Also, this fits into that old thing of harassing trans people by asking them about 'the surgery.' That is personal medical information, so no reason to ask in public (especially without asking if it's okay to ask personal questions first.) the dialogue around trans stuff in the news was terrible when questions were generally asked of trans people this way, and has mich improved since journalists have collectively learned to change their behavior. We even get in-depth reporting now with interesting, non-101 questions. I think the real sign of progress is when non-trans people generally know the basics of etiquette when talking to trans people. This isn't it.

This doesn't bode well for her child either, who she may have been misgendering. In this case, any well-meaning intentions are negated by the results of her behavior.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fat trans man did a counter protest to those naked Trump statues. Someone posted it to Wikimedia for him because the video keeps getting taken down.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ShaneBrodievideo1.webm

stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Facebook post & video have been restored by Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/sbroad.eye/posts/315506568794614

Absynthe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stripey, you brought up some finer points I hadn't considered fully.
You're right, the encounter was bad news all around. I'm again seeing how my privilege and disconnect from other's experiences leads to me misunderstanding a situation.
I appreciate you explaining things so I can learn my blindspots.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed your post, Absynthe. Thanks for being open to learning and doing the hard work!

Surgery recovery update: Uhhhhhh.....I almost never think about it anymore. I may or may not have one more check up (Waited too lobg to schedule it & insurance may not pay for it now.) - but if they feel like revisions are needed, I can't afford it anyway. And I don't want to bother. Chest is flat, life is good, and I'be had no problem swimming shirtless. It's good!

And now even cooler news: My husband will be receiving his surgery referral letter shortly! Very Happy Yay!

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"i almost never think about it" is totally the best-case result. Yay! (and congrats to the hubby)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flight attendant was not the first person to have AIDS in the USA.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/10/26/498876985/mystery-solved-how-hiv-came-to-the-u-s

He was apparently an awesome guy who volunteered to help other people with HIV. It sucks that he was villified for so long.

Also a horrifying case in favor of switching to the 0 with a slash through it.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local trans community is pretty much all on suicide watch together - and as expected, people are killing themselves. Any plans I had are now completely upended.

I was planning on coming back here after the election was over, but I don't have anything leftover to spend here. I think I'm well connected enough that I may be okay. But nothing is at all certain anymore.

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn. i don't know what to say. it just keeps getting more awful.

take care of yourself, stripey.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay safe stripey, and best of luck to the trans community where you are.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The community is now together. People on Twitter are offering financial help fir documents and such. (Including name changes and passports.)

Washington State is pretty safe, as far as I know. Whatever goes down, it should be a good stronghold at least for a few years. It's also well situated fir climate change. It is also very close to Canada.

If you know someone who is POC and LGBT in a bad situation, who are terrified to remain where they are, please PM me. People are opening their wallets and their homes.

I have also been given an offer of 5 temporary rooming situations that would be available now.

Please take care of yourselves. I'll be checking in with more resources as time goes on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 80 of 82

Jump to: