Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 80, 81, 82  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well.

It's just been reported that there are gangs of neo-Nazis crawling through my town tonight, and POC have been warned not to go downtown.

Fuck you, assholes who have been telling us everything is fine.

"They're all the same people as before the election."

Yes, that is the problem.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck fuck fuck fuck

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you in immediate danger?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm safe.

It's still a rumor. Possibly not happening? Maybe just a few people? No idea. No way to verify it right now.

Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/12/trans-teen-suicide-spike-post-election

Quote:
But in trying to confirm that any of the named people had committed suicide, or even existed, I've turned up nothing. Most of their names don't exist in web search results outside of the numerous shares of this list. The more common names yield some people with those names, but none that appear to be dead (i.e., they're still posting on social media) or match the ages or descriptions given. If the named people exist, they appear to have had no online presence prior to their suicides, even though several of them are described as being prominent activists. They had no Twitter profiles, or marriage records, or White Pages listings, or any of the normal online trails you might expect at least the adults to have. Nor was there any record of any of their existences in Nexis' national databases for people, press releases, and news stories.

Figuring the first names given here may not match legal names, I re-tried the Lexis searches using just last names and ages where given. I tried just last names with words such as obituary, funeral, death, suicide, and transgender. I tried just last names in any media mentions in the past seven days. Assuming maybe some of the spellings were off, I tried variations on them that were suggested by search engines (Murano for Murrano, Ryan for Reyan, etc.). I tried full names and last names only in a database of obituaries from the past two weeks. Nothing.

I then searched Nexis for any mentions of suicides, teen suicides, or teenager deaths in the past week, under the theory that maybe the names listed were pure pseudonym but the stories were still based in reality. But this turned up no suicide news and no teen deaths that weren't accounted for otherwise (i.e., a car crash).

Searching Nexis and Google more generally for teen suicide or teen death news, I came across all sorts of older local news articles, including many where the minor was not named but the story of their death still made the news. Teen deaths are relatively rare, and tend to be the subject of at least a local news story whatever the cause of death. I understand only a few days have passed since the election, and the families and loved ones of people who committed suicide may still not want to talk about it publicly. It would be unreasonable to expect all of the stories to have some identifiable record online already. But it's also unreasonable to suggest that none of the them making it online in any way is normal. Even if the parents of trans teens were staying silent, surely there would be at least a grieving friend, gossipy classmate, other family member, or someone in the community who would grieve them anywhere online or talk to a reporter or something. Teenagers in small towns don't just die without anyone in the community noticing, and teenagers in 2016 don't just die without anyone who knew them so much as mentioning their death online for days afterward.

TL;DR - It's possible that reports of trans teen suicides are inaccurate.

Snopes lists it as 'unproven' right now.

Which is a good thing, right?
GreekPlayer64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god I hope the best for you stripey.

Also mindslicer, the reports being incorrect/false is a good thing

But why fake them?

To make people worry? To make people feel bad?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreekPlayer64 wrote:
Oh god I hope the best for you stripey.

Also mindslicer, the reports being incorrect/false is a good thing

But why fake them?

To make people worry? To make people feel bad?

Good question.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about par for the course when I explain things I and my circle are literally experiencing: Hightened scrutiny and automatic disbelief. Same old, except now the gap between our lives and the lives of our priviledged friends seem to be growing wider every day.

Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If reports of those suicides turn out to have been false, it seems to me that getting that truth out should be a help in that it would lessen panic. A cynical part of me thinks that it wouldn't be unlikely for someone who opposes LGBT issues to have started those reports in the hopes that actual people who do exist might follow suit. That would be tragic.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm alive. Still strapped into the roller coaster, but hopefully will have a few days of relaxation this month.

People in my state are trying to pass an anti-trans bill identical to the one in North Carolina.

http://www.washingtonwontdiscriminate.org

I was hoping N.C.'s repeal would deflate local attempts to do this, but of course that kind of hope is not a good idea these days. We have laws that this would be in conflict with. (I'm pretty sure it's even against our constitution.) But that part doesn't matter. When they try this stuff, it saps energy from other important fights, and it increases harassment.

I'm worried about my adult friends, but I'm even more worried about all the kids. They've already got so much heaped onto them. More is just cruel.

Last edited by stripeypants on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you are willing and able, please consider donating to Trans Lifeline.

https://www.translifeline.org

fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just down in WA yesterday. It's kind of mentally jarring to think of people pushing legislation like that in a state where the first thing I saw after I crossed the border was a billboard saying "LEGAL MARIJUANA NEXT EXIT".

Hopefully the bill dies a quick and decisive death. Try to enjoy the snow a bit Stripey (if you have snow where you're at).
The Thirties dreamed white marble and slipstream chrome, immortal crystal and burnished bronze, but the rockets on the covers of the Gernsback pulps had fallen on London in the dead of night, screaming. - William Gibson, The Gernsback Continuum
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington, like Oregon and California, still has considerable pockets of racists, Algerites, militia-shits, and other forms of general right-wing assholery.

They have difficulty winning elections these days, but they're still there.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Washington, like Oregon and California, still has considerable pockets of racists, Algerites, militia-shits, and other forms of general right-wing assholery.

They have difficulty winning elections these days, but they're still there.

By and large, we're pretty solidly liberal her in the upper left corner of the nation, but we still have pockets of republicans in places like Bellevue and the smaller shitsplat towns, and the east side of the state is a wasteland of red-hued idiocy.
It doesn't help that we have Idaho at our back door, or as it's referred to locally, Whiteaho.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever really go to Blaine/Bellingham/Seattle/Port Townsend, which I'm pretty sure are all solidly blue, so that probably impacts my idea of "normal" for WA
The Thirties dreamed white marble and slipstream chrome, immortal crystal and burnished bronze, but the rockets on the covers of the Gernsback pulps had fallen on London in the dead of night, screaming. - William Gibson, The Gernsback Continuum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 81 of 82

Jump to: