welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure there is a significant chunk of people out there who would not at all be happy with words like queer or strange or atypical being used in regards to them.

There are some pretty valid arguments against it. I don't really know what the solution is, though. It'd be nice if there was a word that wasn't a slur that could be used, but the odds are high it would just get turned into one, anyway. Sort of like 'feminism'. May as well stick with what we got and tackle the reason before the symptom.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it sounds like "ate a pickle!"
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: The typical human is a 27-year-old Chinese woman Reply with quote

Maybe that's why they'd make a sour face.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure there is a significant chunk of people out there who would not at all be happy with words like queer or strange or atypical being used in regards to them.

I wasn't actually suggesting they were strange, or that strange was a fitting word, just that of the two definitions of "queer" it was the only one that was inclusive. If we assume its current usage is at all related to its denotative definition, which I'm actually assuming it isn't.

Quote:
There are some pretty valid arguments against it. I don't really know what the solution is, though. It'd be nice if there was a word that wasn't a slur that could be used, but the odds are high it would just get turned into one, anyway. Sort of like 'feminism'. May as well stick with what we got and tackle the reason before the symptom.

Yeah... nothing saying we can't make it mean whatever we want/need it to mean. If the LGBTQQIAA community(ies) prefer(s) it, then rock on.
Moor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atypical doesn't seem that good, because it's saying that there is a "typical". Queer seems to be the biggest non-acronym catch-all, but there are still people who don't identify.

My favorite form I've seen of the acronym is QUILTBAG.
And I don't really think "Ally" belongs in the acronym. It'd be like including "White people who care about racial issues" in a list of racial minorities.
Ennis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:

My favorite form I've seen of the acronym is QUILTBAG.
And I don't really think "Ally" belongs in the acronym. It'd be like including "White people who care about racial issues" in a list of racial minorities.

Yes to QUILTBAG. It's the only acronym that is actually pronouncable.

And yeah, straight allies do not belong in the acronym. Nope. I feel especially strongly about this since I've seen people think that the A is for allies and don't even know about asexuals at all.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer queer as an umbrella term, because it covers everyone and then some. I also like QUILTBAG, because at least that can be pronounced.

Ideally there could be an umbrella term with a positive meaning that covers everyone, but like neutral pronouns and other terms, no one has quite agreed on and unified around which ones.

It's kind of hard because some people don't want to be grouped with certain other groups, and there seems to be usefulness in having a term for gender stuff and a term for sexual orientation (because both are different), while still having an umbrella word for both groups.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anagrams for: lgbtqaiu

12 found. Displaying all:
Gab Quilt
Bag Quilt
Alb Gut Qi
Alb Tug Qi
Lab Gut Qi
Lab Tug Qi
Tab Lug Qi
Bat Lug Qi
Gal Tub Qi
Gal But Qi
Lag Tub Qi
Lag But Qi

hrm
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I wasn't actually suggesting they were strange, or that strange was a fitting word, just that of the two definitions of "queer" it was the only one that was inclusive. If we assume its current usage is at all related to its denotative definition, which I'm actually assuming it isn't.

I didn't think you were. You just happened to touch on one of the main reasons I've heard why a bunch of people don't choose to identify under the term "queer" and I felt like elaborating.

Terminology can really get to be such a snarly mess.

I'm still floating between just calling myself ace or elaborating with gray-a. I think I'll keep using both.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking ABGAILQTQ (to get in all of dogen's letters), but then you essentially start with 'abigail' and emphasize that she is a QT, and that's probably got all kinds of bias.

QUILTBAG, though, is rather nice. if you wanted to get in both As, you could make it AQUILTBAG. which i guess puts everyone together in a single colorful bag, made of excellent needlework.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
QUILTBAG, though, is rather nice. if you wanted to get in both As, you could make it AQUILTBAG. which i guess puts everyone together in a single colorful bag, made of excellent needlework.

I love that! Very Happy

Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ally, I like the idea of not including allies in the acronym. It doesn't really make sense, but I'd never really thought about it before. So, thanks again, folks. Very Happy
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ally, I like to remind myself that blackgirldangerous is sooooooo wayyyyyyyyy over the idea of allies, because it got too popular.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty cool breakdown of sexuality and such. Variable Separation.

It made me realize I'm only gray-a in the sense of Primary Sexuality. Secondary Sexuality is a thing I have never once experienced. It seems like a really shit deal, but hey at least I can -identify- the frustration and why people I care a lot about become progressively less sexy the longer I know them (though not necessarily less physical, romantic, or aesthetically attractive).

Huh.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this revelation.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
This is a pretty cool breakdown of sexuality and such. Variable Separation.

It made me realize I'm only gray-a in the sense of Primary Sexuality. Secondary Sexuality is a thing I have never once experienced. It seems like a really shit deal, but hey at least I can -identify- the frustration and why people I care a lot about become progressively less sexy the longer I know them (though not necessarily less physical, romantic, or aesthetically attractive).

Huh.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about this revelation.

Hmm . . . I think this really says a lot about relationships. In particular, it's making me think of the scenarios where you see two people together regularly, and when one of them gets asked they answer "Am I dating them? No, they are nice but I just don't see them 'that way'."

*edit: I should have read down farther:

Quote:
Being able to make those distinctions between different flavors of attraction could be enormously helpful to people of any orientation. Think of the drama that could be avoided if people had the tools to think “I have a romance-like friendship with my best guy friend and that’s very important to me, but I don’t want to get physical at all, even just hugging”, or “I find this person very sexually attractive, but I’m not romantically attracted to them, so I shouldn't accept their offer of a romantic relationship structure”, or "I find this person very aesthetically attractive, but I don't want to interact with him". Better yet, imagine that people could communicate their feelings clearly to others using widely agreed-upon vocabulary. Amazing!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 16 of 45

Jump to: