Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
There used to be a user named siri... who lived in WA... and with whom I used to be friends (when I first moved to WA)...

for some reason I read your first post as referring to her, and I was confused. I have no idea why she came to mind instead of the iphone assistant. Brains!

Whew, thought I was the only one!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Have you ever read about stereotype threat? It's a phenomenon where people feel heightened anxiety in situations where they're aware that they may reinforce stereotypes. You can demonstrably affect the test scores of women and blacks, for instance, by reminding them of cultural stereotypes (women are bad at math, blacks aren't intelligent) before giving them the test. I don't know how it feels to be trans, so I don't know if this applies, but the effect has been shown in a huge variety of people, and it relates closely to the ideas that gender is a stereotyped performance.

Interestingly enough, studies have shown the stereotype doesn't even have to relate to the person - they found that white people got lower scores in mathematics when reminded of the stereotype that Asians are better at math.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, at least in the state of Maine, you can pee where you wanna pee, not where someone else tells you 'you should': http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/transgender-rights_n_4705613.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you still have to pee in a restroom.

Meanwhile Utah passed something requiring everyone to use the restroom that corresponds to their phenotypic sex. So cisgender women who don't look sufficiently feminine, be prepared to use the men's room.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This steampunk ring has a 'gender detector' thing (which is really just a dial you can move around.)

http://www.amazon.com/Feromonic-Detector-Steampunk-Alchemy-Gothic/dp/B005WVAEX0/ref=sr_1_13?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1391481932&sr=1-13&keywords=poison+ring

I'm not quite sure what the author had in mind, but I think this would be a neat thing for gender fluid people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cross posting this for relevance:

And now, it seems, the Russian Government has hacked a gay dating app. The following message appeared on the screens of people using the app:

Quote:
You will be arrested and jailed for gay propaganda in Sochi according to Russian Federal Law #135 Sektion 6

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/popular-gay-dating-app-hacked-180820174.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really terrifying. I'm worried they're going to completely criminalize being gay there, and just start rounding people up.

Edit: I guess it already is criminalized? In practice, anyway. It's confusing.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/58649/russia-s-anti-gay-law-spelled-out-in-plain-english

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Well, you still have to pee in a restroom.

Meanwhile Utah passed something requiring everyone to use the restroom that corresponds to their phenotypic sex. So cisgender women who don't look sufficiently feminine, be prepared to use the men's room.

according to the article darq linked, at the moment it is just a bill. i am interested in the reason it was proposed, though:
Quote:
We are just trying to make sure people are comfortable," state Rep. Mike Kennedy, the Republican who introduced the bill, told a local newspaper.
- which suggests mr. kennedy has never found himself in a situation with no restrooms he could use.

the maine story is also interesting, as it seems the reason the girl was banned from using the girls' room is because some boy insisted on following her in there and saying her using it made it ok for him to use it. one wonders that they didn't address whatever issues the boy had (transphobia? latent stalking? maybe some questions about his own gender identity? or just general adolescent jerkiness?) - since i can see any one of those being indicators that the boy might be headed for some trouble - rather than make a broad ban on other people, which hurt them and didn't help him.

i don't know why we seem to insist on doing things like that.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
That's really terrifying. I'm worried they're going to completely criminalize being gay there, and just start rounding people up.

Edit: I guess it already is criminalized? In practice, anyway. It's confusing.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/58649/russia-s-anti-gay-law-spelled-out-in-plain-english

it's also far more invidious than i thought. i thought it was a general ban on gay propaganda, but it specifies propaganda to minors - which suggests that anyone who tries to counsel or assist kids grappling with their gender identity could be targeted.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also seems that just saying anything about gayness or being gay is considered propaganda too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piers Morgan needs to serve on a panel with Katie Couric where they both answer unnecessary, invasive questions about their genitalia while everything else about them is ignored.

Because TEACHABLE MOMENTS!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/savannah-garmon-/reframing-the-media-narra_b_4734282.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in Russia isn't new. Putin continues to try to pander to the Orthodox church crowd by passing morality laws.

He also continues to let people like Maxim Martsinkevich and associated organizations publicly kidnap, torture and harm LGBT people in Russia.

Seriously just fuck everything about the Russia right now.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in Russia feels kinda hopeless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe2pee.org has been gone for awhile, but someone just put something better up in it's place.

www.refugerestrooms.org

I hope you'll consider looking at your city and adding what neutral bathrooms you know of. It will really help someone who has to pee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website doesn't have a lot of information. Is it lockable, single occupant bathrooms they're looking for, or bathrooms labeled as for use by everyone, or what? There are some permanent public toilets around PDX I could add, but I'd want to make sure I was adding what they were looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: