welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Can I pirate this thread for my own question? I'd offer advice to Finn but I don't know anything about taking testosterone, so I don't want to make shit up.

Well I'm gunna pirate it anyway since it's surprisingly similar to something that's been on my mind.

I'm beginning to think that my complete lack of sex drive is mostly because of birth control. I take it because I'm a paranoid freak and also it helps with acne, but there is no denying when I look at my past self, the only time I really actually had a sex drive at all was when I was not on birth control.

.... So. Now I wonder if I should stop taking it or not. Even without, I'd probably still be considered gray ace, it's not like the drive was ever -high- by any stretch. It did make things like dating and stuff a lot easier though.

Bler. I just don't know. Plus it's pricey and money is tight and I really detest physicals and I'm due one before they'll even give me more.

samsally, I went back over your post again because I've never encountered the term gray ace before... I want to thank you, I'm doing a lot of reading right now there's a lot of helpful info out there.

It's quite the rabbit hole, isn't it?

Glad it's useful, though. I keep meaning to get into the ace communities but for some reason I just continue to... not.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
IUDs got a bad reputation because of one called the Dalkon Shield that caused pelvic inflammatory disease, but that was a problem specific to that one type of IUD (which no one makes anymore). Other types have been on the market as long as 25 years with better safety track records than pills, specifically because of their lower hormonal influence. One is hormone free and uses copper to change the environment in the uterus. The difference there is that hormone-free IUDs won't sop your menstrual cycle, while types that release hormones tend to reduce or eliminate menstruation. Even in the types that use hormones, because they're positioned in the cervix and thus don't need to circulate hormones in the blood they cause something like 50 times lower changes in blood levels of those hormones.

But always feel free to double and triple check health information you get from some asshole on the internet. It's your body, so you have to know what you're doing to/with it.

While I do not posses a uterus, I can also speak up and say I wish IUD's were talked about as a birth control option more in the states.

.. Then again, I should disclose I probably have a *personal bias* against, uh, birth control pills. Not for religious reasons, or even gender control reasons, more 'I am still pissed at Bayer about Yazmine and its generics for personal reasons', so I realize it is perhaps *SLIGHLTLY* irrational.
(I can explain further, but I don't wanna highjack the thread! Plus, I think I've talked about it before in the past.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
I met someone who is openly transgendered today. As far as I know I haven't met anyone else that is transgendered, so it was kind of cool getting to talk to them briefly and get to know them a bit. He was happy to share with someone that was comfortable enough to ask questions, but admittedly I still feel far from understanding his perspective. I just feel like any personal experience that I have to try and relate to this is woefully inadequate.

Smile Glad you are being supportive! I have a style guide point for you, though - use transgender person or trans rather than transgendered. I can't quite remember why, something about how it should be an adjective, not a verb or a noun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point that every time a read gray-asexual I want to shout just fucking say graysexual already!

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer gray ace because it just sounds badass.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I prefer gray ace because it just sounds badass.

It sounds like it would be your super hero persona.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The super hero who never gets the guy! On purpose!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray ace sounds so much cooler than graysexual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray asexual just sounds awkward to me with the double 'a' sound. graysexual just seems like a natural portmanteau.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally the Gray
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Finn > Finnegan > Gray Finn?

stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
gray asexual just sounds awkward to me with the double 'a' sound. graysexual just seems like a natural portmanteau.

Gray ace doesn't sound awkward.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally the Gray is now fighting tooth and nail with "Laura of the Internet" for "best title given to me by someone else".

I think I've found my new sig.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just hope you don't run into any Balrogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 3 of 45

Jump to: