welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-American college football player Michael Sam came out today
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

That is awesome and good on him and I really hope this signals a change in the pro-sport arena. Dude came out and people supported him and I think there are plenty of people in the NFL who have no problem with it either.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
and I think there are plenty of people in the NFL who have no problem with it either.

yeah, he has support, but i'm not so sure it'll go that well

before his announcement, teams would've had entirely legitimate reasons to pass on him; now it'll be hard to suss out those legitimate reasons from plain ol' homophobia. and that whole Martin-Incognito mess makes me think the NFL isn't as ready for a gay player as some people think it is.

still, i'm sure they said the same things about Jackie Robinson. i'm all for what he's done and i hope he takes the league by storm, but i feel like it's going to be a pretty ugly road.
lostinube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the story behind his announcement.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The website doesn't have a lot of information. Is it lockable, single occupant bathrooms they're looking for, or bathrooms labeled as for use by everyone, or what? There are some permanent public toilets around PDX I could add, but I'd want to make sure I was adding what they were looking for.

I'm pretty sure they want single, lockable restrooms. There are very few unisex restrooms I know of that are open to multiple people at a time.

The old site this is replacing had a lot more info available for each restroom, but it was hard to search. I think this one will be easier to use in an emergency.

Edit: I found this article where the creator of the site explains some more about it, and she talks about the listings.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2014/02/07/trans-woman-releases-bathroom-finder-app-refuge-restrooms

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited by stripeypants on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Snorri wrote:
and I think there are plenty of people in the NFL who have no problem with it either.

yeah, he has support, but i'm not so sure it'll go that well

before his announcement, teams would've had entirely legitimate reasons to pass on him; now it'll be hard to suss out those legitimate reasons from plain ol' homophobia. and that whole Martin-Incognito mess makes me think the NFL isn't as ready for a gay player as some people think it is.

still, i'm sure they said the same things about Jackie Robinson. i'm all for what he's done and i hope he takes the league by storm, but i feel like it's going to be a pretty ugly road.

As I understand it, he's projected as a mid-round pick at best, and it may not be his sexuality that could cause his position to drop, but the media attention it will draw and the distractions that may cause. Team officials will have to decide if they want to endure the inevitable media circus involving the first openly homosexual player, and every decision involving him will be viewed through the lens of whether or not his sexual orientation played a factor -- where he gets drafted, whether he's a starter or not, if he gets benched/traded/cut, the amount of money he's paid, the way his contract is structured, any endorsement deals, etc.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Dogen wrote:
The website doesn't have a lot of information. Is it lockable, single occupant bathrooms they're looking for, or bathrooms labeled as for use by everyone, or what? There are some permanent public toilets around PDX I could add, but I'd want to make sure I was adding what they were looking for.

I'm pretty sure they want single, lockable restrooms. There are very few unisex restrooms I know of that are open to multiple people at a time.

The old site this is replacing had a lot more info available for each restroom, but it was hard to search. I think this one will be easier to use in an emergency.

Edit: I found this article where the creator of the site explains some more about it, and she talks about the listings.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2014/02/07/trans-woman-releases-bathroom-finder-app-refuge-restrooms

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks. It just so happens that I've been hunting down public bathrooms as part of my work with a homeless population in Portland, and some of them (especially ones built by the city to offer all-hours access for people experiencing homelessness) are unisex, single occupant. A bit of a lucky coincidence.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot Thompson is covering the Olympics for the Colbert Report in his Buddy Cole persona from Kids in the Hall . . . my god do I miss that show: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/432980/february-10-2014/sign-off---buddy-cole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

I don't know anything about oddball, but Dale Hansen is a cool old dude.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

yeah, it's bizarre that you can rape and murder and drive drunk and do drugs and beat people up but if you're gay then that's a no-no...but, i mean, those anonymous executives who complained about him aren't the only ones. several team executives and players have also gone on record to say they'd welcome him. so it's all complicated 'n shit.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook now allows custom gender and a neutral preferred pronoun setting.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

Quote:
Samís gayness, the worry goes, might make other fellows in the locker room uncomfortable, his romantic life might prove too distracting for his highly paid ďprofessionalĒ teammates to ignore.

This heavily sarcastic comment is the best point about so many things. On so many topics there is always this "worry" expressed by people who totally are in favour of whatever thing it is that a bunch of fucking adults simply can't get over shit that doesn't matter. Every time it's the same battle and argument, some people might have a problem with something and instead of telling them to fucking deal with it we have to coddle them and hope they get better. Like they're a bunch of kids instead of adults capable of functioning in a society where things sometimes change.

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm starting to thing there should be a mandatory automatic rejoinder to everyone who reacts to the possibility of having a gay coworker by worrying about what he/she will do if said coworker looks at him or whatever:

Get Over Yourself.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slate article linked in that other slate article is the bomb. Sometimes I'm sad that quoting an entire article to highlight is considered bad form.

Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of incapable of professionalism. One of my coworkers told my friend "well but you're okay because you don't flaunt it" about his gayness. He was justifiably offended. A bunch of us have decided to add some supportive decorations to our cubes.

Since I'm kinda known for having an obscene amount of geometric origami all over everything, I made him some to display. Everyone will know I made it. I gave him one in bi colors too cuz I had it laying around. Why the hell not. I made an ace version for myself, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 21 of 45

Jump to: