welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/31/texas-restaurant-fag-customers-gay-bar_n_5423727.html

Quote:
A Texas restaurant that refused to serve "fag" customers is now getting some positive reviews online for being a "gay bar."

Internet users have taken to Yelp to write reviews about Big Earl's Bait House and Galley Cafe in Pittsburg, Texas, where a waitress told one gay couple not to return because they "don't serve fags here." The waitress who made the homophobic remark is the daughter of owner Earl Cheney, and Cheney defended her sentiment.

After the story broke on local news outlets, people began writing reviews for Big Earl's claiming the Texas restaurant is actually a gay bar. Its Yelp page has been flooded with photos of same-sex couples and an image of the store's billboard has been manipulated to read "Big Gay Al's."

One Yelp review reads: "Lovely place to bring your same-sex partner to and show how much you love him/her as much as their food! The more flamboyant, the better!"

Another says: "On the positive side, it says "Bait House" but the place was more like a Bath House with all the horny Texas cowboys flirting and slapping each other's behinds. Very gay-friendly atmosphere!"

The Yelp! reviews are awesome: http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-earls-bait-house-and-country-store-pittsburg

My favorite was this review that made a review from a different angle:

Quote:
I couldn't eat in peace here. I came in to order some pork chops and instead all the male employees continued to undress me with there eyes. The proprietor kept making kissy faces at me. Look I don't mind the gays but when I'm eating id like to be left alone and not harassed by the workers. In all it was a very uncomfortable gay experience for me.

and it included this picture with the caption "the staff":

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a proper way to fight hate darc.

You really think fraud and defamation is the way to go darc?

All that will happen now is that homophobes etc, will support the bar more than ever, and they get free pr.

A boycott would have been more effective.

You can't fight hate with spite.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance, you are actually 100% wrong with what you just said. Boycotts have not been effective for a very long time. They just do not work unless there is a huge groundswell. This goes double if the people "boycotting" them are people who weren't likely to ever be customers in the first place. Boycotts are just barely more effective than online petitions.

Bad PR, however, is very damaging. While it's true that bad PR can be better than no PR in the hands of a business owner savvy enough to take advantage of it, in general most businesses rightfully consider it toxic.

Ridicule is arguably the worst form of bad PR. People eventually get over huffiness and outrage. A laughingstock, however, remains a laughingstock for a very long time. Humans are just wired around ridicule. Being caught in a funny scandal is much more damaging to an actor's career than being caught in a hateful one.

You are right that this will bring the homophobes out to support that one restaurant and indirectly increase business. This is good for them -- in the short term. In the longterm, if the place becomes famous for homophobes to eat, they won't have any other customers. You won't bring your friends there because it'll be uncomfortable having to first qualify where you stand on the issue. The ridicule will ensure the image sticks too.
And lest you think the place can operate on the homophobe dollar alone, well... no. Homophobes do have the advantage of being able to pick people up at normal bars and probably don't need a specialty place for it. I'm not sure how it is up in Texas, but where I live the restaurant business is very cutthroat. If enough people have a good reason to not patronize your establishment, or if your base is too small, you're going to be shut down and replaced within six months or less.

Last edited by Midnight Tea on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smile of spite is the key to staying sane in the shitbag world of customer service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Tea wrote:
Thy Brilliance, you are actually 100% wrong with what you just said. Boycotts have not been effective for a very long time. They just do not work unless there is a huge groundswell. This goes double if the people "boycotting" them are people who weren't likely to ever be customers in the first place. Boycotts are just barely more effective than online petitions.

Bad PR, however, is very damaging. While it's true that bad PR can be better than no PR in the hands of a business owner savvy enough to take advantage of it, in general most businesses rightfully consider it toxic.

Ridicule is arguably the worst form of bad PR. People eventually get over huffiness and outrage. A laughingstock, however, remains a laughingstock for a very long time. Humans are just wired around ridicule. Being caught in a funny scandal is much more damaging to an actor's career than being caught in a hateful one.

You are right that this will bring the homophobes out to support that one restaurant and indirectly increase business. This is good for them -- in the short term. In the longterm, if the place becomes famous for homophobes to eat, they won't have any other customers. You won't bring your friends there because it'll be uncomfortable having to first qualify where you stand on the issue. The ridicule will ensure the image sticks too.
And lest you think the place can operate on the homophobe dollar alone, well... no. Homophobes do have the advantage of being able to pick people up at normal bars and probably don't need a specialty place for it. I'm not sure how it is up in Texas, but where I live the restaurant business is very cutthroat. If enough people have a good reason to not patronize your establishment, or if your base is too small, you're going to be shut down and replaced within six months or less.

You're missing the point. The business that is getting most ridiculed in this article is in fact yelp.

Because of these actions, yelp reviews will be taken less seriously than normal.

Undermining yelp's legitimacy is not the proper way to deal with this bullshit, seeing as they had nothing to do with the ordeal.

Money talks. Boycotts work.

Why merely a university student boycott of fruit of the loom products had a substantial effect on the company's policies concerning Honduran sweatshops back in 2010. The workers were allowed to unionize as a result of the "Students Against Sweatshops" campaign.

Boycotts and protesting work at any level of business structure. Merely 1 or 2 people protesting outside with a clever sign for a couple hours would do more damage at a local level than an obviously fake yelp review.

Armchair protesting is forgotten within hours.
Midnight Tea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organized boycotts can work. However the vast majority of them are, in fact, armchair activism because by definition it involves inaction (not patronizing a business). My point was that loud complaints and ridicule are a much more effective tool than quiet or subdued boycotts if they get the message spread. I'll definitely agree that an organized, effort driven and visible boycott can be brutally effective.

I'll grant you that Yelp isn't nearly enough canvassing to make it work by itself, so I think we're actually on the same page here. Armchair activism doesn't do shit.

Ridicule still can very much be a part of the magic, though.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's one seriously bad photoshop.

I think the initiative's hilarious tho. Perhaps not good or morally right, but it tickles my internet humor.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Big Earl's Bait House and Galley Cafe in Pittsburg, Texas

and it's a seafood restaurant.

i'm kinda surprised they have any customers at all....
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Dakota's ban on same-sex marriage is officially getting challenged in court, and Wisconson's ban has just been struck down.
So now, at last, every existing state ban either has been defeated, or is being brought to court.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Quote:
Big Earl's Bait House and Galley Cafe in Pittsburg, Texas

and it's a seafood restaurant.

i'm kinda surprised they have any customers at all....

gross
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Presbyterian Church just voted to redefine "marriage" and allow same-sex marriages by a 61% majority.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought no good ever came of calvinism.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana's SSM ban bites the dust.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as did oklahoma's, and i think one other state. is there any ban that has been upheld?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utah was the other state - earlier decision upheld by appeals court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 34 of 45

Jump to: