welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Insurance Commissioner of Washington has decided that Washington State insurance companies can not ban services for trans people.

http://equalityfederation.salsalabs.com/o/35037/t/0/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=18210

And he also wants trans people to lodge complaints to him about specific insurance companies:

http://www.theolympian.com/2014/06/25/3199183/insurance-regulator-kreidler.html

I have never heard of this guy before, but omg, he's awesome!
That second link also says that medicaid coverage of trans stuff is under review - which is great! Because I thought it wasn't yet. I am wondering if we are going to hear back before the end of the summer. That would be amaaaaaaazing.

Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess it turns out my 'gray' in gray ace is bi.

I mean I've had suspicions since high school but now I know for sure.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's coo'

it turns out my "ehhhh..." in "whatever the fuck, idc" is actually "straight unless {list of ten or twenty situations that form exceptions, sweet, sweet exceptions, most of which you probably don't want to hear about}"
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trick, isn't it? Once I start paring things down it trucks straight into 'tmi' territory.

I think of it this way: There's usually a list of reasons I wouldn't sleep with someone. Ranging from "holy hell no they are a horrible person that says awful things" to "eh but i could be playing video games instead" and loads of things in between. It's just that a thing that will not appear on the list is someone's gender/sex/or lack there of.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame gender/sex/attraction has to be so tricky. We're an odd species.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it all kind of fascinating, I guess. The variety doesn't bother me at all. The part that bums me out is how very shitty people can be, I guess, so I go out of my way to be at least a little familiar with everything in an attempt to be less shitty.

There are still areas I should probably work on. Or just not talk about ever. Everything is a work in progress.

I've no idea what the world would be like if people weren't as shitty about things that deviate from the established norm. It's actually really hard to imagine. The closest I can come up with is Star Trek's future, but even that is a product of the time period it was made in and not exempt from the really insidious bullshit. (or some of the not-so-insidious bullshit, lets be real, there is plenty of room for criticism there. they tried though.)
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean by tricky is that it's a shame we have to categorize at all, and that those categories can do dramatically affect how people treat you, not that variation exists. I guess I grew up in an area that was liberal enough that the notion that a person finds X attractive is like knowing their favorite color. Maybe we have it in common, maybe it makes us compatible, and maybe not. The notion of building a taxonomy of sexual preference or non-preference seems unwieldy, and not really to anyone's benefit.

Maybe it's just me, though.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Okay I think I understand better now.

I do get that some people really don't like labels and there are a lot of pretty valid reasons not to care for them. In some ways they can cause more dissent by just existing and people generalizing and picking fights over them.

It's just... my lived experience is very very different than what you described. There is a lot of comfort for me to be able to find labels that describe me and know that they exist because other people feel the same way I do.

It's not for everyone and not everyone needs them.

I totally do, though.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly have no problem in anyone using them if it brings them comfort. You can trick out your description of yourself to your heart's content. Smile
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like any of the common labels fit

and making up shittons of new labels is the path of the demifluidmultibysengynegender troldkin bunself

I do not want to go down that path

I also find it strange for someone to be obsessed with coming up with labels to describe what they are despite thinking that what you do matters more than what you are

I guess it's comforting in a way
I can totally empathize with this "there's a name for it" thing
I guess.

Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa holy shit... El Goonish Shive actually improved in art over the years! I haven't seen that in about a decade. Back then it looked like it was going to take The Wotch or Dominic Deegan route and stagnate but it clearly hasn't.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better than that. The writing has improved just as substantially as the art.
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I wish transformation tech existed.

By the way HR, what kind of pronouns do you prefer? I realised at some point I had no idea what gender you identify as and had just been going with "they" the whole time. At some point I thought you were a girl, and then I realised that was just because Nique and ponies were in your avatar, and I always imagine people as their avatar.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as somebody with vastly expansive knowledge about theoretical transformation, scientific or magical, you absoloutely do not wish that technology existed. You might think you do, but you're wrong.

Remember that episode of Rick and Morty where things got so bad they had to jump to a new universe and bail on the entire old one? That's just the tip of the transformation-gone-wrong iceberg. Just. The. Tip.

Knowing that tansformative power is purely in the realm of fiction is the only way I can sleep at night.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've answered the gender question before. According to my prior answer, my gender is "pineapple".

The Heretical Rants of Yesteryear wrote:
my gender is "pineapple" and my sexual orientation is "uhhhhhhm"

Use whatever pronouns you want. I might laugh at you if you start calling me by some of the really strange ones, though. bun bun bun ahahahahahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 35 of 45

Jump to: