welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely takes practice. I have a new friend who prefers the gender neutral pronoun "they," and for some reason that's a lot harder for me than using gendered pronouns. They're very polite about it, but I still feel bad when I mess up. Sometimes it's hard to talk in the third person, like, "Can you grab them their coat," because in my head the subject is plural and the object is singular, and that throws me off.

It turns out Portland has a surprising number of talks on transgender issues, so I've been trying to go to them (there's one today, and then another on the 11th).
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with the neutral pronoun Xe, because I always forget the other forms of it (Where you would say 'him', 'his,' etc.) Every so often I look it up, and hope it'll stick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know of any good books on the transgender subject?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little out of date, but here's a few:

- Redefining Realness, by Janet Mock (It's awesome.)
- Parrotfish (A fictional YA novel about an FtM trans kid. I found it was a quick read, and had good info despite a reference to wearing ace bandages. That is bad.)
- Beyond Magenta: Trans Teens Speak Out (Profiles/interviews of trans teens. Includes PoC!)

An older one you might check out is Becoming a Visible Man, but if your focus is on trans women that's not required.

This book is from 2006, so it's out of date, but is one of the first real collections of how the law treats trans people.
http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/transgender-rights
It still has relevance, and I think is an important background in why activists are doing what they are doing.

I recommend that you follow Janet Mock and Laverne Cox on whatever social media site you prefer.

TransGriot is also great: http://transgriot.blogspot.com/
The author is based in Texas, but is a long-time activist and covers a lot. Race is also front and center there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of Trans Bodies, Trans Selves? It just came out in June. I heard about it on NPR, and it sounded cool, but it's hard to tell.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard briefly about it, but ignored it because it didn't sound like anything I was interested in. (While I glanced at Beyond Magenta, I am generally not interested in reading collections of trans memoirs.) But after reading a description just now, I think I will have to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks! I will look into them. Smile
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I had heard briefly about it, but ignored it because it didn't sound like anything I was interested in. (While I glanced at Beyond Magenta, I am generally not interested in reading collections of trans memoirs.) But after reading a description just now, I think I will have to check it out.

I am, in my philistine way, not usually interested in any memoirs. Buuut, thanks to you and some other people I've been on this kick to learn more about medically underserved populations, so I'm on the lookout for informative things for ignorant philistines. Smile
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the rest of the medical industry follows your lead!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't give you any promises, but I can tell you there are at least 64 nurses who either know how to talk to transgender people or know they will hear from me if I find out they didn't. I'm kind of a big deal (I am not a big deal).

Though, it seems like Portland has to be the best city for trans* people ever. Or at least in the US. Or at least of cities I've lived in. I don't really know what I'm talking about.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned a training program to the local Interfaith, and the director wrote back saying they are super interested because most of their staff is uneducated about trans people but would like to be. That was very promising! There is also a clinic nearby run by a trans man who is basically bringing people in to educate them on how to avoid gatekeeping and how to be awesome to trans patients, then sending them out elsewhere in the world. I don't know what the name of the clnic is, though. River something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... find out for me? As much info as you can, really. I'm a people in the world, always looking for training, and I'm at least somewhat frequently in your backyard.

EDIT: Cedar River Clinics?

Last edited by Dogen on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! I will see if I can dig up the name from old e-mails.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't as buried as I thought!

Here you go:
http://www.cedarriverclinics.org/renton/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the training. It includes someone (a midwife) from that clinic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 44 of 45

Jump to: