welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says at the bottom that it's sponsored by that clinic, along with another clinic. So I don't think it's specifically theirs. But that looks worth checking out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were planning on going to the Boxtrolls like I was, be forewarned that one of the villains was created expressly to make transphobic jokes. They fulfill the whole 'trap' stereotype that you've seen in many films before.

http://phoenixhobbit.tumblr.com/post/97985809295/the-boxtrolls-is-transmisogynist

And you can find a picture of Madame Frou Frou a couple of pictures down on this article (Which I didn't read, so I don't know if it's any good.):
http://gollumpus.blogspot.com/2014/09/movie-review-boxtrolls-2014.html

I'm really disappointed. This was the only film I planned to go see this year. I love claymation, and it looked really fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really disappointing. I thought it looked fun, too. That's a shitty way to find out the villain is a bigoted trope.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. I'm glad I've been too busy to go line up and see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a disappointment! I had such high hopes, too.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this past week, South Park just taught a bunch of people what the word cis means, and they did it well. Slate agrees:

Quote:
Let’s look more closely at how carefully South Park dealt with these issues. Cartman, fed up with sharing the school's bathroom at recess, dons a pink bow, enters a stall in the girls' bathroom and, amid a flurry of defecatory sound effects, declares that he is trans. He proceeds to explain this to the school staff, in the process demonstrating an impressive knowledge of social justice dialogue. The point he makes to Principal Victoria about gender identity versus sexual orientation is spot-on—his mispronunciation “transginger” notwithstanding.

Never, in real life, would I question the self-declared gender identity of any person, for any reason (and nor should you). That being said, Eric “Erica” Cartman is not transgender. The character, pure unadulterated evil in 10-year-old boy form, is well-established as regularly going to cartoonishly offensive lengths to obtain privilege or wealth at the expense of marginalized groups. Case in point: “I'm transginger, I looked it up: That means I can use the girls' shitter.”

Here, Cartman makes (fictional) truth of the threats made by nasty conservative pundits who fight against human rights for trans people: A cis male, falsely claiming trans status, takes advantage of legal accommodations to access a women's restroom for nefarious deeds. And in the process, Parker and Stone hilariously deconstruct that ridiculous fear-mongering argument, and toss it in the toilet, where it belongs.

When the staff discuss the problem, they don't seem upset about the need to provide accommodations for trans kids—in fact, they seem to take as given the appropriateness of doing so—their only issue is with the harm of accommodating Eric Cartman, and rightly so. Mr. Garrison even takes a tongue-in-cheek shot at cis-normativity: “Saying 'normal' is extremely offensive to people who aren't in that group.” In the end, they offer Cartman a separate private bathroom (which they sell him as “executive”).

Wendy comes to school the next day as "Wendell," in a plot to un-seat Cartman from his private throne. And then, something very interesting begins to happen: Stan has trouble choosing a bathroom. “Two people close to me are having gender identity issues,” he explains to the principal, “and I'm ... I'm confused,” he says. This is another huge conservative fear made real: Teach kids that non-cis identities exist, and they'll turn trans. You know, just like how all kids are automatically gay now, because same-sex marriage is a thing?

Full story: http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/10/09/south_park_s_cissy_episode_was_great_on_trans_issues.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catholic bishops decide that playing nicey-nice with gays and divorcees is too much for them. However:

Quote:
Meanwhile, NPR's Sylvia Poggioli reports from Rome that the mayor of the Italian capital, Ignazio Marino, has defied the a law against gay marriage in the country by registering 16 same-sex marriages celebrated abroad.
"Marino said his decision ... is an important step in the fight for equal rights for all," Sylvia reports.
"The move came after the interior minister, Angelino Alfano, sent a notice to local prefects saying registrations of gay marriages would be voided," Sylvia says. "Registrations had already been under way in several Italian municipalities, including Milan and Bologna."
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
If you were planning on going to the Boxtrolls like I was, be forewarned that one of the villains was created expressly to make transphobic jokes. They fulfill the whole 'trap' stereotype that you've seen in many films before.

http://phoenixhobbit.tumblr.com/post/97985809295/the-boxtrolls-is-transmisogynist

And you can find a picture of Madame Frou Frou a couple of pictures down on this article (Which I didn't read, so I don't know if it's any good.):
http://gollumpus.blogspot.com/2014/09/movie-review-boxtrolls-2014.html

I'm really disappointed. This was the only film I planned to go see this year. I love claymation, and it looked really fun.

Fuck. :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Page 45 of 45

Jump to: