welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Idiot wrote:
Can I raise a question, particularly to the transsexuals here: How do you feel about the seemingly endless proliferation of gender identities and other similar labels?

Are you going to follow up by asking the "pure breeds" how they feel about the seemingly endless proliferation of race mixes and other similar labels?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: "The Idiot"

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a completely unrelated note, I find it super funny that his official B-day was revealed to be 12/25
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

URL says it all: http://news.yahoo.com/california-teen-named-nation-s-first-transgender-homecoming-queen-053444443.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I saw the email asking for volunteers to do vaccinations at Portland's Gay and Grey Expo I thought, "I have to show this to Samsally!" Except it turns out it's an event for old LGBTQ people, not LGBTQA people.

Also, I was at a conference on mental health for women of minority status (I forget the name, but "mental health," "women," and, "minority" were all in it somewhere) and the speakers on LGBTQ were using the acronym GLBTQ, which I'd never heard before. So naturally I looked it up and found putting the L first is a nod to "lesbian invisibility", although even that took some work (I'd never heard the term "lesbian invisibility" before). So I learned a thing tod-- crap wrong thread!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha oh my god I got so excited I clicked the link before I even finished the sentence and I was like "Wait what, oh man... bummer... except not, I mean, good for them, having a thing." and then I came back and finished the sentence and rolled my eyes at myself.

I just skimmed the last paragraph of that article too and wow I think I'm kind of insulted but I'm having a hard time articulating why.

I think I just don't understand the concluding message. I mean, is he dismissing the extended acronym because the magazines don't bother including the other sexualities and genders or is he chastising the magazines for not including other sexualities and genders? Both maybe? Reading comprehension is failing me.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"lesbian invisibility"

jesus christ they have cloaking devices now?! RICK SANTORUM WARNED YOU OF THIS
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TABLGQ
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Hahaha oh my god I got so excited I clicked the link before I even finished the sentence and I was like "Wait what, oh man... bummer... except not, I mean, good for them, having a thing." and then I came back and finished the sentence and rolled my eyes at myself.

That's kind of what I did, only there was no warning that I was going to be disappointed (and also go, "Oh, neat, good for them!")

Quote:
I just skimmed the last paragraph of that article too and wow I think I'm kind of insulted but I'm having a hard time articulating why.

I think I just don't understand the concluding message. I mean, is he dismissing the extended acronym because the magazines don't bother including the other sexualities and genders or is he chastising the magazines for not including other sexualities and genders? Both maybe? Reading comprehension is failing me.

I'm not sure. I think it's mainly about writing style, which is to say that they want their writers to only use as many letters as there are lifestyles/sexualities/identities being actively written about. So if the article included lesbians, gays, bisexual people, intersex people, and trans* people, then they'd write LGBTI... or something. I think.

ShadowCell wrote:
"lesbian invisibility"

jesus christ they have cloaking devices now?! RICK SANTORUM WARNED YOU OF THIS

It's very advanced. Watch your kids carefully or the lesbians will get them (but not the gays, because everyone knows they never go anywhere without a parade, so you can spot them coming a mile away).
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

I think it's mostly about just using the whole acronym when it's actually relevant. Otherwise, either refer directly to the relevant group (Gays, Lesbians, Trans*, Intersex, etc), or use a shortened version of the acronym.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get the point he's making in that it doesn't really do anyone any good to make tokens out of the less common sexualities and genders, but a part of me is pretty sure they would just... stop getting talked about if people stopped mentioning them in articles that aren't specifically about them.

There's already huge rifts in the queer community and I guess, personally, it makes me really super happy whenever I see asexuality get acknowledged and mentioned, even if it's just in passing. It's like 'ah, yes good, this person knows i'm here." and I sort of resent someone implying they should stop.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can understand that. It's easy for me to say, "but they're not really including you if they never talk about you," but I don't know what it's like to be ignored. So you prefer the full acronym? LGBTQIA?

That's another problem... there are two Qs, queer and questioning, and two As, asexual and allies. So... is it LGBTQQIAA? Or maybe alphabetical order: AABGILQQT. Then allies come before the people with whom they're allied, which is problematic.

You need your own magazine. Call it Grey, and have it be about everything except sex. See how long it takes anyone to catch on.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, it would be super interesting to see a publication that attempted to completely cut out the 'sex sells' mentality of advertisements, too. I'm not sure I've got what it takes to publish a magazine though, lol.

As for acronyms... I guess I don't mind fitting myself under the super generic term "queer". I know that's not for everybody, though.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that. It used to be a pejorative for gay men, but before that it meant "strange." I like it when groups take back derogatory words, but it's interesting to me that of the two definitions the only one that could include all non-cisgender-hetero people is "strange," which is kind of fitting in the "not the usual" sense... but still kind of weird.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atypical?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 15 of 45

Jump to: