welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I remember about scouting:

Pinewood derby.
Those really kind of unhinged comics in Boy's Life. Pedro's the only one I turned up after a quick Googling but there were others too, written and drawn by the same guy. Seriously, these things were like an acid trip. What the fuck?
Stupid uniforms that cost too much and looked stupid.
Popcorn "sales," and I use the term loosely because it doesn't compare to the success of Girl Scouts cookies. It's really kind of a cruel joke, but at least at the expense of the girls for once.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I remember about scouting:

-Getting bullied until I called one of the other girls a 'bitch' and then completely not understanding why it was a big deal because -they say it on tv- (a+ logic, self).
-Everybody getting mad at my mom for refusing to sign a release form that said it would be totally okay for me to canoe on a river that was flooding and had already killed two people that year.
-Making an adult cry (in a good way) because I was nice to a kid with special needs and helped them glue glitter onto some shoes.
-Learned how to tie cool knots and make a candle and a cooking surface out of a tuna can, a coffee can, some cardboard, and wax... all taught by a boyscout troupe leader, because apparently nobody else knew how to do more than hot glue things to other things.

The last two happened at a day camp, so I was around more than just my own incompetent troupe leader.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually did belong to the boy scouts in high school!

it had something to do with sailing club - we were fixing up a sail boat, and there was some deal that the club leader worked out with the boy scouts - they let us keep our boat there or work there or something - so we all became boy scouts so we could work on the boat.

which sadly never did get fixed up enough to actually sail (or even go in the water). although some grownup person associated with something there did take us out once on his boat, so that was something.

at least i didn't have to get a uniform.

and yeah, the mormon influence is getting a bit creepy. they are turning up behind way too many anti-gay things; they really need to get a grip.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I don't understand why there are Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Why don't they just integrate? Or why doesn't someone start up just a gender-neutral "Scouts"?

The national council of the boy scouts fundamentally believes that boy scouts is a boy thing for boys to learn specifically things that are for men to learn for the things that men do in society and that women have a different place, so to speak.

It's all oldschool patriarchal, like the freemasons. It also contributes to the decline of the scouts.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so still holding on to the disney philosophy, eh? "girls cannot be boy scouts because boy scouting is done by boys and for this reason girls are not considered".
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other scouting groups. There is even one for atheist children/children of atheists. These groups just aren't as famous as the Boy Scouts.

What I learned from scouting: Nothing, because I wasn't allowed for some reason not disclosed to me. Sad That's why I can't start a fire or sell cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't feel too badly. i was a girl scout and i can't do either of those things either. (i don't know what i would do without those duraflame logs in the winter).
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I learned from scouting: nothing. I never would have even considered joining. In fact, if someone had tried to enroll me I would have fought against it tooth and claw.

What I learned from spending altogether too much of my childhood playing with fire:
FIRE
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay fire! Smile

This video is about how homiohobia and transphobia feels, and is based on young people's descriptions:

http://youtu.be/xYCNcOmIy6U

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it kind of weird how different Scouts is in the US compared to Canada. Scouts Canada is gender/sexuality neutral (hence Scouts, not Boy Scouts), and has no religious affiliations.

Hell, even our 'traditional' scouting organization, the BPSA (Baden-Powell Scouting Association) is neutral on such matters.

I actually really enjoyed my time in Scouts, but I left partway through to join the Air Cadets. Quickly left Cadets after 2 years because some of the officers and NCOs were bastards.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a scout for a minute. I had visions of learning to make shelters out of sticks and live off the land. I was 8. Turned out to be a bunch of kids I barely knew listening to a guy that was super creepy talk about how we couldn't do anything they used to do when he was a Scout because of the liberal agenda. Then there were the stupid socks, the short shorts, and the kerchief...
Mini J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, scouts wound up being a bit underwhelming. I think most of it was lazy scout leaders, combined with Canadian winters; we basically spent 8 months inside a school gym playing the same boring games each week, and the last three weeks (once it was above freezing) or so they would try to squeeze in all the outdoorsy stuff.

I also should have won the badge for "least badges earned".
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my scouts experience was unbelievably awesome, got me out into the wilds and learning how to do crazy awesome stuff and giving me some of the better memories of my childhood, including the winter expeditions, so there's an element of bittersweet sentiment in watching the organization fail to evolve with the times and adapt to important lessons in equality.

the National Executive Board is a wasteland of troglodytes who want to pretend they can carry on with the old 'wholesome' ways. It includes the exxonmobil ceo and literally the fucking president of the mormon church ó the whole fucking system needs a kick in the pants and the mormons need to peace out to create their own insular BSA analogue that can stay as weird and backward as their church, and the BSA needs to generally secularize.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or i guess it could also just carry on as-is with milquetoast concessions to emerging progressive realities and fade into history, whaevs
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just die. Dying is always an option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 25 of 45

Jump to: