welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1175
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: just another javelin catcher in the culture wars Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
You do realize in its current iteration that Opera has essentially become a Chrome cone, right?


It's got nice built in IRC and Email clients, which, AFAIK Chrome does not. It has TurboMode, which speeds up browsing on crappy old computers, which is great for me when I'm working on refurbished stuff. It's also very stringent about web standards - it doesn't support very much of anything outside of the current standards. So if I'm testing a website, and it works in Opera, it's general safe to assume it will work in other browsers as well.

And, most importantly, it's not related to Google.


It wasn't:
Quote:
Michael Muchmore, writing in PC Magazine, commented in a review of Opera 20 shortly after its release that, on replacing its own Presto engine by Google's, Opera had become largely an interface built on top of Chrome, using Chrome's underlying code. Users who wanted the ingenious Opera features dropped in later versions could download version 12, still maintained.


Bolded words are my emphasis. I use Opera 12.16 build 1860 (generally considered the most feature-complete and reliable afaik) as does my work. All versions of Opera prior to 15 still use the Presto engine which was developed by Opera Software, rather than the Chromium-based Blink engine used in the latest Chrome and Opera releases.

So yeah, the latest Opera is basically just a reskinned Chromium browser but 12.16 is still massively popular and is very much an entirely different beast.

Also, another thing I forgot that Opera has: mouse gestures. For fast navigation they are incredibly handy, and I don't know of any other browser that currently has them built in.
_________________
To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity.
-Howard Roark, The Fountainhead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10290
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured. I was just being a wiseguy Razz
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 715

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
If you value your sanity, don't participate in the comments on any of this Eich news. I've been doing that since the story first broke, and it's incredible how many people think that people complaining about Eich's promotion to CEO is actually being a jack-booted thug using the Tools of Oppression the same way Eich did; that Eich didn't do anything to the LGBT people at Mozilla because his actions weren't taking place on company time or with the company dime; that Eich has been bullied by the big GLAAD McCarthyist meanies and his life is now ruined foreverz.


I don't understand that argument. ESPECIALLY in light of recent supreme court rulings.

Money is Speech, and corporations are people. If that is the case, then Eich was the one who would be in control of the corporation's speech.

He has been shown to 'speak' terrible things in the past.

So other people no longer wanted to help give him money/a platform for speech.

SOMEHOW THIS IS EVIL.

/Yes I realize this is a bit simplified.
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17134
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: just another javelin catcher in the culture wars Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Frankly, professionally published commentary neglecting the salient points above and what I've already gone over is something I'd expect from angry threadjackers, not supposedly professional journalists and columnists who are ostensibly paid to produce insightful and illucidating content for consumption to make the issues clear. At this point it amounts to either inexcusable unfamiliarity or willful ignorance.
Non-pro tip to all you pros out there: If you're incapable of writing up something more facts-based, reality-oriented, and relevant than me, some anonymous loser with too much free time, you should really just be handing me your paycheck and column inches.


poor silly wheels. fox news has proven that journalists don't have to pay attention to "facts". especially not the ones that other people "believe in".
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1804
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/04/okcupid-ceo-donate-anti-gay-firefox

Quote:
Last week, the online dating site OkCupid switched up its homepage for Mozilla Firefox users. Upon opening the site, a message appeared encouraging members to curb their use of Firefox because the company's new CEO, Brendan Eich, allegedly opposes equality for gay couples—specifically, he donated $1000 to the campaign for the anti-gay Proposition 8 in 2008. "We've devoted the last ten years to bringing people—all people—together," the message read. "If individuals like Mr. Eich had their way, then roughly 8% of the relationships we've worked so hard to bring about would be illegal." The company's action went viral, and within a few days, Eich had resigned as CEO of Mozilla only weeks after taking up the post. On Thursday, OkCupid released a statement saying "We are pleased that OkCupid's boycott has brought tremendous awareness to the critical matter of equal rights for all individuals and partnerships."

But there's a hitch: OkCupid's co-founder and CEO Sam Yagan once donated to an anti-gay candidate. (Yagan is also CEO of Match.com.) Specifically, Yagan donated $500 to Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah) in 2004, reports Uncrunched. During his time as congressman from 1997 to 2009, Cannon voted for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, against a ban on sexual-orientation based job discrimination, and for prohibition of gay adoptions.


Whoops?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see a difference between voting for donating to a candidate who then goes on to vote somehow and directly voting for a state constitutional amendment?


Somehow I'm not surprised.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1804
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
You don't see a difference between voting for donating to a candidate who then goes on to vote somehow and directly voting for a state constitutional amendment?


Somehow I'm not surprised.


Yes, one is donating to a movement for a state-level constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage and the other is donating to a politician who voted for a federal constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17134
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except one presumes that said congressman voted on a lot more than just that. it's hard to find a representative who believes exactly as you do, and only as you do. sometimes you have to just try to pick the best of what is available.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9495

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OkCupid CEO Sam Yagan provided a statement to the SF Chronicle this morning clarifying the intentions behind his donation to Cannon and his stance on gay rights. Here it is in full:

"A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right."


bolded for mindslicer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6043
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only that, but let's not forget that it wasn't just any old anti-gay marriage group that Eich supported. it was the one that got its way on election day by using some vile stereotypes and falsehoods about gay people. so it would've been the guy who supported the campaign that told us that gay people want to corrupt your children that Mozilla would be trusting with overseeing its nondiscrimination policies and advocacy.

besides which, if corporations and the insanely wealthy are going to officially be the constituents who count the most in our electorate, then the firestorm that claimed Eich's job just amounts to campaigning against a politician who supported Prop 8.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1804
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Quote:
OkCupid CEO Sam Yagan provided a statement to the SF Chronicle this morning clarifying the intentions behind his donation to Cannon and his stance on gay rights. Here it is in full:

"A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right."


bolded for mindslicer


So same sex marriage is an important enough issue to him to encourage a boycott over and/or earn some positive PR, but not so important that it swayed him away from a supporting a politician who may have aided his burgeoning business interests. Hm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 715

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he didn't know that the person would vote that way.

Regardless, how is this defense of the Mozilla CEO? (I don't use OK cupid.)

Let's push this further, though.

Say he was donating to a political campaign that was pushing for a constitutional amendment to restore miscegenation laws. (Which, by the way, my wife's parents *ran afoul of* because Virginia was one of the last places to hold onto them.)

Would people's actions have been 'bad' or 'wrong' then?

I mean, this is, literally, the free market working exactly how free-market people say it should. YET SOMEHOW SUDDENLY THIS IS TERRIBLE AND HORRIBLE. Isn't this the sort of thing you've *said* would happen in, say, the absence of civil rights laws? People would refuse to do business with folks that discriminate?

Yet, now that it happens, OH MY GOD IT'S TERRIBLE! YOU'RE STIFLING HIS SPEECH!

Make up your goddamn mind.
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1804
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Or he didn't know that the person would vote that way.


Which would mean it wasn't an important enough issue for him to investigate the guy's position.

Quote:
Regardless, how is this defense of the Mozilla CEO? (I don't use OK cupid.)


Who said it was?

Quote:
I mean, this is, literally, the free market working exactly how free-market people say it should. YET SOMEHOW SUDDENLY THIS IS TERRIBLE AND HORRIBLE. Isn't this the sort of thing you've *said* would happen in, say, the absence of civil rights laws? People would refuse to do business with folks that discriminate?

Yet, now that it happens, OH MY GOD IT'S TERRIBLE! YOU'RE STIFLING HIS SPEECH!

Make up your goddamn mind.


It is an example of a free market working. I'm just curious if it will continue to work or if the people who worked to get rid of one CEO will rationalize themselves into defending another.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9495

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Sam wrote:
Quote:
OkCupid CEO Sam Yagan provided a statement to the SF Chronicle this morning clarifying the intentions behind his donation to Cannon and his stance on gay rights. Here it is in full:

"A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right."


bolded for mindslicer


So same sex marriage is an important enough issue to him to encourage a boycott over and/or earn some positive PR, but not so important that it swayed him away from a supporting a politician who may have aided his burgeoning business interests. Hm.


apparently i needed to bold more parts for you

i will also enlarge

Quote:
I would not make that contribution again today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3542
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/04/okcupid-ceo-donate-anti-gay-firefox

Quote:
Last week, the online dating site OkCupid switched up its homepage for Mozilla Firefox users. Upon opening the site, a message appeared encouraging members to curb their use of Firefox because the company's new CEO, Brendan Eich, allegedly opposes equality for gay couples—specifically, he donated $1000 to the campaign for the anti-gay Proposition 8 in 2008. "We've devoted the last ten years to bringing people—all people—together," the message read. "If individuals like Mr. Eich had their way, then roughly 8% of the relationships we've worked so hard to bring about would be illegal." The company's action went viral, and within a few days, Eich had resigned as CEO of Mozilla only weeks after taking up the post. On Thursday, OkCupid released a statement saying "We are pleased that OkCupid's boycott has brought tremendous awareness to the critical matter of equal rights for all individuals and partnerships."

But there's a hitch: OkCupid's co-founder and CEO Sam Yagan once donated to an anti-gay candidate. (Yagan is also CEO of Match.com.) Specifically, Yagan donated $500 to Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah) in 2004, reports Uncrunched. During his time as congressman from 1997 to 2009, Cannon voted for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, against a ban on sexual-orientation based job discrimination, and for prohibition of gay adoptions.


Whoops?



I've learned not to trust anyone that donates a significant amount of money to any cause nonanonymously.

In the end, publicity stunts are publicity stunts.

And jabs between 2 different companies always have ulterior motives.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 29 of 45

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group