welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
gray asexual just sounds awkward to me with the double 'a' sound. graysexual just seems like a natural portmanteau.

Gray ace doesn't sound awkward.

gray ace doesn't, but after reading gray asexual and gray-asexual over and over again for most of the night graysexual just seemed so much simpler.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take POP's or mini pill (Progestin Only) for my birth control. There is no Estrogen in them. I originally was taking them because I was breast feeding, but I just liked them so stuck with them. I have no side effects, and my sex drive is normal for me. I wonder if the Estrogen from the other pills messes with some women's sex drive?
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the ones I have were as low dose hormonally as they could make a pill. I don't know if that means they were progestin only or if they were just the lowest estrogen. I should really look into that.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I was told the ones I have were as low dose hormonally as they could make a pill. I don't know if that means they were progestin only or if they were just the lowest estrogen. I should really look into that.

If you have the lil booklet that comes in a new package, it should tell you. Mine actually refers to itself as POP's all throughout the lil booklet.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I think of the term Gray Ace, I picture a diesel punk type action hero. So that's how I'm going to think of you from how on, Samsally - a wizard in a 40s era plane.

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loathed the low dose birth control. Loathed. I don't think it reduced my sex drive but it might have - however I can't separate that from the sex drive lowering side effects of the lamictal so *shrug*.

Kilgore - what is the religious opposition?

Finn - as someone who has wrestled with the idea that maybe my medication defines me more than I do, I would say don't worry about it too much. Seriously. Once you go down the road of "what chemicals are firing that make me me more than I make me me?", well it gets ugly quick. So, my advice is to try the testosterone and see how you feel. If you don't like it, talk about not taking it or lowering the dose. A hormone my influence your personality but it doesn't change your values, your personality, or you.

Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka: Oh damnit, and of course I threw away all the packaging from the old stuff. Urrgh.

stripeypants: AWESOME.

Las: What did you hate so much about the low dose stuff?
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, I might be mixed up on what counts as Low. Let me summarize:
I took Seasonique and I got a flabby tummy, absolutely flat tits, and shitty acne. Loathed. It is however different for everyone.
I took Lo/Ovral in Mexico and was fucking stacked.
I took Yasmin and was super happy but it is expensive and has issues.
I now take Sprintec because it is cheap and it works just fine.

Soooo what I am saying is that birth control is weird. If I had the cash five years ago, I would have more seriously considered an IUD. But I didn't and now... well, I don't know what the future holds as far as kids but I should probably look into it. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what I take has no estrogen whatsoever so it's not low dose it's no dose. The one major reason other Moms I know have gone off it is because you have to take it at the exact same time everyday. You have a 3 hour window. I haven't had any problem with that, but I can imagine it makes some ladies nervous. The addition of estrogen increases your time window, so you don't have to be so punctual.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot! I got off birth control once (my insurance hadn't kicked in so I didn't have a current Rx). I hated that too. My hair started coming out and my nails got thin. I got back on birth control and started taking biotin.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Finn - as someone who has wrestled with the idea that maybe my medication defines me more than I do, I would say don't worry about it too much. Seriously. Once you go down the road of "what chemicals are firing that make me me more than I make me me?", well it gets ugly quick.

This has already been a big problem for me. I think I started over-intellectualizing everything as a coping strategy to avoid taking any responsibility. So everything became neurotransmitters this and hormone imbalance that and with the right chemicals I could convince my brain that everything was okay without actually addressing any actual issues. And I guess avoiding chemicals that would actually help because the changes they would make weren't congruent with my idea of who I should be and who I was trying to chemically adjust myself into being.

yeah... I don't know where that came from or if it's true or even makes sense. you're right, it gets ugly quick. I think I need to mull this over now.

TIAB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip away all of the labels that you use to identify yourself and you still exist. Don't concern yourself with the labels. Just be. If taking the medication seems right, take it. If not, then don't. Worrying about anything is just wasted energy.
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finn--did they tell you why your testosterone levels are low? like is it for sure because of the opioids?

on the IUDs...the experience i and other friends of mine have had is that a lot of times doctors won't put one in if you haven't birthed a baby yet because of the cervix and somehow it's riskier to put it in if your nulliparous. so...ask about that. i think some people will still do it, but it depends on the doc. a couple of them have denied me it (i wanted the copper one) because of not yet having spawned. :/

on the sexual identity subject..it's funny because it's something i've been kind of wondering a lot about for the past...idk, ten years or so? i don't know. it's hard to talk to people here because this area tends to be very conservative. maybe i'll join in that conversation another time. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ypu just want to chat quietly about gender identity sometime, PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
finn--did they tell you why your testosterone levels are low? like is it for sure because of the opioids?

they didn't tell me why, I just had a blood test which showed low levels and was told that opioids can cause it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 4 of 45

Jump to: