welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-22: For The Ladies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2691
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get this whole discussion. Zhuinden, are you like scared of anal sex or something?
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10712
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Geareye wrote:

Why will you continue sticking to views which you yourself recognise have no rational/factual support?


because you've made them into part of your identity and are therefore incapable of being reasonable about them until you get over that


same thing happens with politics and religion

All belief, no matter how seemingly rational, is eventually based on an irrational acceptance of something for which there is no proof. The only difference is how far you're willing to drill down before you accept an irrational position.

Personally, I prefer to keep them deep - I want as many layers of rational belief on top of them as possible. Some people are happy to keep their irrational beliefs right on top.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10359
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are they absolutes? What I mean is, isn't it more of a sliding scale of rationality/irrationality where everything is relative to something else and nothing is truly objective i.e. somethings are more irrational than others. I think as you move from generalizations to specifics you move towards the extreme ends of the spectrum. As I see it, believing that "a powerful entity set the forces of the universe in motion" is more rational (although not necessarily rational) than believing that "God had Noah put two of every creature on a boat and they survived a flood that destroyed the entire world".
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3395
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural is a stupid word. It has been bastardized o the point of having no fucking meaning whatsoever.

We may have decended from creatures who had cloacas. Therefore, anal sex is natural. Problem solved! (No, totes not going to support my argument, but you can't take my cloaca fantasies away from meeeee!)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10712
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point all of your beliefs are based on one absolute: either "because God," or, "because that's what I believe" (the former being, really, "because I believe in God.") You can find it by asking, "Why / why not?" to your every belief until you find one that has no valid reason.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3395
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I go with, "Because that's what I have learned"
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

There are a couple things I accept out of practicality, sure: the world is, for the most part, what the amalgamation of all my observations of it makes it seem to be, at least within the scope of my experience, and empirical evidence regarding it is mostly reliable. Neither of those are absolutes, either.


Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking of the sort of irrationality based in something like, "I am a Democrat yaaaaaaaa all Republicans are evil yaaaaaaaaa" or similar stupidity
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

you can't take my cloaca fantasies away from meeeee!


>:/


_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finnegan



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 1080
Location: in that cool mountain air, on an appalachian trail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look up what a cloaca was and found this. Now all of your cloaca fantasies can come true!
_________________
Formerly Green_Finn

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3395
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10712
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I disagree.

There are a couple things I accept out of practicality, sure: the world is, for the most part, what the amalgamation of all my observations of it makes it seem to be, at least within the scope of my experience, and empirical evidence regarding it is mostly reliable. Neither of those are absolutes, either.

As Descartes so aptly showed us, there is no reason to assume your senses are truthful. There is no way to test whether they reflect a real external world or a false one, because all evidence comes through them. We accept that our senses are accurate because it's a pain in the ass not to (there's no other way to get on in the world).

Quote:
Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking of the sort of irrationality based in something like, "I am a Democrat yaaaaaaaa all Republicans are evil yaaaaaaaaa" or similar stupidity

Oh, stereotypes and prejudices, okay. Yeah, those are irrational by definition.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can claim to know what's socially normal. Humans are an animal with no expected behaviour. The moment in which you claim that a person should believe and think X and Y and the alternatives are abnormal you are disrespecting the gift of free will.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geareye



Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Nobody can claim to know what's socially normal. Humans are an animal with no expected behaviour. The moment in which you claim that a person should believe and think X and Y and the alternatives are abnormal you are disrespecting the gift of free will.


You are not disrespecting free will, you are making a mistake. Because you assume that there is a codex, while there isn't one. Well, not an objectively true one, anyway.

Whether or not assuming there is a thing such as free will is also an arbitrary assumption or not, is also up to debate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6052
Location: California

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
As Descartes so aptly showed us, there is no reason to assume your senses are truthful. There is no way to test whether they reflect a real external world or a false one, because all evidence comes through them. We accept that our senses are accurate because it's a pain in the ass not to (there's no other way to get on in the world).


there's also the point that if our sense perceptions weren't generally reliable, our species would have been eaten or walked ourselves off cliffs or starved or whatever long before we ever reached the point of being able to question whether our sense perceptions are generally reliable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Nobody can claim to know what's socially normal. Humans are an animal with no expected behaviour. The moment in which you claim that a person should believe and think X and Y and the alternatives are abnormal you are disrespecting the gift of free will.


You are not disrespecting free will, you are making a mistake. Because you assume that there is a codex, while there isn't one. Well, not an objectively true one, anyway.

Whether or not assuming there is a thing such as free will is also an arbitrary assumption or not, is also up to debate.

There is no codex at all. Humans are individuals. We can know what's normal for a bee because all bees belonging to a certain category are supposed to live in the same way.

Humans have no code that they are expected to follow. Call it free will or individuality, it's there. Normal means nothing when applied to a human being.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group