welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-22: For The Ladies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get this whole discussion. Zhuinden, are you like scared of anal sex or something?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Geareye wrote:

Why will you continue sticking to views which you yourself recognise have no rational/factual support?

because you've made them into part of your identity and are therefore incapable of being reasonable about them until you get over that

same thing happens with politics and religion

All belief, no matter how seemingly rational, is eventually based on an irrational acceptance of something for which there is no proof. The only difference is how far you're willing to drill down before you accept an irrational position.

Personally, I prefer to keep them deep - I want as many layers of rational belief on top of them as possible. Some people are happy to keep their irrational beliefs right on top.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are they absolutes? What I mean is, isn't it more of a sliding scale of rationality/irrationality where everything is relative to something else and nothing is truly objective i.e. somethings are more irrational than others. I think as you move from generalizations to specifics you move towards the extreme ends of the spectrum. As I see it, believing that "a powerful entity set the forces of the universe in motion" is more rational (although not necessarily rational) than believing that "God had Noah put two of every creature on a boat and they survived a flood that destroyed the entire world".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural is a stupid word. It has been bastardized o the point of having no fucking meaning whatsoever.

We may have decended from creatures who had cloacas. Therefore, anal sex is natural. Problem solved! (No, totes not going to support my argument, but you can't take my cloaca fantasies away from meeeee!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point all of your beliefs are based on one absolute: either "because God," or, "because that's what I believe" (the former being, really, "because I believe in God.") You can find it by asking, "Why / why not?" to your every belief until you find one that has no valid reason.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I go with, "Because that's what I have learned"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

There are a couple things I accept out of practicality, sure: the world is, for the most part, what the amalgamation of all my observations of it makes it seem to be, at least within the scope of my experience, and empirical evidence regarding it is mostly reliable. Neither of those are absolutes, either.

Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking of the sort of irrationality based in something like, "I am a Democrat yaaaaaaaa all Republicans are evil yaaaaaaaaa" or similar stupidity
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

you can't take my cloaca fantasies away from meeeee!

>:/

Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look up what a cloaca was and found this. Now all of your cloaca fantasies can come true!

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I disagree.

There are a couple things I accept out of practicality, sure: the world is, for the most part, what the amalgamation of all my observations of it makes it seem to be, at least within the scope of my experience, and empirical evidence regarding it is mostly reliable. Neither of those are absolutes, either.

As Descartes so aptly showed us, there is no reason to assume your senses are truthful. There is no way to test whether they reflect a real external world or a false one, because all evidence comes through them. We accept that our senses are accurate because it's a pain in the ass not to (there's no other way to get on in the world).

Quote:
Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was thinking of the sort of irrationality based in something like, "I am a Democrat yaaaaaaaa all Republicans are evil yaaaaaaaaa" or similar stupidity

Oh, stereotypes and prejudices, okay. Yeah, those are irrational by definition.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can claim to know what's socially normal. Humans are an animal with no expected behaviour. The moment in which you claim that a person should believe and think X and Y and the alternatives are abnormal you are disrespecting the gift of free will.
Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Nobody can claim to know what's socially normal. Humans are an animal with no expected behaviour. The moment in which you claim that a person should believe and think X and Y and the alternatives are abnormal you are disrespecting the gift of free will.

You are not disrespecting free will, you are making a mistake. Because you assume that there is a codex, while there isn't one. Well, not an objectively true one, anyway.

Whether or not assuming there is a thing such as free will is also an arbitrary assumption or not, is also up to debate.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
As Descartes so aptly showed us, there is no reason to assume your senses are truthful. There is no way to test whether they reflect a real external world or a false one, because all evidence comes through them. We accept that our senses are accurate because it's a pain in the ass not to (there's no other way to get on in the world).

there's also the point that if our sense perceptions weren't generally reliable, our species would have been eaten or walked ourselves off cliffs or starved or whatever long before we ever reached the point of being able to question whether our sense perceptions are generally reliable.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Leohan wrote:

You are not disrespecting free will, you are making a mistake. Because you assume that there is a codex, while there isn't one. Well, not an objectively true one, anyway.

Whether or not assuming there is a thing such as free will is also an arbitrary assumption or not, is also up to debate.

There is no codex at all. Humans are individuals. We can know what's normal for a bee because all bees belonging to a certain category are supposed to live in the same way.

Humans have no code that they are expected to follow. Call it free will or individuality, it's there. Normal means nothing when applied to a human being.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: