welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-28: Cult of Masculinity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we to presume this is the first time Slick's noticed "hey, the mirror's not showing me what's in front of it"?

The fact that Tat uses not one but two gay symbols definitely means...something.

Okay, please follow me on this one, people. The women in the pit obviously aren't Devil People. It would be very much premature to just presume they're human women abducted from Sinfest-Prime (or whatever you want to call it).

So what are they?

Fembots?

Or Artificial Intelligences? Electronic digital constructs created for no other reason but to "act" in pornographic scenarios (just as Slick and the other characters themselves were, from our perspective, created, by Tat, for no other reason but to "act" in a webcomic) which is what I used to think the Devil Girls in the Bomf District were?

And if that is what they are, if they were created for no other reason but to be abused, if they otherwise would not exist at all...what does that mean?

Hm.

I wonder how long Tat will take to show us the circumstances under which Slick leaves the Mirror World. Or will Tat spend a few days back with 'Nique or Fern or Crim & Fuchsia or whoever before having Slick just show up as if nothing had happened, having returned behind the scenes?

"Yeah, boy, that was weird, wasn't it? Not gonna do that again, lemme tell you. Wonder where I should eat lunch today..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finnegan



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 1080
Location: in that cool mountain air, on an appalachian trail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice this on my first reading and maybe it was obvious to everyone else but slick is being given a choice: bow down and conform to the patriarchy or go in the pit and be ostracized. He chooses the former, but with obvious hesitation and reluctance, out of fear. that is how the patriarchy negatively affects men and is an example of forced masculinity for men.
_________________
Formerly Green_Finn

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lol



Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 136

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethruin wrote:

I find it offensive, heavy-handed, and just wrong.

From the symbolism, MASCULINITY BAD, to the omissions, I pretty sure there are male homosexuals and trans people who either start out male or are becoming male (no hate for them right? Its why they are not in the pit-o-doom, right?),and to the implied statements, "MEN MUST BE TRAINED TO BE GOOD PEOPLE" and "MEN ONLY THINK WITH THEIR DICKS", and the PATRIARCHY at the center of it all, lording over everyone like a massive erect cock; it just smacks of a bad political cartoon.

Tat has always been heavy-handed. It isn't some new development with the feminist strips.

You've misunderstood the comic though, which is strange considering how "heavy-handed" you claim it is. The comic doesn't imply that masculinity is bad or that all men are sex-obsessed. It illustrates the process by which masculinity is defined and enforced, as well as some damaging effects of this process.

The men here are victims, as are the people in the pit. I would think someone concerned with misandry would be happy about this. Instead, you've entirely missed the point of this "heavy-handed" strip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tricksterson



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Posts: 453

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I didn't notice this on my first reading and maybe it was obvious to everyone else but slick is being given a choice: bow down and conform to the patriarchy or go in the pit and be ostracized. He chooses the former, but with obvious hesitation and reluctance, out of fear. that is how the patriarchy negatively affects men and is an example of forced masculinity for men.

He doesn't bow down, instead he retreats into a fetal state so I would say he chooses a third option. Not necessarily a good one but still a third option.
_________________
I aim to misbehave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Valerie



Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 263

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
ethruin wrote:

I find it offensive, heavy-handed, and just wrong.

From the symbolism, MASCULINITY BAD, to the omissions, I pretty sure there are male homosexuals and trans people who either start out male or are becoming male (no hate for them right? Its why they are not in the pit-o-doom, right?),and to the implied statements, "MEN MUST BE TRAINED TO BE GOOD PEOPLE" and "MEN ONLY THINK WITH THEIR DICKS", and the PATRIARCHY at the center of it all, lording over everyone like a massive erect cock; it just smacks of a bad political cartoon.

Tat has always been heavy-handed. It isn't some new development with the feminist strips.

You've misunderstood the comic though, which is strange considering how "heavy-handed" you claim it is. The comic doesn't imply that masculinity is bad or that all men are sex-obsessed. It illustrates the process by which masculinity is defined and enforced, as well as some damaging effects of this process.

The men here are victims, as are the people in the pit. I would think someone concerned with misandry would be happy about this. Instead, you've entirely missed the point of this "heavy-handed" strip.


*applause*
_________________
Men and patriarchy aren't interchangeable.

Chat About
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Random Wanderer



Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
I didn't notice this on my first reading and maybe it was obvious to everyone else but slick is being given a choice: bow down and conform to the patriarchy or go in the pit and be ostracized. He chooses the former, but with obvious hesitation and reluctance, out of fear. that is how the patriarchy negatively affects men and is an example of forced masculinity for men.

He doesn't bow down, instead he retreats into a fetal state so I would say he chooses a third option. Not necessarily a good one but still a third option.

If you look again, he's down on one knee. He's kneeling in submission, as in offering fealty. It's not the total submission that the rest of the slaves around have gone to, but he has still knelt to it, rather than face the penalty of not doing so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3397
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized the guard was giving Slick a choice between submission or the pit. It's a slow morning for me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancore wrote:
Its just the way the story goes, Tat found a theme that he finally wanted to talk about as a story for his comic after like 8 years of random stuff. Yes its pretty political at times but at least its not a story about environmentalism. I'd totally bail on this comic if Tat ever said anything about that. Nothing sickens me more then not being able to pollute as much as I want to, if Tat told me "Stop that's bad" I'd probably jump from my 2 story apartment in rage. Then have a few choice comments on the forum afterwords... cause, anger.

...He did go with an environmentalist saga before this one. I'd also say that it was the biggest turning point in Sinfest, rather than the feminist saga.

Random Wanderer wrote:
If you look again, he's down on one knee. He's kneeling in submission, as in offering fealty. It's not the total submission that the rest of the slaves around have gone to, but he has still knelt to it, rather than face the penalty of not doing so.

Not totally subversive, but not all that submissive either.

Sounds about right.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper


Last edited by Leohan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John in Tronna



Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 71
Location: Not in Tronna anymore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
The fact that Tat uses not one but two gay symbols definitely means...something.


How many widely-recognizable gender- or sexuality-spectrum symbols are there? Pink triangle, rainbow flag, male and female symbols (Mars and Venus astrological symbols) -- I recognize those, I'm not sure I can name any more (other than variations or combos of the aforementioned). Maybe Tat just went with the ones he knew were the most recognizeable.

Quote:

Okay, please follow me on this one, people. The women in the pit obviously aren't Devil People. It would be very much premature to just presume they're human women abducted from Sinfest-Prime (or whatever you want to call it).

So what are they?

Who says they are all women? They may be all variations of non-straightcismale -- women of any variety, gay people, trans* people, even straight cis- males who perhaps do not achieve an acceptable level of testosterone-soaked masculinity.
_________________
Speaking of non-sequiturs...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Finnegan



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 1080
Location: in that cool mountain air, on an appalachian trail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John in Tronna wrote:
How many widely-recognizable gender- or sexuality-spectrum symbols are there? Pink triangle, rainbow flag, male and female symbols (Mars and Venus astrological symbols) -- I recognize those, I'm not sure I can name any more (other than variations or combos of the aforementioned)


List of LGBT symbols.
_________________
Formerly Green_Finn

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twenty-Fifth Night



Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 41
Location: Dreamland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I didn't notice this on my first reading and maybe it was obvious to everyone else but slick is being given a choice: bow down and conform to the patriarchy or go in the pit and be ostracized. He chooses the former, but with obvious hesitation and reluctance, out of fear. that is how the patriarchy negatively affects men and is an example of forced masculinity for men.


See! We DO suffer as well!

I have to admit I do get a bit bored by all the "Sisterhood blowing stuff up" strips, but this one seemed far more complex and interesting...

Of course, that could be just because it's about the male perspective. But I still enjoyed it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The women are not there to be objectified so no it's not devil people. They are examples of what happens when you don't comply.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a most excellent and evocative strip. *eyes big*
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty-Fifth Night wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
I didn't notice this on my first reading and maybe it was obvious to everyone else but slick is being given a choice: bow down and conform to the patriarchy or go in the pit and be ostracized. He chooses the former, but with obvious hesitation and reluctance, out of fear. that is how the patriarchy negatively affects men and is an example of forced masculinity for men.


See! We DO suffer as well!

I have to admit I do get a bit bored by all the "Sisterhood blowing stuff up" strips, but this one seemed far more complex and interesting...

Of course, that could be just because it's about the male perspective. But I still enjoyed it.


See, now violent impulse, every time someone comes here and says something like this as though we've ever EVERFUCKING EVER said otherwise, i want to blow up the world.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valerie



Joined: 02 Apr 2013
Posts: 263

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
[understandable anger]


*hugs*
_________________
Men and patriarchy aren't interchangeable.

Chat About
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group