welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MRA 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
funny, I skimmed down the front page of that reddit just now and all I saw were things like

*anti-circumcision activism
*complaints about society's relatively lenient attitudes towards female-on-male rape (to the point where it's not even called rape!) and sympathy for the victims
*an article complaining about the poor treatment a two-year-old boy wearing a pink headband received from some violent fucktard at WalMart
*sympathy towards male victims of domestic violence

WHOAA UR TOTALLY RITE THZ PPL ARE HORIBL AND THEY WOULD TOTALLY BE POSTING THIS STUFF IN THE FEMINISM REDDIT INSTEAD IF THEY WERE OKAY PPPL wait no, fuck you.

or maybe I'm just not looking at it on the right day maybe they're just as awful as the redpill jerkwads most of the time maybe, or maybe I didn't read deep enough and if I'd actually read through all of the posts I would have seen deep systematic substantially-worse-than-feminism things running through absolutely everything without exception maybe, or maybe you actually meant to link to the redpill reddit but instead linked to that one by mistake, maybe maybe maybe
or maybe you're just an asshole

Funny I saw the standrard MRM whinefest, intermingled with rapeapologia, inferring that women typically lie about abuse and absurd conspiracy theories. Or what about this little gem:
"I posit a simple consideration: If the 'patriarchy' really does exist, its very existence proves in and of itself that men are superior to women, and thus that women are inferior to men.

Patriarchy theory assumes that men have created an institutionalized advantage for themselves in society. But if men and women had been equal from the start of civilization, then such a systematic oppressive system could never have been introduced in the first place, because the equally capable women would have been able to prevent its establishment from ever occurring.

Thus, I conclude that the suggestion that patriarchy exists is a suggestion that women are - and always have been - inferior to men, as evidenced by their incapability to prevent and/or remove said patriarchy from existing."
Rolling Eyes
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, you found a fuckspigot on reddit that thought they were making a clever argument by demonstrating that the assumptions they were trying to discredit led to a self-defeating and all-around undesirable logical conclusion, but in actuality they just made themselves look like a jackass.

How embarrassing!

Him

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I found plenty. Most times by headline alone. I can make it a daily feature if you like. After all that's what this thread is for so what better source of the constant stream of awfullness than the reddit group can you find?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Neat, you found a fuckspigot on reddit that thought they were making a clever argument by demonstrating that the assumptions they were trying to discredit led to a self-defeating and all-around undesirable logical conclusion, but in actuality they just made themselves look like a jackass.

How embarrassing!

If you dislike me so much don't go stealing my swears Razz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Actually I found plenty. Most times by headline alone. I can make it a daily feature if you like. After all that's what this thread is for so what better source of the constant stream of awfullness than the reddit group can you find?

Oooh...A daily feature! I approve.

First thing I saw when I clicked that link was someone complaining about a woman not being punished for being a rapist. Based on past experience, I'll bet the conversation was basically,

"Y'all want equal rights, but you won't take the bad with the good. Therefore women are irresponsible children. Therefore, men are the natural caretakers of women, and the law should require them to give in to their real submissive sides rather than pretending to be independent. Feminists are like teenagers experiencing a rebellious phase, and for that they need to be 'corrected.' Erego feminism is a poison."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Him wrote:

First thing I saw when I clicked that link was someone complaining about a woman not being punished for being a rapist. Based on past experience, I'll bet the conversation was basically,

"Y'all want equal rights, but you won't take the bad with the good. Therefore women are irresponsible children. Therefore, men are the natural caretakers of women, and the law should require them to give in to their real submissive sides rather than pretending to be independent. Feminists are like teenagers experiencing a rebellious phase, and for that they need to be 'corrected.' Erego feminism is a poison."

Not saying I support everything that is said in that reddit (or anything that's said in it, I don't do reddit), but in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde: when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

If you dislike me so much don't go stealing my swears Razz

But it's such a good swear! I have to acknowledge genius when I see it!

The Fuckspigot Hypothesis:
There will be fuckspigots.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." - Oscar Wilde
But let's see how the sub-reddit deals with what is you know a legitimate instance of horrible, as in a female cop shooting a homeless guy.
"You know, we've been talking a lot about fitness standards in this subreddit - how female firefighters, police officers, and soldiers all have easier fitness tests than the men.

This shooting is an example of why that is a terrible idea. That officer should not have needed to use deadly force immediately. The man was unarmed and did not need to die.

Fire fighters should be big strong people so that they can carry injured people out of burning buildings. Police officers should be big strong people so they can feel confident to handle themselves in dangerous situations without immediately relying on deadly force.

If an officer cannot handle themselves, they put everyone at risk of injury - Themselves for being too weak, their partner for being unable to back them up properly, and the public they are trying to protect because they are unable to handle a situation properly without resorting to deadly force."

Or to summarize, women shouldn't be firefighters or cops because women are weak.

"I hate how this is basically as bad as the Zimmerman case but people don't care half as much. "
"Misandry" and racism against black people are totally just as bad you guys.

Of course, that's a kind of stupid comparison to make So I am glad to see someone called him out on that...oh wait:
"Basically? Not even close to the same thing. There's actual proof in this case there was an injustice that occurred. She should get the death penalty. "

To which the poster has to concede that: "I agree I just said that because most black people take that case very seriously. Didn't want to piss anyone off."

But maybe it's just that thread, right? After all we can't judge based on a single thread, so let's go on.

Here, another mess of complete fucking idiocy. Don't believe me? feel free to have a look.
Some highlights: I like how the classic argument about 'male power fantasy' is simply accepted at face value: "Guys have big muscles in games because it's a reflection of guys having power, but girls are sexy in games because guys want to see sexy girls!"

Says who?

You can't just make a claim like that and not back it up. Has anyone ever called out the person who has made this claim? Why are they the deciding factor on what guys and girls 'want' out of a game?"

"There's a shitton of beauty products that I really, really doubt are marketed at men. The commercials that make men out to be buffoons aren't marketed at men. Many movies and television shows are marketed at women.

Anyway, I give 6:1 odds the original claimant didn't even try to seriously research overall marketing trends before making that claim, if they actually even said what's being circulated. 10:1 odds it's a woozle."

"That argument is so fucking retarded. Not even guy stuff is totally guy stuff any more. We have pink uniforms in the NFL now, for fucks sake. Everything the NFL does they do to get more women interested in the game. Same with wrestling, video games, everything. It's not ok for something to be marketed just toward men any longer."

"you mean...

gasp

women inject their priorities and tastes into any discussion in order to make it about themselves, exposing their recklessly solipsistic tendencies?

No way!"

Oh god the irony of this statement is just too much.

Naturally the rest of the thread descends into discussions about 50 shades of grey and twilight. Naturally the conclusion is, about the existence of male power fantasies in general: "They say it's still because they genuinely cannot conceive of any perspective outside their; they're blind to viewing things from the male perspective (even if that 'thing' they're trying to understand is the phenomenon of 'men' themselves...huh). It's an intellectual perspective that's wholly solipsistic. I think people should generally stay away from perspectives such as this."

This is also instructive for their understanding, or lack of rather, of what power fantasy even refers to: "Lara Croft is a female power fantasy and, at the same time, atractive to males"

And it goes on and on and on and on and on....even the most benign comments in that thread seems to come from a place of ignorance.

So when I said I'd be doing this every day...eh perhaps not. But I could try to do it regularly.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Him wrote:

Not saying I support everything that is said in that reddit (or anything that's said in it, I don't do reddit), but in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde: when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.

Not in this case. I've seen this stuff enough to know I don't feel like doing more than skimming it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be pretty good as a daily feature, if only so we could snark the hell out of the horrible crap that they say. But I wouldn't want to be reading threads and threads of the stuff, simply the choicest of the misogyny, sexism and racism of the MRAs all wrapped up with a big bigoted ribbon. Maybe the ribbon is Reddit? I don't know, that analogy stopped making sense towards the end.

Edit: Fuuuck I just went on A Voice For Men looking for something to rip apart and just... nope. Reading Elam's words is like slowly driving an ice pick into my brain. He's just so fucking condescending, I imagine him typing that shit with a smug smile on his face thinking to himself "yes, I am doing a good thing".
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I didn't look at it in depth because my brain/laziness was trying to protect me from something

maybe I just wanted to believe that there was a place for those issues that wasn't flooded in dudebros who didn't actually care and were just exploiting them for shitty rhetoric

maybE
Him

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
maybe I didn't look at it in depth because my brain/laziness was trying to protect me from something

maybe I just wanted to believe that there was a place for those issues that wasn't flooded in dudebros who didn't actually care and were just exploiting them for shitty rhetoric

maybE

Which kind of brings me back to this. And which is also why I try to remember to put "Men's Rights" within quotes.

Ennis wrote:
I think it would be pretty good as a daily feature, if only so we could snark the hell out of the horrible crap that they say. But I wouldn't want to be reading threads and threads of the stuff, simply the choicest of the misogyny, sexism and racism of the MRAs all wrapped up with a big bigoted ribbon. Maybe the ribbon is Reddit? I don't know, that analogy stopped making sense towards the end.

Edit: Fuuuck I just went on A Voice For Men looking for something to rip apart and just... nope. Reading Elam's words is like slowly driving an ice pick into my brain. He's just so fucking condescending, I imagine him typing that shit with a smug smile on his face thinking to himself "yes, I am doing a good thing".

manboobz.com *kind of* does that already. Although I suppose glancing over the subreddit for horrible things to mock can still fill a purpose.

AVfM? Why not read the comments. Twisted Evil
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

maybE

Does this mean you'll stop complaining about how feminists are jerkbutts who have no reason to take issue with MRA's? Or is that something you think is unrelated to this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, *are* we allowed to talk about things that MRA's also talk about, that I think are important?

Such as, say, circumcision?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Him

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Out of curiosity, *are* we allowed to talk about things that MRA's also talk about, that I think are important?

Such as, say, circumcision?

Uh yes. I think the practice of what seems to be pretty much mandatory circumcision in the U.S is obscene. Why is it that way anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 29 of 34

Jump to: