welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MRA 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Though not HR, I do share the believe that circumcission *at childhood* should be stopped, unless there really is an overarchig medical reason (foreskin is too short, will not retract fully, etc. Though those, I think, don't show up until adolesence?)

If they wish to have their foreskin removed *When they are capable of making their own decisions* as a religious rite-of-passage, that should be OK and legal *as long as they are of legal age to make the decision, and not pressured into it*.

But unnecessary surgery on a bit of anatomy that is pretty much only going to be seen by the parents and the child until adolesence, *ESPECIALLY* for reasons of "So they will look normal", is wrong. Yeah, it'll probably hurt more if they get circumcised as an adult. Or, rather, they'll *remember* it hurting, as opposed to being too young to. I also think getting your baby's ears pierced is pretty screwed up, too.

I am of this opinion as well. I also think that parents and other people making decisions about children should not be allowed to perform gender assigning surgeries for a medically unnecessary reason to children with ambiguous genitalia - and I think these two opinions go well together.

Oh I fucking agree wholeheartedly. The kid has ambiguous genetalia? Let them decide later in life what they want to do with it! Are you afraid they'll get made fun of for it? For fucks sake, they'll get made fun of for THEIR HAIR COLOR, so don't do major surgery on your kids when they can't consent (unless, of course, it's life-saving/necessary-Apendectomy when they have apendicitis, etc etc. I realize you don't disagree here, I'm just being overly-precise.)

TIAB: I think it's just because we are talking about unnecessary surgery in general? Unsure.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
I also think getting your baby's ears pierced is pretty screwed up, too.

There may be a connection to getting a babies ears pierced and nickel allergies in adult life, especially if you use 14k studs during the healing process. Something about the age vs. likelihood of allergy.

You are introducing nickel to a healing wound that the body perceives the nickel as the cause and later in life still recognizes nickel as harmful.

This can happen later in life as well. It's why a lot of experienced piercers suggest either surgical grade stainless, or pure 99.99% silver for piercings. Gold should generally be avoided when the piercing is first healing, both in pure and lower-karat forms. Apparently titanium is also becoming a popular material for piercings for the same reason.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Right, I totally agree. The benefits of eliminating all risk of cuticle cancer totally outweighed all of the risk of surgically removing toenails back in the day, and also the benefits of the toenails themselves. Especially when the closest thing to disinfectant used was the mohel's mouth! And I'm sure there's no particular reason those evolved the way they did or anything, either. Excellent point, that's totally why the tradition developed.

It's also why we routinely do mastectomy at birth, appendectomy at birth, tonsillectomy at birth, etc, and have done for millennia!

Hey, don't joke about cuticle cancer. That's serious business. And as a related side note, I recommend everyone here go their local manicurist to get your monthly check up.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I left it ambiguous which belief I was calling "fucking evil," TIAB. If you still don't know, then check out what Eiden said immediately before I said that.

The others summed the rest up well.
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't my question.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part where I said "the other summed the rest up pretty well" answered your question, but if you want me to answer it more directly, I'd just like to point something out that I think should have been blindingly obvious to you: I'm basing my argument on the child's rights, so do you honestly think I'd be against adults doing whatever they wanted to their own bodies?

Unless your "question" (or, rather, your vague passive suggestion) was actually " regardless of anyone's reasons for wanting it done (to children incapable of consent and without immediate medical need)"? In which case, yeah, your apologetics for that shit can go roll around in fecal matter and parasitic fly larvae because that's something that I refuse to tolerate.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"argument" would be extremely generous
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO WALL OF TEXT FOR YOU, SHADOWCELL
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd settle for "not embodying that Nietzsche quote about monsters and abysses," really.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON AN UNRELATED NOTE:

My apologies to Monkey. You're an ass but I was wrong.

ON A RELATED NOTE:
What? In the context of that quote, all I've done is point out that there is a monster.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover is a monster.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not in the context of the quote

and you know it

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
This can happen later in life as well. It's why a lot of experienced piercers suggest either surgical grade stainless, or pure 99.99% silver for piercings. Gold should generally be avoided when the piercing is first healing, both in pure and lower-karat forms. Apparently titanium is also becoming a popular material for piercings for the same reason.

It can happen anytime an allergen is exposed to weakened/damaged tissue. There was an upswing in peanut allergies decades ago that people later realized was the result of peanut oil being used in baby oil that was put on diaper rash.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Grover is a monster.

At the end of a book, too.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
ON AN UNRELATED NOTE:

My apologies to Monkey. You're an ass but I was wrong.

Apology unnecessary, I'm fully aware that there are people I otherwise have no problem with on this forum who would prefer a nicer/friendlier environment. I'm also aware that my posting "style" is likely to aggravate them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: