welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[4/30/13] I'm Perfectly Safe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Ok, here's a wild theory.

Tat wanted to do something similar but possibly less creepy with Slick. Decided against it since he's been showing some levels of progress, and he decided that Kcils would be a good replacement.

Otherwise, I can't really see why he would do the cookie thing. I think that Kcils wouldn't pride himself a lot from that, nor would he be so susceptible to rejection.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think that woman looks quite a bit like this woman?

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4046

Yinello wrote:
Ronald wrote:
There's also the option of interpreting her actions as indicating prejudice against Devil People. Might she have not reacted so strongly if it had been Regular Slick instead of Devil Slick?

Seriously, who the heck knows how Tat's playing with us any more?

...Are you trying to make her the bad person or were you genuinely just trying to find a new aspect to the comic.

I really hope it's the latter.

I wasn't doing either. I didn't even try to find the new aspect, I saw it immediately, pointed it out for consideration, and, well, departed.

I'm not at all trying to cast the woman as bad. I perfectly understand why Devil Slick frightened her. I think it's remotely possible that he didn't intend to frighten her, though, that he's seriously just that clueless.

Slick-Prime used to make advances exactly like that (or worse) toward women fairly often and none of them ever acted as if they were afraid of him.

Which is probably the whole point of the strip. Or something.

===

To put it bluntly, the woman is behaving in a way that no Anonymous Sinfest Woman(c) has ever behaved before when presented with a clueless advance. In a way, it's almost like she's the one from another dimension; she's operating under a different set of emotional physics (OSLT).

She is reacting in a way that Sinfest has, like it or not, taught us is not the way that Anonymous Sinfest Women(c) react.

There's nothing wrong with that but it must mean something.

The only difference between this situation and dozens of prior situations is that it's Devil Slick, not Slick-Prime, making the clueless advance.

I haven't hit on the exact keyword for the archives, but are here a few examples:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=700

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=808

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=889

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2537

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3514
(see following strip for her reaction)
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on Xanthe's reaction, we can assume that other people can't see Kcils's horns/tail, because she reacted based on having seen /Slick/. Because of that I'm assuming that Slick and Kcils are the same person, but Kcils is the evil aspect of Slick's personality- so whenever we see Slick do something that's bad enough that it needs to be highlighted, he'll have horns and a tail. It's like Tat's way of telling us when Slick's being a gross evil dickhead, as opposed to just being clueless.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
why is she holding her purse as if he was a robber?

Maybe she thinks he might be a robber. Seriously, you couldn't think of that yourself?
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
Based on Xanthe's reaction, we can assume that other people can't see Kcils's horns/tail, because she reacted based on having seen /Slick/. Because of that I'm assuming that Slick and Kcils are the same person, but Kcils is the evil aspect of Slick's personality- so whenever we see Slick do something that's bad enough that it needs to be highlighted, he'll have horns and a tail. It's like Tat's way of telling us when Slick's being a gross evil dickhead, as opposed to just being clueless.

I interpreted it to be that, with Slick in the Mirror World (see last Sunday's strip), it's going to be All Devil Slick, All The Time, until Tat establishes that Slick has returned. But seriously, who the heck knows? It's not as if Tat's bothered to explain any of this to us...
Vancore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:

I interpreted it to be that, with Slick in the Mirror World (see last Sunday's strip), it's going to be All Devil Slick, All The Time, until Tat establishes that Slick has returned. But seriously, who the heck knows? It's not as if Tat's bothered to explain any of this to us...

Which leads to a buncha Theory's. It's sorta funny, even after a comic like this where the guy in question is yelling out a bunch of things related to Slick people are still wondering who the heck he is. Maybe Tat was too subtle with sleaze.

That said slick gained his alter ego after that first comic Ronald posted so maybe she was reacting to Slicks Devil form as well as what he said, she was pulling out a can of kreeptonite. Or she could be reacting that way cause he jumped out of the bushes at her once (I Believe it was her) so the devilform could be representing what we the audience see. Or mirrorworld mechanics that have no explanation.

I don't like Leohan's theory, sounds sloppy. Not that comic artists and writers haven't done stuff like that before, reboots, retcons, general mistakes, lazyness, etc. Then theirs also writing yourself into a hole where the explanation is lamer then not knowing at all (For example the TV show Lost, it was great when the viewers didn't know what the hell was going on. Lead to all sorts of Theory's many better then the actual answers. Since the writers were kinda lost themselves.

Seeing as he's somewhat important story-wise Tat probably has an idea or two about what he is, or maybe he doesn't.
Phox

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i think with this i shall continue to hold my view that it isn't slick and another person it is just Slick's Id and his Super Ego. When there i a reflective surface around i guess due to the laws of comedy here and slick must remain unloved you may show the Id or Super ego... not sure which it would be though i think it should be the ID being the more of what the other guy is.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I just realized:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4306
(I'd kinda like to know what 'Nique's thoughts were following that moment. Did she see that it was Devil Slick?)

If Kreeptonite works on Devil Slick, does that mean he's from Kreepton, home planet of creeps?

For no particular reason:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1928

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2359
(remember the Doc Samson shirt?)
Jody

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Wait, I just realized:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4306
(I'd kinda like to know what 'Nique's thoughts were following that moment. Did she see that it was Devil Slick?)

If Kreeptonite works on Devil Slick, does that mean he's from Kreepton, home planet of creeps?

That was pretty obvious creep behavior going on there. And unless we have seen more of Kreepton we can assume that was a joke.

Smile
LadySunami

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
I'm not at all trying to cast the woman as bad. I perfectly understand why Devil Slick frightened her. I think it's remotely possible that he didn't intend to frighten her, though, that he's seriously just that clueless.

Slick-Prime used to make advances exactly like that (or worse) toward women fairly often and none of them ever acted as if they were afraid of him.

Which is probably the whole point of the strip. Or something.

===

To put it bluntly, the woman is behaving in a way that no Anonymous Sinfest Woman(c) has ever behaved before when presented with a clueless advance. In a way, it's almost like she's the one from another dimension; she's operating under a different set of emotional physics (OSLT).

She is reacting in a way that Sinfest has, like it or not, taught us is not the way that Anonymous Sinfest Women(c) react.

There's nothing wrong with that but it must mean something.

The only difference between this situation and dozens of prior situations is that it's Devil Slick, not Slick-Prime, making the clueless advance.

Devil slick often walks around at night, so my thought was it is probably night time.
Someone harassing you in the middle of the day in a busy area is just annoying. Someone harassing you at night with no one around is terrifying!

It could also be he thinks his past depictions of female reactions were incorrect in the case of many women, and portrayed it differently here for that reason.
Valerie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Devil slick often walks around at night, so my thought was it is probably night time.
Someone harassing you in the middle of the day in a busy area is just annoying. Someone harassing you at night with no one around is terrifying!

It really is. I was walking home from work one night and a guy on his bike rode up next to me and started asking my name, where I worked, said he had seen me walking home before... I was scared the entire walk home, even after he'd left, because apparently this dude could know where I live. That was the night I bought my first can of pepper-spray.

Anyway, as good a point as that was, I think this strip takes place during the day. The sky is light, and there are shadows on the ground. Even so, we can't see anyone else around, so it's possible that the two of them are alone, which is scary even when it's light out.

LadySunami wrote:
It could also be he thinks his past depictions of female reactions were incorrect in the case of many women, and portrayed it differently here for that reason.

This is likely, at least I think so. A lot of things have changed since those old strips. Though, honestly, some women do react the way the women in the earlier strips did. We're so used to being harrassed that a lot of us are just like, "Eh, whatever."

Chat About
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:

Excellent point, but in a way, the reactions of Anonymous Sinfest Women(c) have been presented to be as much an integral component of the Sinfestiverse as the existence of Devil Booths, talking pigs, and the rest.

For most of the strip's history, women have unfailingly reacted rather blase-ly to Slick's advances, not one of them finding him to be at all threatening -- the law of gravity is applied less consistently in this strip than is such action/reaction -- so the abrupt change, no matter what else you can say about it, is sort of jarring. IMHO.

All that said (but wait, there's more), it seems a bit odd that Tat could decide those were "incorrect" reactions from the women when he created the women. If all of the women had the type of personality (however one might describe such a personality) that let them just shrug Slick's advances away, well, that's part of their characters. It's hardly as if a character needs a name to have definable characterization in this strip.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people think "Every Breath You Take" is a romantic song. Those that know better are horrified by it. Sting, for instance, called the song 'sinister,' and he doesn't get why people think it is a love song.

A lot of people think the scene in 'Elf' where Buddy, a grown man, sneaks into the women's shower room at his workplace while a female coworker showers, is very cute. It is creepy as fuck. But since Buddy is the 'good guy' that we know is 'safe,' we are supposed to find his creepy, unacceptable behavior endearing,

(Incidentally, they sing "Baby It's Cold Outside," a song in which a man pressures a woman to stay for sex. A 'romantic' Christmas song.)

It is possible to think at one time that something is innocuous and sweet, and at another to discover it is problematic and creepy. Tat has displayed that he is disgusted with misogyny, and that he is writing things differently now - so I don't see any reason to consider this odd.

In other words, when Tat was a dudebro, he spoke like a dudebro, thought like a dudebro, and reasoned like a dudebro. Now he is no longer a dudebro, and he has put dudebro crap behind him.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really pay a lot of attention to lyrics, so when I finally actually -listened- to "Baby it's Cold Outside" I was super creeped out. It was even more surreal because the next time I was in a store and it started playing everybody around me was totally non-responsive to the fact that they were listening to a song about date rape. The irony is I was probably that person, just toning it out, up until it was brought to my attention.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the song as a kid, because I found heterocentrism really annoying and boring. But I totally missed the date rape thing until someone pointed it out. The line, "Hey, what's in this drink?" is so creepy.

I recently watched a horror film called "Carnival of Souls." In it, a woman moves to a boarding house that has a landlady and a male tenant around her age. He does every creepy thing, like calling her out as mean when she refuses his advances so she'll prove to him she's nice by spending more time with him. He sneaks pressures her to go out with him to a bar even though she says she doesn't like dancing or alcohol, and when she caves, he yells at her for not enjoying dancing or drinking. Every so often he says she's afraid of men. Then after some more of the story happens, he decides she's crazy and leaves her stranded.

I can't tell if the creator of the film understood why this man was creepy, or if he was doing a morality play to say that girls who don't get along nicely with society have to deal with jerks. But I bet a lot of film-goers didn't find it creepy because he was a date rapist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: