Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yoga and why I feel Sinfest s telling me to get the hell out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16640
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
mouse wrote:
a pun (no 'e' in english) is a play on words. or a play with words. word-play. (most plays i guess are done with words).

what is a pune?


You must go forth and familiarize yourself with Terry Pratchett. Like, right now. Go! Go and do it! Your world will be better for it.


i think i have read most of pratchett, but that's not ringing a bell - got a book you can reference? (what can i say, i'm getting old and i forget stuff)
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1025

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just his character's way of explaining un-funny word jokes to each other.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Pune
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16640
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, wee free men - now i seem to hear a faint tingling.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 649

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
ok, wee free men - now i seem to hear a faint tingling.


I wanna say it shows up in at least one other Witches book, and/or a Watch book.

TO THE GOOGLES!

Okay it appears it shows up a LOT, actually.

Including with Carrot (which makes sense, given his upbringing), and, well, DEATH, in Hogfather.

Death: Let's get there and sleigh them. Ho. Ho. Ho.
Albert: Right you are, Master.
Death: That was a pune, or play on words, Albert. I don't know if you noticed.
Albert: I'm laughing like hell deep down, sir.
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 915
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I welcome you!

I am sorry if you feel that I or others do not.

You must not worry too much about the way people behave around you. If we are to be hostile, we should tell you simply and frankly.

And some advice- you must not be discouraged if people on this forum are impolite to you. Some of us simply communicate that way, others use impoliteness as a way of telling you that they think you are out of line, and some of us just get angry at times.

If you really piss someone off, don't worry. We all do that sometimes. Just keep participating, and try to be honest and fair in your posts, and you won't have too much of a problem. Conflict is temporary.

Welcome to the community!
_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rothide



Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 785

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
on the other hand, if that is the case, then you--all you people who hate this stuff--are helping ensure that it continues by continuing to visit his site and look at his comic and post on his forum

which is lol to the max man


Ya know, I can appreciate that Irony. Specially since I have add blocker. Hehe.
_________________
The Angry Asshat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 5899
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't stop it from recording the hits that you claim are driving him to continue this Sisterhood storyline

you are part of the problem, man. you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pint



Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Posts: 614

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure your teacher didn't mean anything by your comment and may have even been joking to lighten the mood. You didn't go back to a class because of something that was most likely taken out of context. From the viewpoint of a yoga instructor, I think you should pull the instructor aside give feedback to the her. Let her know the comment made you uncomfortable. Or you can check in with yourself and figure out whats going on in your life/mind which made you take offense to the comment. I teach plenty of classes with both sexes in them and haven't had an issue yet. Figure out whats going on with you and try it again.




Also... I would be lying if I said I read all four pages completely...

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Strawberrycocoa



Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint wrote:
I'm sure your teacher didn't mean anything by your comment and may have even been joking to lighten the mood. You didn't go back to a class because of something that was most likely taken out of context. From the viewpoint of a yoga instructor, I think you should pull the instructor aside give feedback to the her. Let her know the comment made you uncomfortable. Or you can check in with yourself and figure out whats going on in your life/mind which made you take offense to the comment. I teach plenty of classes with both sexes in them and haven't had an issue yet. Figure out whats going on with you and try it again.




Also... I would be lying if I said I read all four pages completely...



Well, this was about four years ago when it happened. I am somewhat less timid nowadays. If it happened today I probably would talk to her privately about it. But thank you for the moral support. Smile

The incident always stuck in my mind because it's one of the only times I was actively called out for being different. I'm all about inclusion, and the idea of saying someone can't perform X activity because they are different from the other members is illogical and mind-bogglingly silly to me. I mean this about exclusion in general, not necessarily my particular experience.

I guess thinking about it, the reason I related it to Sinfest is that some of the Patriarchy strips that focus on subjugation and degradation, and the "Kill All Men" "Men Can't Ever Be Trusted" strips where it feels like the enemy is being made out to be males as a whole, kind of ignites an exclusionary vibe to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
I welcome you!

I am sorry if you feel that I or others do not.

You must not worry too much about the way people behave around you. If we are to be hostile, we should tell you simply and frankly.

And some advice- you must not be discouraged if people on this forum are impolite to you. Some of us simply communicate that way, others use impoliteness as a way of telling you that they think you are out of line, and some of us just get angry at times.

If you really piss someone off, don't worry. We all do that sometimes. Just keep participating, and try to be honest and fair in your posts, and you won't have too much of a problem. Conflict is temporary.

Welcome to the community!


Thou art a very wise mustachioed cat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibson22



Joined: 01 Jul 2012
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Yoga and why I feel Sinfest s telling me to get the hell Reply with quote

Strawberrycocoa wrote:


I don't know for sure what her intent or reasoning behind this was, and maybe I was just being over-sensitive at the time, but being singled out in front of the entire class like that for being the different one, having my gender called out openly and having a big deal made about it in front of everyone didn't feel welcoming. It felt exclusionary. I felt very strongly like the underlaying message was, "We don't want you here and you need to leave." But in a way that didn't sound like it on the surface.

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. :\


Kind of funny, because when I was in high school I had the exact opposite problem. I was very, VERY slow on the uptake when someone didn't want me there. I didn't really know how to read subtlety or anything like that. It would take people telling me to go away for me to do just that.

I think I can understand maybe why they might not have wanted a man in a Yoga class if it was a gym like "Curves" where it is a gym that specifically caters to women. (I hear from quite a few sisters in my church that they don't like going to the gym because they always feel like they are being watched, hence the reason for gyms like Curves).

Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable there just avoid it. I know it was four years ago and you've probably moved on since then, but there's no point in stressing out yourself to make people accept you. As long as you stay a good person, patient, and understanding, I feel that more often than not people will grow to like you and trust you.

And to echo the sentiment: "Welcome to the Community!" Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3152

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberrycocoa wrote:
Pint wrote:
I'm sure your teacher didn't mean anything by your comment and may have even been joking to lighten the mood. You didn't go back to a class because of something that was most likely taken out of context. From the viewpoint of a yoga instructor, I think you should pull the instructor aside give feedback to the her. Let her know the comment made you uncomfortable. Or you can check in with yourself and figure out whats going on in your life/mind which made you take offense to the comment. I teach plenty of classes with both sexes in them and haven't had an issue yet. Figure out whats going on with you and try it again.




Also... I would be lying if I said I read all four pages completely...



Well, this was about four years ago when it happened. I am somewhat less timid nowadays. If it happened today I probably would talk to her privately about it. But thank you for the moral support. Smile

The incident always stuck in my mind because it's one of the only times I was actively called out for being different. I'm all about inclusion, and the idea of saying someone can't perform X activity because they are different from the other members is illogical and mind-bogglingly silly to me. I mean this about exclusion in general, not necessarily my particular experience.

I guess thinking about it, the reason I related it to Sinfest is that some of the Patriarchy strips that focus on subjugation and degradation, and the "Kill All Men" "Men Can't Ever Be Trusted" strips where it feels like the enemy is being made out to be males as a whole, kind of ignites an exclusionary vibe to me.


If you're reading Kill all men or Men cant ever be trusted into these strips you're being quite defensive. Or you associate creepy dirtbag behavior with manhood, which is misandrist.

Also, its ok for you to be inclusionist, but frankly as a privileged section of society you should probably accept that the less privileged members of society often seek "safe spaces" and your insistence on being included in their safe spaces can make them uncomfortable.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alpha Aim



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very interesting welcome at that.
_________________
Back to my usual spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aboutwhistles



Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 140

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you had an awkward experience with a yoga teacher, ONCE, FOUR YEARS AGO, and you came here to complain about /discrimination against men/? You even admit that was one of the only times that you've felt not welcomed anywhere. Wow. I'm done. Sinfest is a safe space for feminists, feminist allies, and men who aren't dickbags. If you think that critiquing /masculinity/, and the understandable distrust that some of us have for random men on the street, is misandrist, then you need to back the fuck up and get some perspective. You felt uncomfortable in a yoga class once? I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WALKING DOWN THE STREET EVERY DAY. Jesus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3152

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
Wait, you had an awkward experience with a yoga teacher, ONCE, FOUR YEARS AGO, and you came here to complain about /discrimination against men/? You even admit that was one of the only times that you've felt not welcomed anywhere. Wow. I'm done. Sinfest is a safe space for feminists, feminist allies, and men who aren't dickbags. If you think that critiquing /masculinity/, and the understandable distrust that some of us have for random men on the street, is misandrist, then you need to back the fuck up and get some perspective. You felt uncomfortable in a yoga class once? I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WALKING DOWN THE STREET EVERY DAY. Jesus.


Sinfest isn't a safe space for anyone, it just happens to be more welcoming to the feminist/feminist ally crowd currently. No one is safe.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group