welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/1/2013 - a big heaping helping of B
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Raal wrote:
I strongly believe it reflects Tat's desire to swing the B&-Hammer

Then That should read the constitution first.
You don't change the world by silencing dissenters - that olny creates division and sweep under the rug the resentment that builds slowly against you.

Jesus Christ.

Why are so many hyper-masculine MRAs such hysterical queens? Not just you specifically, Cray, but this is some pretty -- PARDON ME -- cray shit you're fucking spouting up here.

Are you saying that if Tat bans people (which he has done so fucking rarely in the fifteen or however many years, unlike, I don't know, EVERY OTHER FUCKING FORUM ON THE INTERNET) he is going to incite some sort of people's revolution against him? The people will rise up and take his forum off him?

It's an internet forum, you fucking knob.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Raal wrote:
I strongly believe it reflects Tat's desire to swing the B&-Hammer

Then That should read the constitution first.
You don't change the world by silencing dissenters - that olny creates division and sweep under the rug the resentment that builds slowly against you.

If it's her blog or forum or whatever it is, she's under no obligation to allow objectionable speech. She's the moderator, she can ban whoever she wants. That's how it works.

If you walk into somebody's house and start yapping at them, don't be surprised if they call the cops to haul you out of there. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can make your speech just wherever the heck you want to. There are venues.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Because we totally need to unite with people who believe in corrective rape.

Uh...I'm thinking "Dudebro" (Tat couldn't have sprung for a new name? we see that word often enough as it is) is just saying, in effect, "she needs to get laid." That's crude but it's hardly what you're interpreting it to mean.

But I could be wrong.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Uh...I'm thinking "Dudebro" (Tat couldn't have sprung for a new name? we see that word often enough as it is) is just saying, in effect, "she needs to get laid." That's crude but it's hardly what you're interpreting it to mean.

But I could be wrong.

Actually you're right. It's an odd mindset that if people get sex suddenly they're a gazillion times nicer (and with nice, they mean compliant to their wishes).
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a crude way of saying "Lighten up".
Guu

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely assumed Tat meant 'D' as in 'D-man' and nothing else. Dudebro was saying she'd be back to her fun self, and though he's arguing by absolutes and I don't agree with him, he has a point (of sorts). It occurs to me that most of the female characters in this strip have completely forgotten how to have fun and spend all their time in cynical pseudo-feminist bitterness. When did we last see Monique have any fun? Why did Tat turn all of his women into "misery chicks" (except for a few of the devil girls)?

On a side note, check out Sinfest's wiki entry for Monique:
"Confident and sexy, 'Nique has a fluid temperament but a kind heart. She can cause men to spontaneously combust by shaking her rear at them. For much of the comic's history she enjoyed using her looks to toy with boys, but she eventually experienced a feminist awakening, cut her purple hair even shorter and adopted an androgynous wardrobe. Her stage name as a spoken word artist is It-Girl."

Felgraf wrote:
It occured to me after reading this strip:

While I suspect we are supposed to assume the 'D' is, well, *that* (because there are people in this world WHO REALLY SAY AND BELIEVE THINGS LIKE THAT)...

In the context of the Sinfest World, it is entirely possible the poster also *meant* The 'D'evil. A bit of the old bomf bomf aaannnnddd now that is a euphamism in my head damnit that is not what I meant brain.
Arthain

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw this out there but sex does actually lighten a person up.

The act of having sex and reaching a climax increases the level of oxytocin and endorphins in the body. This goes for both males and females.

Oxytocin has been well researched and it reduces blood pressure, stress, and comes with other benefits as well. Good for getting rid of minor headaches as it lowers the blood pressure in your brain. High levels of Estrogen actually enhances the effect of oxytocin so this has a greater effect on females than males.

Endorphins as well stimulates a euphoric reaction in an individual that improves mood and can actually be used as a cure for minor headaches as well as it dulls pain.

I don't think that's what the strip was trying to portray but just thought I'd throw it out there that yes, getting laid DOES indeed actually make you a more friendly and light hearted individual because of how the chemicals that are released during the sexual stimulation affect your mind and body. Of course this all depends on whether or not it's consensual.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Just thought I'd throw this out there but sex does actually lighten a person up.

The act of having sex and reaching a climax increases the level of oxytocin and endorphins in the body. This goes for both males and females.

Oxytocin has been well researched and it reduces blood pressure, stress, and comes with other benefits as well. Good for getting rid of minor headaches as it lowers the blood pressure in your brain. High levels of Estrogen actually enhances the effect of oxytocin so this has a greater effect on females than males.

Endorphins as well stimulates a euphoric reaction in an individual that improves mood and can actually be used as a cure for minor headaches as well as it dulls pain.

I don't think that's what the strip was trying to portray but just thought I'd throw it out there that yes, getting laid DOES indeed actually make you a more friendly and light hearted individual because of how the chemicals that are released during the sexual stimulation affect your mind and body. Of course this all depends on whether or not it's consensual.

Good sex can do that for you, but that still doesn't make you nice to assholes. Like I said, I doubt Dudebro wants her to be just 'nice', they just want her to do what he wants.

Also @Guu:

Valerie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Is that a thing?

There are people who think you can rape the gay/trans out of someone, yes. I assume it's the same principle as thinking you can beat the gay/trans out of someone.

Because violence and stupidity are BFFs.

Anyway, I dunno for sure if that's what Minique's poster meant. He probably just meant "she needs to get laid," not raped. HOWEVER, that is also offensive, because there's a stereotype that feminists are just angry women who don't get any.

Which is a lie. I, for example, am an angry woman who gets some on a regular basis. Cool It doesn't change my feminism, and it wouldn't change Monique's.

Chat About
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article about how lesbian women in Africa get raped by a lot of men so that she'll become straight. It made me want to puke.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say, 'Nique and Fern sure had a grand old time hanging out together! As evidenced by the smiles on their faces. So I don't know where you're getting this "humorless feminist" idea from.

Edit: and Nana/Xanthe/Rick Astley. Nana's literally dancing with happiness. Xanthe expressed an audible lol. LOOK, THEY HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:

I don't think that's what the strip was trying to portray but just thought I'd throw it out there that yes, getting laid DOES indeed actually make you a more friendly and light hearted individual because of how the chemicals that are released during the sexual stimulation affect your mind and body.

So how come doctors never write prescriptions for it? Wink
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

But I could be wrong.

Actually you're right. It's an odd mindset that if people get sex suddenly they're a gazillion times nicer (and with nice, they mean compliant to their wishes).

Well, to be fair, I've heard of people saying that to women and to men, not so much about compliance but just because they think the women and men are in too bad a mood OSLT. But I dunno.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guu wrote:
I completely assumed Tat meant 'D' as in 'D-man' and nothing else.

How familiar are you with Tumblr? Tat makes quite a few references to memes that originated there, lately. The D and the usage of a fedora as Mr. Dudebro's icon certainly are examples of this.

aboutwhistles wrote:
Edit: and Nana/Xanthe/Rick Astley. Nana's literally dancing with happiness. Xanthe expressed an audible lol. LOOK, THEY HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Even though Xanthe was kind of in a bad mood in that strip, Nana was cheering her up and making her laugh. Like, I dunno how anyone could get the impression that feminists are all bitter angry women when Nana exists. I mean. NANA!!! NANA IS A FEMINIST! SHE'S IN THE SISTERHOOD! SHE'S ONE OF THE HAPPIEST, MOST LOVING, FRIENDLY AND GENTLE CHARACTERS IN SINFEST!!! But she's also not afraid to kick your ass if you're a jackass. She's tough and loving, and kind and I just. What the frick, people.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The implication is "you need to have sex" and the further implication is "You need to have sex with me, since I'm right here and made the suggestion" and the further implication is, "I am the heterosexual sex master who can fix you via sex." This is said to women who aren't behaving 'correctly.'

And yes, corrective rape is a thing. It is used against lesbians in particular, and in some countries it is not illegal to do. The belief is that women behaving inappropriately are broken and must be re-trained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: