welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/1/2013 - a big heaping helping of B
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3315

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Because we totally need to unite with people who believe in corrective rape.


Uh...I'm thinking "Dudebro" (Tat couldn't have sprung for a new name? we see that word often enough as it is) is just saying, in effect, "she needs to get laid." That's crude but it's hardly what you're interpreting it to mean.

But I could be wrong.


Actually you're right. It's an odd mindset that if people get sex suddenly they're a gazillion times nicer (and with nice, they mean compliant to their wishes).


Well, to be fair, I've heard of people saying that to women and to men, not so much about compliance but just because they think the women and men are in too bad a mood OSLT. But I dunno.



Who said anything about it only happening to women and why did you feel the need to point out that it happens to men too there? There was no gender indication in what Yinello typed there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3243
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
I think you're all taking the meaning of the comic too literally.

My opinion is that Tat is getting upset at all the negativity and vitriol being spewed back and forth on these forums. Not just here in this forum when controversial comics are posted but in all areas. And is planning on doing some clean up if it doesn't change, if he hasn't already started.

I see it as a warning to people to cool down and have civil conversations and stop attacking or insulting the people, irregardless of their opinions.

I lurk these forums from time to time and it's just mind boggling how poisonous the atmosphere here can get the moment ANYTHING controversial appears in one of Tat's strips or in a thread elsewhere. While not everyone is malicious both sides of the argument have people that would much rather attack the person than the argument.


He's had Minique ban people before, and nary a ban hammer was seen then.

The forums are often full of vitriol. He tends to make comics addressing it rather than descend upon us and lay out his wrath.

At any rate, if he did start banning the masses, he is most likely not banning the people you think he will (IE: Monkey, since so many newbies get mad about his existence.).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Guu



Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also @Guu:
[image]

@Yinello
Ah, I meant to qualify that as "not at others' expense" but I did not. Still, your example is a good one and I enjoyed seeing Monique laugh again. I really want to see these women (and all women) enjoying their lives, being happy, laughing at themselves as well as the rest of the world. It's hard seeing anyone so dour all the time (misery chicks? misery dudes?) and it's really getting old.

I took several years off of this strip (unrelated turn off that seems to have stopped) but now after several months back I feel like I've had a concern brought to my attention (though I knew about it before) where I've nodded and agreed, then had that same concern repeated ad nauseum. Worse, perhaps, is that very little in the way of a solutions are suggested, short of some kind of French-style revolution with all men as the bourgeoisie.

It's become really misandrist and it is disappointing and insulting. There was so much I enjoyed about this strip and most of it is just gone now, replaced by this self-indulgent and utterly predictable material. It's still drawn really well, and there have been some fine stylistic examples (particularly the Sunday strips), but wow the man-bashing continues unabated.

So, why am I still here? I'm here because I'm hopeful the things I enjoyed will return. No, I do not want Monique to start shaking her ass again, I am not against character development and change, but it seems to be all about the man-hate now and likely won't change until Tat has fully worked out his issues. I'll give it some time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knappetroll



Joined: 20 Oct 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
the further implication is "You need to have sex with me, since I'm right here and made the suggestion" and the further implication is, "I am the heterosexual sex master who can fix you via sex." This is said to women who aren't behaving 'correctly.'


really, you actually think so?

Because if that would be the case, then what about when it's used on someone of the same sex/someone whom the person saying it does not want to have sex with (Which as far as I've seen is the case in the majority of the time this line is used.).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6039
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you actually identify with what's being bashed here, Guu, then you are a bad person and you should feel bad, although you probably won't precisely because you are a bad person, and either way you should leave.

because, after all, Tat isn't man-hating. he's misogynistic fuckwit-hating.

you aren't here because you "hope it will change," you're here because you're full of shit and you're the same pathetic sockpuppet we've been beating down for the past year on this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6039
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better yet!



that's him! it's Tat, the artist, telling you to fuck off! it's glorious and i love that this was posted on my birthday because it is the greatest gift ever
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3243
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappetroll wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
the further implication is "You need to have sex with me, since I'm right here and made the suggestion" and the further implication is, "I am the heterosexual sex master who can fix you via sex." This is said to women who aren't behaving 'correctly.'


really, you actually think so?

Because if that would be the case, then what about when it's used on someone of the same sex/someone whom the person saying it does not want to have sex with (Which as far as I've seen is the case in the majority of the time this line is used.).


Are you saying that only gay people say this?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knappetroll



Joined: 20 Oct 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
knappetroll wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
the further implication is "You need to have sex with me, since I'm right here and made the suggestion" and the further implication is, "I am the heterosexual sex master who can fix you via sex." This is said to women who aren't behaving 'correctly.'


really, you actually think so?

Because if that would be the case, then what about when it's used on someone of the same sex/someone whom the person saying it does not want to have sex with (Which as far as I've seen is the case in the majority of the time this line is used.).


Are you saying that only gay people say this?


No, no I'm not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
crayven wrote:
Raal wrote:
I strongly believe it reflects Tat's desire to swing the B&-Hammer

Then That should read the constitution first.
You don't change the world by silencing dissenters - that olny creates division and sweep under the rug the resentment that builds slowly against you.


Someone's confusing "free speech" with "freedom from consequences", I see. Smile

You need to check your vision then because silencing forcefully different opinions doesn't get your points across.
And people wonder why right-wing groups are so prevalent among the disenfranchised...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6039
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be a lot more meaningful if it wasn't coming from the poster boy for trying to silence people and refusing to ever address or consider anyone's points

which you are also failing to do here, interestingly enough!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Aim wrote:
But I wish he'd show Minique doing something else. I'm beginning to associate her with banning people. That, and wearing divisive glasses.

Playing devil's advocate here this time but yeah, there's nothing TO SAY to people who think someone needs a "good portion of D" just because they have some different views - no matter how whacky they are.
It's pretty much saying "yeah well i got no arguments but here's some stupid shit i am going to say that will make me feel better and insult you".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
that would be a lot more meaningful if it wasn't coming from the poster boy for trying to silence people and refusing to ever address or consider anyone's points

which you are also failing to do here, interestingly enough!

I haven't tried to silence anyone, nor i could even if i wanted to.
And unlike most of you here probably, i have been a moderator to a rather awful community filled with people that make the sarcasm and attacks here seem like child's play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jody



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Jody wrote:
crayven wrote:
Raal wrote:
I strongly believe it reflects Tat's desire to swing the B&-Hammer

Then That should read the constitution first.
You don't change the world by silencing dissenters - that olny creates division and sweep under the rug the resentment that builds slowly against you.


Someone's confusing "free speech" with "freedom from consequences", I see. Smile

You need to check your vision then because silencing forcefully different opinions doesn't get your points across.
And people wonder why right-wing groups are so prevalent among the disenfranchised...


You still don't get it. It's been addressed - repeatedly - in this very thread.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want wherever. Privately owned forums are well within their rights to oust people that make vague threats, and he's well within his rights to go cry about it to the rest of the dudebros. Nobody is stopping him.

In short, you're crying that he can't spew objectionable material aimed directly at someone, in some place he isn't wanted (private property, no less), and get away with it.

See, we don't wonder why you guys are so disenfranchised. We know perfectly well why. You, however, have no idea, and never will.

Which is the problem. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
crayven wrote:
Jody wrote:
crayven wrote:
Raal wrote:
I strongly believe it reflects Tat's desire to swing the B&-Hammer

Then That should read the constitution first.
You don't change the world by silencing dissenters - that olny creates division and sweep under the rug the resentment that builds slowly against you.


Someone's confusing "free speech" with "freedom from consequences", I see. Smile

You need to check your vision then because silencing forcefully different opinions doesn't get your points across.
And people wonder why right-wing groups are so prevalent among the disenfranchised...


You still don't get it. It's been addressed - repeatedly - in this very thread.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want wherever. Privately owned forums are well within their rights to oust people that make vague threats, annd he's well within his rights to go cry to the rest of the dudebros. Nobody is stopping him.

In short, you're crying that he can't spew objectionable material aimed directly at someone, in some place he isn't wanted (private property, no less), and get away with it.

See, we don't wonder why you guys are so disenfranchised. We know perfectly well why. You, however, have no idea, and never will.

Which is the problem. Smile

1. I agree the making of threats is off the charts. However banning is not always the solution.
No i'm not "crying" that he can't spew his "material" , i am just trying to make a point that - ironically for someone who claims i don't get it - you don't get.

Also i thought freedom of speech meant to allow people saying stuff you do not agree with, otherwise it's not really freedom of speech, now is it?

2. I am not disenfranchised, where i live there is no such insanity as you people describe as your perfect world, and no we don't "oppress" women either. Ironically in "socialist Europe" things work out just fine. It's jsut America that's messed up.

However you don't seem to grasp the idea that belittling angry groups will not make the mgo away, and since the economic crisis, what was once 'fringe" is quickly becoming mainstream.
this policy of "sweeping under the rug the annoying problems" is building a time bomb. You should instead address these issues.


Last edited by crayven on Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6039
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will notice, i'm sure, that nobody is stopping you from saying anything
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group