welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitcoins! Cargo Cult Economy of the Future!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
I don't think you're using the word "literally" correctly. Also I can't tell if you're joking or not. If it were anyone else I'd say yes, it's a bit of wry humour, but based on past experience you could in fact have convinced yourself that one person not doing something affected an entire currency system for your benefit.

Breathe in deeply.

That's the famous Essence of Thy™ you are experiencing.

Swim in it.

Make love to it.

It is my gift to you.

Cherish it forever.

Note: May relieve back pain and revitalize your ability to express good will towards all.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
most techy books are published by the completely unrelated O'Reilly Media, so Bill O'Reilly is the last thing on my mind when I first read a post talking about O'Reilly and server updates

Hence the linking.
(Incidentally the original draft of my post featured the derpy-fixing-503-error GIF [Pronounced with a hard G].)

Sam wrote:
wired picked it up
expected true believer response: this is only GOOD news for bitcoin! UP UP UP

Wired couldn't resist throwing in behind bitcoin either. I'm not really surprised.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawl.

“Bank” that claimed to solve Bitcoin’s security problem robbed, shuts down
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitcoin exchange ceo killed herself Sad

it took the bitcoin community .00001 seconds to spin it into an elaborate statist surveillance world conspiracy
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
bitcoin exchange ceo killed herself Sad

it took the bitcoin community .00001 seconds to spin it into an elaborate statist surveillance world conspiracy

And this is why I think you are inherently evil.

Look at yourself.

You are bragging about someone's death in order to attempt to fuel dismissive remarks towards a community you don't even participate in.

This. is. why. I. cannot. trust. you.

Reevaluate your priorities in life man.

Alternatively:

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry, is Thy "you are beating me at this internet argument because your ego is so fragile since you broke up with your girlfriend" Brilliance trying to pass himself off as some moral arbiter?

go fuck yourself you disgusting piece of shit.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh...thy? you realize that emoticon sam used, the little ' Sad ' one, that's a _sad_ face, right? and that people don't put on a sad face when they are "bragging about someone's death"?

although the trophy thing is good. here - you can have one for not liking sam:

Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i'm sorry, is Thy trying to pass himself off as some moral arbiter?

The one and only baby, you haven't even seen my best hits newbie. This shit don't fly with Thy, and I'll call you out on it anytime.

And mouse, I've always been willing to be sam's friend, but he really needs to take a few deep breaths and ask what's he doing with himself.

PS: Don't let the childish emote fool you, sam could give a shit about the CEO, and I personally would never make light of someones death using an emote.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
i'm sorry, is Thy trying to pass himself off as some moral arbiter?

The one and only baby, you haven't even seen my best hits newbie. This shit don't fly with Thy, and I'll call you out on it anytime.

And mouse, I've always been willing to be sam's friend, but he really needs to take a few deep breaths and ask what's he doing with himself.

PS: Don't let the childish emote fool you, sam could give a shit about the CEO, and I personally would never make light of someones death using an emote.

It is becoming increasingly clearer that society would be best served if you were a ward of the state.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Thy is claiming that i'm bragging about her death, that's completely false, of course.

It's really honestly better to not engage him overlong about it. He's mentally ill, he won't change his mind, and he's becoming worryingly fixative and obsessive about me (note where simultaneously he's convinced or is for some reason dishonestly insisting I'm putting sojobo up to responses he's making completely independent of me). None of his interactions on this forum regarding me help him in any way and if anything just make his interactions more concerning.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
If Thy is claiming that i'm bragging about her death, that's completely false, of course.

It's really honestly better to not engage him overlong about it. He's mentally ill, he won't change his mind, and he's becoming worryingly fixative and obsessive about me (note where simultaneously he's convinced or is for some reason dishonestly insisting I'm putting sojobo up to responses he's making completely independent of me). None of his interactions on this forum regarding me help him in any way and if anything just make his interactions more concerning.

Trust me sam, you have no idea how helpful this is.

I know I got you good when you start resorting to the typical slanderous bullshit.

You know very well that I can't be interested in you because we haven't really talked in years.

Sure is interesting how you attempt to ignore me, but then start making slanderous comments about me whenever you feel like you aren't getting enough attention. Then you actually get mad at other people when they talk to me.

Says a lot really.

I've decided that it simply wiser to block your posts.

Cause you sure are incapable of blocking mine.

That way, you can't claim that I'm obsessed with you, and you'll simply have to spread your misery elsewhere.

Of course, if you apologize over pm, I'll be glad to remove the block.

Cya
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Wait, you can block posts? Cool! How?
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know very well that I can't be interested in you because we haven't really talked in years.

.. apropos of which this is some amazing capacity for doublethought?

poor dude.

anyway.

if he's actually blocking me (we can't assume the truth of his statements, because Thy) it means he'll finally stop responding to my posts. fucking hooray! or, uh, i mean DARN he sure got me good. shucks that wiseacre figured out my secret weakness. I sure hope he doesn't ever actually read my posts after this, it would be totally awful and prove him right if he never talked to me or about me ever again!!!!

Quote:
... Wait, you can block posts? Cool! How?

there's mods for this crusty old phpbb board you can install.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only we could get him to block everyone.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another.

Meanwhile, Ars Technica has set up their own cryptocurrency as a learning exercise. They centralized it by tying everything to servers they control so that there's no risk of a "real" economy building up around them, and the only things you can do besides trade ARS with other uses is buy fancy accoutrements for your username when you post a comment.

The whole thing is an exercise in laying out this "altcoin" aspect of cryptocurrencies, where people fork the code from Bitcoin and create their own _____coin. The process has become ridiculously easy, which in part explains the proliferation of _____coin systems out there. One of my favorite quotes from an altcoin booster they interviewed:
Quote:
You can create these economies out of nothing!

Which is exactly why this bubble will pop eventually.

After a while they'll shut the thing down, sending all those ARS into the ether. It's really comparable to Gaia Online's gold system. Except where Gaia's gold experienced a massive inflation (because more people were earning it and the cost to earn it was always trivial, therefore pumping tons of it into the Gaia economy in short order), the gets-harder-to-mine-over-time aspect of ARS makes massive deflation the rule. Just like other cryptocurrencies, it was easy to get the stuff with ordinary CPUs and then GPUs when there were only a few people doing it. Within a day of going public, though, the amount of effort it takes to successfully "mine" ARS has gone up exponentially, and even people with a few GPUs running flat-out can't exactly rake it in anymore. That hasn't stopped people from using some crazy hardware to do it, even though there's no chance of ever getting real money from it.

I was gifted 1,000 ARS on day 1 and promptly spent it wisely. GAZE upon the power of my 5 no hats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 31 of 44

Jump to: